RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Leaking Windows

Hello All,

I recently bought a 2001 Dutchmen 28-A. We recently had a big rain and noticed some water coming in the rear window and the front window above the cab.

I have done a lot of research on the forums and decided I was going to take windows out and replace butyl tape. Upon further inspection today I am not positive it is the butyl that is leaking. Instead when I take the plastic trim off and pour a little water into the bottom it shows up on the tracks on the inside of the window (this is where we noticed the water during the large rain). Attached are a few photos.

I was under the understanding that the rubber trim was just aesthetic but I'm wondering if this thinking is incorrect. Or whatever is used to secure the glass to the frame is delaminating in some spots.

Is this something where I should replace the butyl and the rubber trim as well? There is quite a bit of gunk buildup on the windowsill. Is it kosher to just put some sealant between the rubber seal and the glass to stop this leak from happening?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2871.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	302839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2872.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	302840  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2869.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	302841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2870.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	302842  

the__Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #2

Generally speaking, a "successful seal" starts with removing all grime and corrosion. Don't cut any corners. Do it right to do it once. Once the worst is off, you might get the remaining contamination using ZEP calcium, lime, rust remover.

What comes to mind for a sealant/adhesive is that "Flex Seal" product we see commercials for all the time. Buy the black one to match.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips.

I also spoke to a dealer and they mentioned checking the weep holes as well. I never noticed before but all of my windows have weep holes in the frame except the 2 windows that are leaking.

It appears the water is coming in under the felt since it has nowhere to drain. Looks like I will be drilling weep holes to help alleviate some of the problem.

Oh the things we learn as first time motorhome owners.
the__Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

I have had very similar issues on my older coach - the rubber gasket had shrunk and resulted in quite a large gap so after cleaning up around the window as best I could I have replaced this rubber trim piece on the leaking windows. Not sure if it helped or not - waiting on a significant rain.

But, I have noticed the same thing - the 2 windows that have leaked have no weep holes in them - is this normal? The worst one is a 4' x 2' rear window...

ryan
rgnprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #5

I'm not sure how common it is. I found it odd that all my other windows have them but the two that are leaking.

I ended up drilling my own weep holes. It doesn't look the best but it is definitely functional. Unfortunately while the window was out we found a nice chunk of water damage. Spent 2 days cutting all that out and forming a plan to replace what was rotted. It's not pretty but it works for now.

I'm installing the window back tomorrow with the new butyl tape and added weep holes. I'll let you know how it goes incase you decide to try it yourself.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #6

I just replaced my rubber glazing bead seals. I cleaned the edges of the glass and put a small bead of DAP Dynaflex Ultra around the edge of the glass. I then put the new bead seal in. I got a sample of bead seals from

https://www.pellandent.com
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #7

I completely rebuilt ALL my windows this summer. The glass is held in with a foam tape, then the rubber glazing on the outside hold the glass to the foam tape securely. The sliding window is in a channel, and has weep holes to the outside. All of mine were leaking where the window frame makes contact to the outside of the coach. There is also a foam gasket behind the frame there and the screws on the inside half of the foam shell windows, pulls it tight to the outside of the coach. Manufacturers usually seal across the top only with Geoflex type sealant.
Jvblakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, wind, window