Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #29

They are being installed for us by bigfoot. When retracted are they lower than the low spot on the rv? I'm hoping they wont hit my driveway when backing in. My driveway is slightly crowned at the sidewalk, street and driveway are lower that sidewalk. I'm not expecting it to be an issue but you never know.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The instructions they send with the kit (which are very bad) demand at least 8 inches of ground clearance when retracted. This is the same cearance I have with the lowest point under my RV, which was the exauhst from the generator.

You might want to pass along your concerns to them, but I do commend you on having them installed by Bigfoot. I would think that they will be able to give you the best possible installation.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations!!
LOL I use to do alot of work on cars growing up and my big joke with my friends was " a job is not over till you bleed " .. It seemed to ring true with every job done
The satisfaction of a job well done is worth the effort not to mention the extra cash saved in the pocket
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #32

Dmiles,
Are you able to post some pics of the jacks on here? Or do you need an email?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #33

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
Congratulations!!
LOL I use to do alot of work on cars growing up and my big joke with my friends was " a job is not over till you bleed " .. It seemed to ring true with every job done
The satisfaction of a job well done is worth the effort not to mention the extra cash saved in the pocket
Everything you said.....so true....
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #34

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Dmiles,
Are you able to post some pics of the jacks on here? Or do you need an email?
Sorry for thr delay. I finally got the taxes done, so I don't feel guilty spending time posting pics as promised. I couldn't figure out how to post them each with individual comments, so I made an album. Here is the link:

Dmiles Album - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

It wasn't the easiest thing to take pictures of, but I did the best I could. If anyone has anything they would like to see a better shot of, just reply and I will see what I can do.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Please keep us informed. Thinking of doing the same.
What was your cost from Bigfoot?
Did you have a lift to use or a jack in order have access underneath? Were any holes drilled problematic?...front or rear more difficult to get to? About how many hours did you put into the job? Thanks
JDKD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #36

Great job on the pics!!! Very informative. SInce you've started using them, how far does it lift the rv. Have any of the wheels actually been lifted of the ground? I'm assuming it justs lifts enough to level and take weight off suspension but I'm sure there could be instances where say the left or right front may be off ground if necessary.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #37

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKD123 View Post
Did you have a lift to use or a jack in order have access underneath? Were any holes drilled problematic?...front or rear more difficult to get to? About how many hours did you put into the job? Thanks
Access to the rear jacks was not a problem. Had to use a 90 degree offset chuck due to the holding tanks, but the height was just about right as it was.

On the front it was a different story. I have a dip where my driveway meets the street. I live on a cul de sac, so I was able to position the area I needed in the dip, and I ran the front tires up on 3 Lynx levelling blocks. Very safe, and plenty of room. You don't want the frame too high up, because you will be setting the jacks on more levelling blocks to hold it while you mark the holes, and then while you mount the jack.

The front jack on the side with the generator was by far the toughest. Initially I actually thought I was not going to be able to do it. It was very tight to say thhe least. I ended up getting the jack in place using one of my old scissors jacks. Then I marked the holes. On the side where the generator was blocking me I had to drill pilot holes at an angle, and then drill the holes from the back side of the frame.

Total hours is tough to guesstimate. I had to spread it out over several days due to some rediculous weather, and the fact that I was on vacation in a campground when I started, and then finished up at home. Maybe this will he helpful....under ideal circumstances (at home with all my tools available) decent weather (not cold and rainy like I had) I would say it could be done in a weekend if you started early and quit late both days, and didn't have to stop and spend a day taking your wife and kid to the aquarium (got to keep the peace while on vacation). And of course having done it once, I would be much quicker on the next one.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #38

Jacks

Smiles, great job!!!

Where did you mount the pump. I don't recognize spot in tha photo.

Very very helpful!
rogerasay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #39

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Great job on the pics!!! Very informative. SInce you've started using them, how far does it lift the rv. Have any of the wheels actually been lifted of the ground? I'm assuming it justs lifts enough to level and take weight off suspension but I'm sure there could be instances where say the left or right front may be off ground if necessary.
Thanks, glad to help if I can. Actually, they recommend extending all jacks to maximum, and leaving it like that for 30 minutes to get as much air out of the system as possible. These jacks have lifted all wheels off the ground. If I used a couple of leveling blocks under a jack, I could raise a wheel high enough to change a tire no problem.

Actually I had jacks on my Class A, and I would rate these very similar to the amount they will lift the coach if needed.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #40

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerasay View Post
Smiles, great job!!!

Where did you mount the pump. I don't recognize spot in tha photo.

Very very helpful!
Thanks, glad I could be of some help. The pump is mounted behind the propane tank. They recommend passenger side, wherever there is the most room. When I went to fill the resovour I would have liked to have more room, but it was the best place I could find.

I've never really been happy with the battery compartment on this coach. I use bigger batteries than the slide is designed for, and it is marginal at best. I've been thinking about totally redoing the battery compartment. I already have a few sets of heavy duty slides that I'm not using for anything right now. I'm thinking about making a plate big enough for my batteries, and putting it on a heavy duty slide that actaully slides out far enought to be useful. If possible, I would like to move the pump at hat time so it would also slide out to make it much more accessable. Probably won't happen until the off season though.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #41

Did you get the wireless or dash control and how do you like it.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #42

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunr View Post
Did you get the wireless or dash control and how do you like it.
I got the dash control, didn't even know there was a wireless available. I like it. You simply press extend or retract, and the the group of two that you want to do that action to such as left, right, back or front. I like the system real well so far.