Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #1

Just finding your floorplan isn’t enough is it?

I’ve heard that floorplan message all the time. And the reason for it is absolutely right. You want a floorplan that fits you and your family needs.

But it doesn’t come close to ending there does it? I know six different coach builders who build just the plan I want. But then what happens?

This one has a TV where you can’t see it except from the bathroom. And then only if the toilet paper roll is half full. One has enclosed and heated tanks. Another has 80+ CF outside storage the other has 50. Another has a 2 year warranty, the other has 1 year.

Others have slam latch basement doors, some have a full one piece fiberglass roof. While others have a seemliss front cap. Heck one even has a seamless rear cap. What’s that about?

And what about this fit and finish stuff. Pretty solid core cabinet doors attached to some of that half of toilet paper that was missing me thinks. I hope it was unused. And what about that toilet area. It shows you first hand what mummification must have been like. We’ve been talking about toilet paper, yah what a strange group, and I ask you this. What the heck good is toilet paper if when you need it you can’t reach it? And you yell “Hey honey would you bring me some toilet paper”? And your wife sings an old Meatloaf song “I’ll do anything for love (But I won’t do that)”! Great song by the way. That and “Two out of. Three ain’t bad”! Great songs both.

And how does the filly look with her slides in? Can you use 90%+ of the Coach? And can you get to the back without hurting yourself so bad you’d not consider it without a medic on board? And who in the world thought a folding bed is a good idea?

I could go on but there’s only so much we can eat at one sitting. My point is an obvious one... It ain’t just the floorplan!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
IMO part of the floorplan is tv location. Most everything else can be modified Changing the floorplan is more difficult. We start with the floorplan then storage then other stuff like holding tank size. Floorplan is not the end all be all but it is the highest priority item.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To me it was the chassis that came first. After two hard riding under powered plain Jane gassers, I finally decided I wanted a diesel pusher. For the ride, handling, comfort, storage, luxury and high speed power.
Then it was the layout I left up to the wife. No regrets for either one of us. Still have our Discovery 40E 6 years later. Wasted 60 grand getting what we finally want/need.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:43 AM   #4

Harry-

1) A "floorplan" is more than just the arrangement of the major interior furnishings and the slides, if any. It includes every detail. We consider this with a "stick-and-brick" house; why are we surprised when it rears its head in an RV?

2) Construction quality varies.

3) You can't fix poor layouts or poor construction without time, money, or both.

As I look around, I see few RV manufacturers that resist the trends, selling "floorplans" of the same design and construction for decades. Think original VW Beetle. Not stylish, without some or many "modern" features, but functional, with details worked out long ago. We owned a Class C like that, and it was a pleasure to use.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
IMO part of the floorplan is tv location. Most everything else can be modified Changing the floorplan is more difficult. We start with the floorplan then storage then other stuff like holding tank size. Floorplan is not the end all be all but it is the highest priority item.
The tv location is that important to you?
Are you full time or camping?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Just finding your floorplan isn’t enough is it?

Each has their own priorities. Yes a full timer will probably place tv position as a large priority ! Facing sideways on a couch looking at a tv sideways in the front for a movie etc is a pain. Those vacation weekend camping might not care. Living in the space 24/7 changes the perspective and amplifies the little things. Full timing requires even more attention to those possibly unchangeable things. From there it’s quality and features in various order.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #7

IMO, most of that is actually floorplan. Location and viewability of TV, toilet paper roll, toilet paper storage, size and shape of storage compartments (inside and out), width of hallway, accessibility of features while slides are in, folded bed. All of that is part of the floorplan.

The only things listed that aren't really are whether or not the outside storage uses slam latch doors, warranty length, heated and enclosed tanks, cabinet materials, and fit and finish.
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #8

This is why I’ve always enjoyed this forum. There are many very thoughtful people on it. I for one believe the build of a product trumps the rest. There are a few Class C’s with an excellent build but the ceiling is too low.

It’s amazing when looking at a motorhome of any class how you can easily see that rhe pre ship check was never done. I understand how one slips through now and again. We just don’t want that one to be ours.

So far the best built Class C I’ve seen has been the Esteem/GrayHawk Prestige. And granted I’ve not seen them all. The floorplans of the Esteem/GrayHawk Prestig aren’t my first choice but I think the overall build wins the day. I also like there’s no step up on the floor.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I’ve heard that floorplan message all the time. And the reason for it is absolutely right. You want a floorplan that fits you and your family needs.

But it doesn’t come close to ending there does it? I know six different coach builders who build just the plan I want. But then what happens?

This one has a TV where you can’t see it except from the bathroom. And then only if the toilet paper roll is half full. One has enclosed and heated tanks. Another has 80+ CF outside storage the other has 50. Another has a 2 year warranty, the other has 1 year.

Others have slam latch basement doors, some have a full one piece fiberglass roof. While others have a seemliss front cap. Heck one even has a seamless rear cap. What’s that about?

And what about this fit and finish stuff. Pretty solid core cabinet doors attached to some of that half of toilet paper that was missing me thinks. I hope it was unused. And what about that toilet area. It shows you first hand what mummification must have been like. We’ve been talking about toilet paper, yah what a strange group, and I ask you this. What the heck good is toilet paper if when you need it you can’t reach it? And you yell “Hey honey would you bring me some toilet paper”? And your wife sings an old Meatloaf song “I’ll do anything for love (But I won’t do that)”! Great song by the way. That and “Two out of. Three ain’t bad”! Great songs both.

And how does the filly look with her slides in? Can you use 90%+ of the Coach? And can you get to the back without hurting yourself so bad you’d not consider it without a medic on board? And who in the world thought a folding bed is a good idea?

I could go on but there’s only so much we can eat at one sitting. My point is an obvious one... It ain’t just the floorplan!
In my opinion - since chassis convenience, reliability, and ease of use and self-maintenace, are the highest priorities when traveling and camping away from facilities and services - check these kind of Class C things first before picking any given floorplan:

1. Is the roof all one piece, with rolled over edges?
2. Does the cabover not have a forward facing window?
3. Are the front cab running boards aluminum instead of fiberglass?
4. Are there a bunch of steel walled, carpet lined, outside storage cabinets?
5. Is there a full spare tire, mounted out of the way up high in the rear, just with a pickup?
6. Is there plenty of room in the battery compartment for at least two batteries?
7. Is the coach entrance step an automatic one?
8. Are the rear tire wheel wells steel lined to prevent damage to the coach in case of a blowout?
9. Is the water pump easy to access?
10. Is the sewage hose stored in an outside cabinet instead of in a rear bumper square tube (and hence, is the rear bumper a real one that is rugged steel)?
11. Does the air conditioner vent out a distributed duct system in the coach ceiling instead of one single location?
12. Does the furnace vent out a distributed duct system in the coach instead of one single location?
13. Are the cab mirrors electric and heated
14. Are the grey water and black water tanks heated (or all contained within the coach's interior environment)?
15. Is the fresh water system (including the tank) all contained within the coach's interior environment?
16. Is there a strong, well-mounted, exterior ladder for roof access?
17. Are the roof vents protected with additional covers over them?
18. Does the awning have a mechanism to prevent unfurling when traveling?
19. Is the built-in generator mounted and enclosed well enough so as to be reasonably quiet outside and inside when running?
20. Is there and outside 120V AC outlet?
21. Is there a curtain to block off the cab and overhead bed areas from the rest of the coach interior?
22. Is there a valve for the toilet water line so as to be able to turn off the toilet water supply in case of a leak developing there (...so that the toilet can still continue to be used when on a trip)?
23. Is the furnace control a digital one?
24. Are the coach storage drawers kept in place by gravity locks?
25. Is the kitchen sink's cold water supply filtered (regardless of how pure the water in the fresh water tank might be at any given time)?
26. Is the built-in propane tank large enough so all propane appliances can be used many days (or maybe weeks) without having to hunt for a place that will fill permanently mounted RV propane tanks?
27. Is the built-in generator fueled from the main engine's fuel tank?

Don't be wow'd by glamorous, all-show-no-go floorplans ... that are worthless when other things let you down!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #10

A for us, #1, it had to fit in our garage. The a/c unit clears the garage door opening by 1.25", the sides by roughly 10", and the back by 16" but I have a front bumper to concrete wall thick bumper pad which takes away from the rear.

Yes, the main entry door clears the pole, we got real lucky there too.

#2 was that we required a full time dedicated double bed (no conversion)
#3 was a decent dinette

The rest was more negotiable.

We got real lucky to find what we did 13 years ago and end up very happy with it.
CLICK HERE to see many pictures, inside and out.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor