Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
One thing I noticed on my E450 chassis is the shock bushing hole looked much larger than the OEM bushing seat. It was mismatched, and most likely not tightened correctly. The bushing should be just bulging out of the washers, not flattened.
Shock bushings with their supporting washers seem to vary a lot. I am not surprised to read your comment.

The Bilstein heavy duty "front" shocks have massive upper bushings and massive washers compared to all others I have seen. Even the shock stem is thicker, and includes a hex for a wrench which makes installation easier. For all those reasons and more, I was happy with my decision to get them.

Here are my original Koni shocks with top bushing worn away, compared to the new HD Bilsteins. It is interesting that on the Bilstein, the one bushing is designed to fit inside the other. The cone shape portion on the Koni simply gets crushed. The heavy duty Bilstein design makes a lot more sense for long term durability for the vulnerable top-mount.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks so much, Charles. That's just what I was looking for. Much appreciated!
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #59

I installed Bilstein HD in mine. I am very pleased.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufinitt View Post
I ordered mine on Amazon and got them in three days check with Amazon I know that they have them the FSD koni .

I want to make sure that I get the right Koni FSD from Amazon. Can you please provide a link ? Thanks :-)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #61

Just had one of my gold Koni shocks take a crap at well under 40,000 miles snd ruin a tire. I was on rough two lane so I attributed the thump thump thump to the bad road. The front Ruth shock was shot, the tire bouncing and in short order the tire was damaged as well. Nearest place with a chance of bilsteins was summit racing but the best they had was Gabriel max control. I changed it out in the campground and when I set the Koni on the table it collapsed with no weight on it , with no rebound what soever. No oil leaking, just total failure.I’ve never been impressed with the Koni and obviously even less now. I know nothing of Gabriel but something is better than the Koni I had.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #62

I just changed out the Bilsteins for KONI FSD.

In retrospect, it could be that the severely degraded Bilstein upper bushings could have contributed to the steering wheel shake I had.
Less than 18,000 miles on these.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shock1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	338361  
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #63
NXR

Koni shocks

Quote:
Just had one of my gold Koni shocks take a crap at well under 40,000 miles snd ruin a tire.
I changed it out in the campground and when I set the Koni on the table it collapsed with no weight on it , with no rebound whatsoever. No oil leaking, just total failure.I’ve never been impressed with the Koni and obviously even less now. I know nothing of Gabriel but something is better than the Koni I had.
Komi makes a lot of shocks. Did you have FSD's?

The gold FSD's like I have do not behave like a traditional shock. Even on brand new ones you can push the piston in or pull it out by hand and it stays where you put it. It's not totally loose but the resistance is not significant. There is no rebound and the new ones do not need or come with a strap that needs cut.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 08-05-2021, 05:17 AM   #64

Ray, the Koni was the gold shock. My tire bounced like a basket ball being dribbled by a pro player going down the court. The tire was destroyed. The shock was shot. For me this was just another lesson in life confirming paying more doesn’t guarantee anything. Anything manufactured can fail, mine did.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:46 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I just changed out the Bilsteins for KONI FSD.

In retrospect, it could be that the severely degraded Bilstein upper bushings could have contributed to the steering wheel shake I had.
Less than 18,000 miles on these.
I find it interesting that regardless of the brand of shock, the top rubber bushing on the front shocks, consistently gets prematurely worn. I wonder if tightening the top nut on occasion to reduce "play" would slow down the rate wear.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I find it interesting that regardless of the brand of shock, the top rubber bushing on the front shocks, consistently gets prematurely worn. I wonder if tightening the top nut on occasion to reduce "play" would slow down the rate wear.

I wondering the same thing Ron. They should just bulge out of the washers a bit. But over tightening the bushing will cause the bushing to have no give and put more stress on the upper mounting holes. The bushing appears to be pushing through the hole, getting deformed and causing the excessive wear. I feel the the hole for the bushing seat is too large. It could be smaller with a metal sleeve perhaps.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My unsolicited $0.02 I would guess that the upper bushings are worn more due to the fact that when the jacks are down, the upper bushings hold the weight of the front suspension. This would cause the flattening such as you are seeing.
This "could" be a good spot for a polyurethane bushing with it's firmer material.
STRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRich View Post
My unsolicited $0.02 I would guess that the upper bushings are worn more due to the fact that when the jacks are down, the upper bushings hold the weight of the front suspension. This would cause the flattening such as you are seeing.
This "could" be a good spot for a polyurethane bushing with it's firmer material.
When the front jacks are down, the upper bushings could bear the weight of the front suspension, wheels, tires, AND at least part of the downward force of the springs. If the front wheels are off the ground, even more so.
Another factor could be heat from the exhaust manifolds, which are nearby.

In the Mustang aftermarket motor mounts, I've seen polyurethane bushings bulge-out under load and take a 'set'. The solution was to contain them with a worm-drive hose clamp.
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #69

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
I want to make sure that I get the right Koni FSD from Amazon. Can you please provide a link ? Thanks :-)
X2 - Roger That

Im in the market for shocks myself for my 2004 Holiday Rambler
RayAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks