Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 05:23 AM   #43

I installed Sumo Springs on my 2016 Jayco Alante 31AV and didn’t notice any improvement. The only difference was a lighter wallet
viking41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 06:37 AM   #44

I replaced with fsd Koni. I purchased from Tiffin parts department.
It came with Bilstein.
I had been traveling on a two month trip and only two miles from home.
I think it was when it came off being compressed. The road has a lot of dips.
1 Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Big Red View Post
I replaced with fsd Koni. I purchased from Tiffin parts department.
It came with Bilstein.
I had been traveling on a two month trip and only two miles from home.
I think it was when it came off being compressed. The road has a lot of dips.
I am very interested with your input but I just don't understand what you wrote. Could you clarify?
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #46

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
Konis

Recently replaced my stock shocks with Konis on my 2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. I was hoping to reduce the jarring felt when hitting potholes on the Interstates. The Konis seemed to improve the ride when on smooth pavement but it is not a significant difference. As far as the potholes, there is no improvement. FYI Koni does not make a shock for the tag axle so it has the originals.
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #47

All these big brand-name shocks, I think are way overpriced. I was a mechanic in my younger years. I used a lot of Monroe products. So I decided to put the Monroe RV shocks in the front of my class C. Very happy with them, especially for the respectable price I paid.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #48

One thing I really like about the heavy duty Bilstein shocks I now have, are the heavy duty rubber bushings that are susceptible to getting quickly worn.

The heavy duty Bilstein is the lower row.
The red Koni-RV adjustable shocks that wore away, is the upper low.
The heavy duty Bilstein mounting features are so much more robust.

As big as they are in the tight space provided, they still fit properly.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick3390 View Post
Anyone have experience with Sumo springs?

Yes. 2006 Ford E-450SD chassis'd 2007 Forest River Lexington, 26.5ft on 174" wheelbase. With only 6.5 gal LPG and approx 43 gal gasoline (neither full) it weighs 3740 lbs front, 8380 lbs rear so in traveling trim its always closing in on maximum weight per axle (4600 & 9450, respectively)

Prior to SUMOPRINGS addition, F&R were both outfitted with KONI FSD shocks and Hellwig HD anti-sway bars. As expected they addressed certain areas but the jolts from road surface to the chassis and entire vehicle structure needed taming if possible.

That's where SUMOSPRINGS products appeared to offer DIY solutions and the recommendations were:
Front: SOLO #SSF-106-40, 500 lbs capacity, soft density, blue colored
Rear: MAXIM #SSR-106-47-1, 4600 lbs capacity, medium density, black colored. ---- But I effectively ended up with #SSR-106-40-1 on the rear.

But please EXERCISE CAUTION with your rig for satisfactory results on initial attempts with the product lines you may be considering.

The front SOLOs were a relative snap to install and the results were very positive addressing the chassis and vehicle reaction to road surface imperfections. I still get chuckle each time I get to start up the MH to take it for an exercise run. I guess 'reaction memory' takes a while to change.

Driving impression: Much softer than the pre-SOLO and the snap, crackle, and pop of potholes and bridge transitions are much diminished, but still there.

The rear MAXIMS, as ordered ("-47" medium) and installed, produced a very different initial drive picture. Very nice on smooth road surface with additional sway control noticed over the pre-MAXIM install. But harsh at speed on the less than perfect interstate and many city streets here in and around Phoenix. Rough to the interior as a couple things were dislodged from their moorings and tossed about. Maybe more acceptable if MH was at or over maximum rear axle weight. I talked to engineers at both Henderson Line Up and Supersprings and the consensus was to swap out the "-47" urethane sponge insert with the softer "-40" insert.

Once the rear "-40" inserts were installed, a much more pleasant experience - very much like the front SOLO only. The interior noise caused by vibrations is also reduced. Well worth the trouble and expense.

But, would just installing rear SOLO's been better for what I was after? Someday I'll find out and let the community know.

Each coach is different and responds differently to it's constantly changing driving environment, age, etc and the aftermarket solutions.

Good luck in your efforts and travels.

Steve
Old 05-17-2021, 10:44 PM   #50

When I replace my OEM’s on my 2019 class C E450, they had 2 years and 19K miles on them. The bushings were totally destroyed and deformed, the shock sleeve was plastic and not straight on the shaft and cylinder on both sides! These OEM’s are all junk! I did notice a slight improvement in handling and in the ride with the new Monroe RV shocks.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick3390 View Post
Anyone have experience with Sumo springs?
Yes, I installed them on my Nexus Class C Phantom and can tell a lot of difference. It also raised the rear bumper 1.5 inches. I don't know if it helps much, but when I am parked, I put a bottle jack under my hitch to take some of the weight off my springs.
longtom1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a little late on the discussion but I'm also wanting to replace my OEM shocks with the Koni FSD. I've heard nothing but good reviews about them and how much of an improvement the ride is.
I have a 2019 Georgetown GT5 34H5 with a F53 chassis and I can only find the rear shocks. I guess I need to do a little more searching.
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:50 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
When I replace my OEM’s on my 2019 class C E450, they had 2 years and 19K miles on them. The bushings were totally destroyed and deformed.....
I had a similar experience with Koni-RV adjustable shocks (the red ones) with our E350 chassis motorhome. At 35,000 miles, the front upper bushings on the shocks were worn away, apparently was that way for some time.

I replaced them with heavy duty Bilstein-RV shocks. One thing I really like about the new front Bilsteins are their heavy duty upper bushings. They are massive by comparison to the original Ford and also the adjustable Koni-RV shocks. CLICK HERE to get to my article which includes many pictures comparing the new Bilstein shocks to the worn Koni shocks.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I had a similar experience with Koni-RV adjustable shocks (the red ones) with our E350 chassis motorhome. At 35,000 miles, the front upper bushings on the shocks were worn away, apparently was that way for some time.

I replaced them with heavy duty Bilstein-RV shocks. One thing I really like about the new front Bilsteins are their heavy duty upper bushings. They are massive by comparison to the original Ford and also the adjustable Koni-RV shocks. CLICK HERE to get to my article which includes many pictures comparing the new Bilstein shocks to the worn Koni shocks.
I figured this was worth mentioning twice given that the condition develops frequently on E350 & E450 based motorhomes.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddpearl View Post
I'm a little late on the discussion but I'm also wanting to replace my OEM shocks with the Koni FSD. I've heard nothing but good reviews about them and how much of an improvement the ride is.
I have a 2019 Georgetown GT5 34H5 with a F53 chassis and I can only find the rear shocks. I guess I need to do a little more searching.
Try here https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...619&mk=75&mt=9
Old 06-10-2021, 07:07 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post

One thing I noticed on my E450 chassis is the shock bushing hole looked much larger than the OEM bushing seat. It was mismatched, and most likely not tightened correctly. The bushing should be just bulging out of the washers, not flattened.

Tags
koni, shocks