Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
The Bargman 84 withe 1157 pigtail is Bargman # 47-84-410
You can also buy the 42-86-101, which comes with a new single base, and three wires you attach to your existing wiring.
If you have a double or triple base housings, Bargman makes these as well.

For our RV I ordered two 42-86-101s.
The reverse lamps just received 1157 LED Bulbs.

Of course, if you are crazy, or creative, and have a Dremel, you can make custom lights, using Bargamn parts.
Bargman Side Marker mods.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/what...ml#post5088972
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/what...ml#post5079149
The backup lights are a combination with reflector. Either you install a LED bulb in the socket (1156 lamp, 1157 is a two filament dual contact, don't use that) or you can install Bargman LED backup lights that are totally clear and have 13 LED elements in them. You lose the reflector so you will have to install something suitable. I like having lots of reverse light. While you should not arrive at a campsite after dark, sometimes things happen, the extra light is good for you or your spotter.

My rear bumper is the typical 4 inch tube but has a extruded aluminum cover fitted over it. I used 1 inch DOT tape that fit perfectly in the two flat areas of the aluminum and also installed a plastic Grote Prismatic reflector under the taillights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light with final DOT tape install and Grote prismatic reflector added.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	811.9 KB
ID:	324337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light original backup light and reflector.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	852.9 KB
ID:	324338  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Has anyone replaced their incandescent taillights with the Bargman 84 series LED conversion assemblies ?

My incandescent bulbs are 10 years old and still working . I was hoping for brighter lights that would outlive me.

Should I spend the money , or save it for gas ?
No, and why would you want to? You will have to deal with hyper-flash as well, requiring either a new relay or load resistors (more money!).

Why do you want brighter lights? You can't see them. Did you get pulled over or were told by others that they can't see you?

You said your bulbs were 10 years old, you want something to outlive you. How do you know that your current bulbs wont do it?

Sounds like the last 10 years of incandescent bulbs were good to you. Don't touch a running system. Enjoy what served you well in the past.

Save the money, then at least you wont have to complain when a campsite/dump station suddenly charges more. Cause you will have the money!

Happy Camping!
RV2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2009 View Post
No, and why would you want to? You will have to deal with hyper-flash as well, requiring either a new relay or load resistors (more money!).

Why do you want brighter lights? You can't see them. Did you get pulled over or were told by others that they can't see you?

You said your bulbs were 10 years old, you want something to outlive you. How do you know that your current bulbs wont do it?

Sounds like the last 10 years of incandescent bulbs were good to you. Don't touch a running system. Enjoy what served you well in the past.

Save the money, then at least you wont have to complain when a campsite/dump station suddenly charges more. Cause you will have the money!

Happy Camping!

Though the bulbs are 10 yrs. old , the coach only had 15K on the odometer when we purchased it .
So low hours and a lot of non use. Age takes it's toll on everything and I believe in being proactive .

Better lighting is a good thing . Of course I can't see my taillights , but I know from following MH's that the drivers behind MH's forward vision is obscured , so the first they know of a slowdown or stop is our taillights .

I look at the LED lights as an investment in Safety.

Not too worried about dump costs , out here in Washington State our Rest Area's have free dump stations.

Be safe out there.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #18

The model 84 Bargman lights are used on a number of different campers. BigfootRV has used them for years. I posted a pic of my 2008 model that I added the LED backup lights to. It came from the factory with the Red LED turn/stop/running lights.

I have not read of any problems with them, and I would have noticed if people were complaining. I think some models of the Airstream use this also, not sure however.

Ignore the naysayers and ........Do the conversion, save the old parts, if it doesn't work out, it takes all of five minutes to change it back again. Do NOT use a cordless drill/screwgun to run the screws, unless you have a very good feel for it. Most people tend to strip out screws in plastic, while a couple of minutes with a screwdriver will give you a feel for whether the screw is started properly and when it is tight. Just my two cents worth from observing people.

Hyper flash, if you experience it, is dealt with in a couple of minutes by plugging in a new electronic flasher unit.

Charles
Old 04-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #19

Hi Bill Gail,

I get your focus on "Safety" assumed LED tail lights will be more easily seen from behind. But I feel the best return for LED technology is inside the house where reliance on pure battery power is a serious matter.

We bought our rig HERE new in 2007. It came with florescent and incandescent interior lighting powered by the two house batteries. A number of years ago, I converted all interior lighting to LED technology, details HERE. Wow! what a change for the better. Our two house batteries are so much stronger and the quality of interior light is greatly improved.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #20

Hi Bill Gail,

I understand your focus on "safety" assumed your tail lights will be more easily seen from behind. But I feel the best application for LED technology is inside the house where reliance on battery power is taxing when shore power is not available.

We bought our rig HERE new in 2007. It came with florescent and incandescent interior lighting powered by the two house batteries. A number of years ago, I converted all interior lighting to LED technology, details HERE. Wow! what a change for the better. Our two house batteries are so much stronger and the quality of light is greatly improved. Before with florescent lights, they would resonate when the batteries were less than fully-charged. The greater the drain, the worse the resonation.

Since the conversion to LED, the batteries are stronger and regardless of their state of charge, the light is brighter and cleaner, eliminating that resonation. Converting to 100% LED inside was one of my best modifications.

But "topping" that modification was changing our house batteries from two standard deep cycle 12V wet acid, to two 6V deep cycle AGM batteries. Now that was magical. They are 2x the price at Sams's Club, but 3x the power & life over the years. Having more power with LED & 6V-AGM surely enhanced our camping experience.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Hi Bill Gail,

I understand your focus on "safety" assumed your tail lights will be more easily seen from behind. But I feel the best application for LED technology is inside the house where reliance on battery power is taxing when shore power is not available.

We bought our rig HERE new in 2007. It came with florescent and incandescent interior lighting powered by the two house batteries. A number of years ago, I converted all interior lighting to LED technology, details HERE. Wow! what a change for the better. Our two house batteries are so much stronger and the quality of light is greatly improved. Before with florescent lights, they would resonate when the batteries were less than fully-charged. The greater the drain, the worse the resonation.

Since the conversion to LED, the batteries are stronger and regardless of their state of charge, the light is brighter and cleaner, eliminating that resonation. Converting to 100% LED inside was one of my best modifications.

But "topping" that modification was changing our house batteries from two standard deep cycle 12V wet acid, to two 6V deep cycle AGM batteries. Now that was magical. They are 2x the price at Sams's Club, but 3x the power & life over the years. Having more power with LED & 6V-AGM surely enhanced our camping experience.

In total agreement with your post.

Have already done the LED conversion on the interior lighting and entrance and step light.

Also converted to two 6v GC batteries for the house bank.

I'm committed to the Bargman tail light LED conversion . Will also be changing the clearance lighting to LED.

The problem is finding a quality LED headlight assembly . I know LED bulbs are available , but my issue is the halogen light housing reflectors are not designed for a LED light pattern.

Has anyone found a LED headlight that they are happy with ?
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
In total agreement with your post.

Have already done the LED conversion on the interior lighting and entrance and step light.

Also converted to two 6v GC batteries for the house bank.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #23

Name:	20210413_144015.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	324841

Name:	20210413_144019.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	324842

I tried to find led replacements for my tail lights but was unable to find ones I liked. I changed all the bulbs to led replacements and added the sealed ones above them. For better backup lights I added these to each sides of the hitch. I find the biggest problem with the original tail lights is getting dirt inside the lenses and obscuring the light.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:59 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
I did this on my last RV 5 years ago. I much prefer the brightness and quicker activation of LEDs. I used entire Bargman 47-84-008 lights rather than the retrofit versions as the plug seems like a weak point.

About 3 years in they developed some leaks. Just into the light, not past it into the RV. Turned out the outer housing had some small cracks allowing water in. It was enough to submerge the bottom row of LEDs. All lights were still functioning even with the water intrusion. I drilled some tiny holes so the water could drain and called it a day. I’m picking up another RV that has the same double bargman 84 lights in a few weeks, LED lights are at the top of my list.

Tags
conversion, led, light