Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I do the same. The fridge doesn't need to be perfectly level for normal operation and generally if you're comfortable so is it.
I wondered about that. After all, it's often not level when running down the road. And we pull ours out to the driveway and hook the car up the night before a trip, and it's sure not level there.

We just leveled it with a 2' level inside the door and found that the counter top was also level. Now we just use the counter top.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #16

I checked the fridge with a bullseye level. When it was level, I added a small level on my dashboard and one on my driver's door, so we can check how close to level we are when we park.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #17

Per the folks from Dometic at FMCA rally - fridge can operate safely up to 3 degrees out of level from front to rear of coach (assuming side-mounted fridge) and 6 degrees side-to-side of coach.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3008.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	846.8 KB
ID:	182666

iPad app Bubble Level, I Pad is always near my seat, I hit the app, and put the iPad on the floor between the two seats. The DW has a 6” carpenter Level she grabs and likes to check me.

Years ago, the best level was the hinged bathroom door, does it stand open in middle position? One can also learn to eye ball the water in the commode
Old 11-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #19

I use the automatic levelers and have two levels close by. One level for front to back and one for left to right. The second test is to check the bathroom door to see if it will stay half open. If it does, we are level.
billallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #20

Our Itasca has an adjustable bubble level mounted next to the driver's seat and jack control panel. First thing i did when we got the rig some 15 years ago was to calibrate it. I leveled the motorhome using a bubble level placed in the freezer, then adjusted the mounted one at the driver's seat to match. It's so easy to just watch it while operating the jacks. We're good to go when the bubble's inside the circle.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #21

As another post said, there are apps for that. And for a compass. Pretty accurate too.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed hardwood flooring. Use a tennis ball. When it comes close to not rolling in any direction I am ad close to level for most practical situations.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #23

Fridge door, bathroom door. They are opposite so they cover all directions.
819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I did an average with a small carpenters level. Refer, shower, bath counter, refer door, bathroom door, kitchen counter, stove top and table. Then when everyone was happy I did like above on the Ford console and placed a bullseye level. With a little jockeying around for overnight I can get lose enough and for longer term place a couple blocks. Thing is an average is needed as things don't agree.

LEN
Old 11-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Leveled two places when we had the absorption fridge. Fridge and stove top. Shimmed the stove so it was very close to the fridge. Like to have the pans level when cooking.

With the residential fridge the stove top is now the main point. Fortunately when the stove is level the bathroom doors stay where they are put.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #26

First we found a level pad and checked frame level, cab level and fridge level. Amazingly all matched. When we knew we were good I mounted a cheep bubble level just behind the drivers seat on the campers floor. I chose there as it was least likely to get bumped or moved. A bit of a pain looking behind me when parking but it only takes a second to set up. Our rig is only a 23 footer so getting a flat spot is easy.
Gimpyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #27

We have automagic levelers, but I find that I can level it manually and usually wind up with it a few inches lower and still level. We leveled it on our last trip using a 2' level on the counter top with my wife watching the bubble while I pushed the buttons. Then, as I usually do, I used the level to check it on the floor, and it agreed with the counter top.

After reading through this thread, I started the compass / level app on my iPhone and laid it right next to the leveler pad on the console, and it showed 0 degrees out and green indicating perfection

I'm gonna try it with the phone next time.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #28

I calibrated the automatic levelers using a 2' level. I check this every so often, and the automatic levelers do a great job at repeatability.

I also have a small cheap bubble level on the front console, and from experience I can get pretty close at knowing how much to block up front/back and side/side. I pull into a spot to the point where I want to end up, check the bubble level, pull up a few feet, set the blocks (based on experience with the bubble level), and back in again. I then use the automatic levelers to finish the job.

I do occasionally use the 2' level if spots seem severely off front/back, side/side, so I can pick the best landing spot.

To the OP's question, the best place is the floor. Countertops may or may not be level, but they should always be flat (and flat is different from level), but floors are almost always not flat (small variations are hard to avoid). In this case the longer the level the better...a 2' level is a good choice. Shorter/small levels (bubble, phone level apps, etc.) will suffer more from variations than larger/longer levels.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote