Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Jeep Cherokee Class C?

New RVer here. We have a 2021 Tiffin Wayfarer class c. Do you think jeep grand Cherokee is too heavy to tow. It says we have 5000 pound hitch weight. Have any of you towed a grand Cherokee with class C Wayfarer. If so, what has been your experience in terms of speed, damage, and control? This is overwhelming to pick a car. We want something stable and I don’t feel safe driving in small 2,500 lb cars. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Andi w is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #2

How much does the Grand Cherokee weigh? Not sure, but I’d bet it’s at the upper limit of your RV towing capacity.
I flat tow my 2005 Wrangler with my 2018 Wayfarer and it does fine, but I bet it’s considerably lighter than a GC.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #3

It depends on the trim level, but a flat towable (only certain transmission options) recent model Grand Cherokee will weigh in around 4,500 - 4,600 pounds empty. You did not ask, but a regular Cherokee, not Grand Cherokee (built on a different body) weighs in at 4,050 - 4,200 pounds depending on trim level and options (note with the Cherokee only ones equipped with Active Drive II can be flat towed).
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:16 PM   #4

Typically factory weights listed are for base models. 4WD, skid plates, accessories, etc add considerable weight. Our Cherokee which is considerably smaller weighs over 4400 lbs.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #5

I am sure a lot of it is those heavy skid plates on the Trailhawk, our Overland which does not have the optional skid plates, but has all the tech bells and whistles, weighs in at just under 4,200 pounds empty.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jeep Cherokee Class C?

Andi w,
Since you mentioned you were new to RVing, there are a couple of important numbers you need to be aware of on your Sprinter Chassis based Wayfarer. There should be a sticker on the driver’s side door which tells you the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) and it will be somewhere around 800 to 1500lbs. CCC is the weight of passengers, water (@ 8lbs/gallon) and your stuff. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) for a Sprinter is 11,030lbs. This is the weight of your rig (including fuel and propane) plus the passengers, water, and stuff. You should load your rig for a trip and then have it weighted with all passengers/pets aboard. There are CAT scales at most truck stops. Cost is about $10. If you are over 11,030lbs, the rig is over loaded according to the manufacturer. The Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) for a Sprinter is 15,249lbs. This is the total weight of your rig plus passengers, water, stuff and the trailer/toad. Subtract the weight of your rig (as weighted at a CAT scale) from 15,249 and that is the amount you can safely tow. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Edit: Note, just because the hitch says 5,000lbs, doesn’t mean you can safely tow that amount.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:58 PM   #7

Wow, thank you for the insight. I had no idea but you laid it out so nicely that I will just follow that formula. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I’m learning a lot in a very short time! I’m sure it will all be worth it! Have a wonderful weekend, or what’s left of it!��
Old 04-04-2021, 12:00 AM   #8

That is so helpful! Thank you so much! ��
Old 04-05-2021, 05:37 AM   #9

Had originally planned on flat-towing my Jeep Grand Cherokee but after getting it weighed it was around 4900#. That was too close to the weight rating for me so we decided to flat tow the wifes Ford Focus which was around 2000# less.
NHBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi w View Post
Wow, thank you for the insight. I had no idea but you laid it out so nicely that I will just follow that formula. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I’m learning a lot in a very short time! I’m sure it will all be worth it! Have a wonderful weekend, or what’s left of it!��

I’m glad the information was useful. Enjoy your new rig. Safe Travels!
Old 04-05-2021, 11:47 PM   #11

Well, that’s a big difference! Nice!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
O tow a Grand Cherokee and sometimes my 2dr wrangler. All of my coaches allowed for 6k to 8.5k hitch weight.

I agree with others, that the GK is too near the max for safety. I love both of my jeeps and the tow beautifully, but too close to your limit.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #13

Many States (eg California) say that anything over 3500lbs must have braking system. Factor that into your decision.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #14

I think it would be a lot for your RV. Do you want to traveling all the time at your max? I would not do it.

Tags
cherokee, class c, jeep