Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

Koni shocks

Hi
Just wanted to put this out there, if anyone is looking to replace their shocks on their RV.
I just replaced my original stock shocks on my C class E450 leprechaun bunkhouse, with koni shocks
All I can say is that I was hesitant at first because of the price of the koni shocks.
But it made a world of difference the RV feels like itís riding on air . Next I will replace the sway bars with The brand hellwig . Did some research on these and they seem to be a good fit for my RV hope this has been helpful.
Rufinitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 01:32 AM   #2

I had Koni shocks on my class A I sold and loved the way it rode vs other shocks, my new 2021 class C will soon be upgrading to Konis but I will use the stock Ford shocks for now..

But when the time comes the Konis are going on.. Best RV shock as I see it..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #3

we have a jayco 2018 greyhawk 29mv, i ordered koni's but all are on back order till middle of may for cali, at least thru shockwharehouse that is...
Avies48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #4

FWIW, what model Koni shock is being talked about here?

It's the Koni "FSD" (Frequency Selective Damping) shocks that I'm a fan of. I have two of those in the rear of my 24 ft. E450 Class C that have been superb at reducing the pounding in the rear that results from an under-loaded E450 chassis carrying only an 11,800 lb. motorhome. The stock Ford OEM shocks are still doing fine in the front after 15 years and ~81,000 miles.

(Of course Koni offers many standard damping shocks that are not their FSD type.)
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avies48 View Post
we have a jayco 2018 greyhawk 29mv, i ordered koni's but all are on back order till middle of may for cali, at least thru shockwharehouse that is...
I ordered mine on Amazon and got them in three days check with Amazon I know that they have them the FSD koni .
Old 05-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
FWIW, what model Koni shock is being talked about here?

It's the Koni "FSD" (Frequency Selective Damping) shocks that I'm a fan of. I have two of those in the rear of my 24 ft. E450 Class C that have been superb at reducing the pounding in the rear that results from an under-loaded E450 chassis carrying only an 11,800 lb. motorhome. The stock Ford OEM shocks are still doing fine in the front after 15 years and ~81,000 miles.

(Of course Koni offers many standard damping shocks that are not their FSD type.)
Yes itís the koni FSD shocks .
Old 05-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufinitt View Post
Hi
Just wanted to put this out there, if anyone is looking to replace their shocks on their RV.
I just replaced my original stock shocks on my C class E450 leprechaun bunkhouse, with koni shocks
All I can say is that I was hesitant at first because of the price of the koni shocks.
But it made a world of difference the RV feels like itís riding on air . Next I will replace the sway bars with The brand hellwig . Did some research on these and they seem to be a good fit for my RV hope this has been helpful.
The first thing I did to our E450 was install Koni FSDs, Hellwig sway bars, and a Bilstein steering stabilizer. That plus an alignment made a world of difference in the ride and handling. But what a chore removing and installing the front shocks.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufinitt View Post
I ordered mine on Amazon and got them in three days check with Amazon I know that they have them the FSD koni .
well crap! i got mine thru shockwharehouse...i guess im re ordering and ill send theirs back thanks!
Old 05-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #9

One thing you do NOT want are the Koni "NON" FSD shocks. I had the red ones (FSD are gold in color) and I was disappointed in them.

CLICK HERE to read about it which includes many pictures comparing the red Koni to heavy duty Bilsteins that I decided on. Had the Koni-FSD were more affordable and came with a life-time warranty at the time, I would have gotten them for sure.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
One thing you do NOT want are the Koni "NON" FSD shocks. I had the red ones (FSD are gold in color) and I was disappointed in them.

CLICK HERE to read about it which includes many pictures comparing the red Koni to heavy duty Bilsteins that I decided on. Had the Koni-FSD were more affordable and came with a life-time warranty at the time, I would have gotten them for sure.
Roger.... Ive got the koni fsd on order but all back ordered and cannot get one set on amazon right now
Old 05-04-2021, 10:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post

The gold FSD was what I had on my class A, I heard the red ones were not as good as the gold ones.

The Bilsteins that were on the class A rode hard so I bought the Monroe RV shocks and they rode softer but caused more sway so after a few years I upgraded to the Koni FSD shocks and wow what a difference it made, helped the sway better and better control with a soft ride.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Koni EVO shocks are made with variable damping like the FSD but are for heavier bus type motorhomes. Mine has a 20,000# axle but only carries 18,000#'s. Ideally like the EVO's BTW.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
The Bilsteins that were on the class A rode hard so I bought the Monroe RV shocks and they rode softer but caused more sway so after a few years I upgraded to the Koni FSD shocks and wow what a difference it made, helped the sway better and better control with a soft ride.
I will never know how smooth our rig would be with the Koni-FSD.

I did want to say that I was surprised that the heavy duty Bilstein shocks did not increase the roughness of the ride compared to the old red Koni-RVs. Handling is great and the ride is good. I just don't have Koni-FSD to compare. Everything considered, I have been very happy with the HD Bilstein shocks. But I will always wonder....
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #14

Our Bilstein shocks were starting to be less responsive to rough roads after over 50,000 miles of use so we ordered Koni shocks for the rear but Koni shocks were not available for the front until a projected mid-July date. I went with Bilstein's again on the front since we needed to replace before our next trip. We decided to try the Koni's because of all of the favorable comments on this site but the Bilstein's performed well until the past couple trips. Would have stayed with Bilstein but was curious if the Koni shocks would live up to expectations.

Tags
koni, shocks