Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Jeep for a Toad

Since we purchased a “C” to take to Alaska and hit some of the older National Parks I have a question.
We are thinking a Jeep Wrangler 2 door style.
Anything I need to know specific to Jeep Toads?
Are there any years/ models to avoid?
Thanks
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

Having been a Jeep owner for 65 years, I would avoid any of the automatic transmission units after Jeep became a part of Chrysler and subsequently Fiat; and then locate a straight 4.0 liter six cylinder model year from 2002 and through 2006 for a bullet proof engine. Be sure you drive a Wrangler before you settle on one as a tow behind vehicle. They are twitchy on gravel roads. My wife will have nothing to do with mine, so we tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've been towing my 2015 Wrangler for many years now and love it. I use a Stay-n-Play brake systems and a Blue Ox tow bar. Mine is an automatic which doesn't affect towing due to the transfer case. Easy to set up and take off on a trip. Good solid engine, poor mileage tho. I had a non-factory key made to use while it's hooked up for towing ( no one can steal the thing because it will not start using that key ).
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #4

We towed a Toyota MR2 Spyder for our first three RV seasons, 2007-2009.

We learned that we needed a 4x4 vehicle to be more adventurous so a Wrangler was planned. When at home, my wife wanted it to be her "at-home" vehicle, but after one test drive at a local dealership, she quickly realized the Wrangler is not "domestic friendly" for her. One thing led to an other and in the end we bought a low mileage three year old 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4. It was a great compromise. We still own and tow it today. My wife loves it more than ever with no plan to ever make a change. It's "her" Jeep. With only 82,000 miles on it today, we'll be keeping it going for many more years.

The only issue towing the Liberty may be common with any vehicle. Turning sharp with the motor home is hard on the Liberty's front tires causing chaffing on the tire threads. When starting a tight turn with the motor home, at first the rear of the MH swings out in the opposing direction. This causes the tow vehicle to start turning slightly in the wrong direction, then has to quickly turn sharp in the proper direction to follow along. This condition chews up the front tires. So we own two sets of stock tires on stock wheels. One set is reserved for use on vacation and the other set when at home. Driving the damaged tires around the house is just too noisy for my wife.

I think if we had custom off-road tires and wheels that stick out farther than stock, tire damage would be more severe. Other custom suspension changes may make matters worse yet.

2late is asking about a Wrangler, but maybe some of what I shared concerning our Liberty can be applied to a Wrangler.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #5

We just bought a 2013 Unlimited Sahara for our towed vehicle. If you have a gas class C, check your allowed tow weight rating and all the other weights. My Jeep has an approximate curb weight of 4,600lbs based on the weight stickers (GVWR - max payload). I have to watch what I add to it to keep the weight below my 5k max.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

Put in the year, make and model, etc and Remco will tell you what you want to know about any vehicle as far as 4 down towing is concerned.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #7

We have a 2015 JKU Rubicon, it’s actually my daily driver. We use the Ready-Brute tow bar with the built in brake system and mounting it with a Currie Enterprises low profile/skid/tow plate. The newer JK Jeep are so easy to hook up and be on the road, they don’t have a steering wheel lock so no need to tow with a key on, pop the transfer case into neutral and with our towbar setup I can be hooked up and ready to roll in about 5-8 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F3E69D2-277A-4BC7-8645-8AAC2C96AA77.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	236040  
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

We haven’t made a 100% decision yet.
The Jeep Liberty would suit also,
Thanks for the information.
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #9

We pull a 2018 Jeep Wrangler 2 door with our Minnie Winnie 31G with no problem. I choose the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and followed this guys videos for installation (https://youtu.be/GDid5PpEuF4). The hook up and disconnect couldn't be any easier. There are instructions in the Wrangler's owners manual to put it in and out of tow mode.
motts461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jeeps are born Toads! Just make sure you get one with neutral for the transfer case. I'm currently having a new Cherokee setup as our latest toad, with the Ready Brute tow bar/braking that I've used before.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motts461 View Post
We pull a 2018 Jeep Wrangler 2 door with our Minnie Winnie 31G with no problem. I choose the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and followed this guys videos for installation (https://youtu.be/GDid5PpEuF4). The hook up and disconnect couldn't be any easier. There are instructions in the Wrangler's owners manual to put it in and out of tow mode.

I did the same exact thing - these videos were great!
JJ Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 14 JKUR, all modded and lifted, big tires. If I was going to tow one I would look for a 2 door, stock suspension, stock tires, stock bumpers. Auto trans. The newer 5 speed auto has been a good trans in the jeep. The 6 speed stick has had more problems and now is hard to find as a part. I would add a TST TPMS on the tires.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=Highway 4x4;4666251]I have a 14 JKUR, all modded and lifted, big tires. If I was going to tow one I would look for a 2 door, stock suspension, stock tires, stock bumpers. Auto trans. The newer 5 speed auto has been a good trans in the jeep. The 6 speed stick has had more problems and now is hard to find as a part. I would add a TST TPMS on the tires.[/QUOTE

I tow a 2002 Jeep liberty and find it tracks great with no problems. I second the recommendation about a TPMS system. It saved me twice last year as you just dont even feel that you have a low tire so you can ruin a tire quickly. Just my opinion!
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Who in their right mind would tow a Wrangler ?!?! Pshaw

Us - about 40k miles and loving it for where we can go when when get 'there' ....

Be sure and weigh it though as ours is now closer to 5,000 lbs ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-19 093.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	667.5 KB
ID:	237146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229 - Copy.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	237147  

Tags
toad