Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Levelers on a 22-Foot Motorhome

I have had Bigfoot Levelers installed on my 2004 Itasca Spirit for quite awhile. They're great! I'm close to buying a 2021 Minnie Winnie 22M. Would levelers be beneficial for a rig that short?
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I wouldn't own one without levelers. Don't care what size RV.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
I have had Bigfoot Levelers installed on my 2004 Itasca Spirit for quite awhile. They're great! I'm close to buying a 2021 Minnie Winnie 22M. Would levelers be beneficial for a rig that short?

Levelers are awesome and I donít think Iíll ever own another motorhome without them. With a rig that short, especially if itís on the E350 chassis (not the beefier E450 chassis), youíll need to mind your cargo carrying capacity though. Unfortunately, some of those smaller ones are pretty close to maxed out after passengers, water and gear so adding another 200+ pounds of levelers might limit you quite a bit.
hippopapamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippopapamus View Post
Levelers are awesome and I donít think Iíll ever own another motorhome without them. With a rig that short, especially if itís on the E350 chassis (not the beefier E450 chassis), youíll need to mind your cargo carrying capacity though. Unfortunately, some of those smaller ones are pretty close to maxed out after passengers, water and gear so adding another 200+ pounds of levelers might limit you quite a bit.
The Minnie Winnie 22M that I'm looking at is an E-450 chassis. But I'll run the numbers on water, gear, etc. Thanks for your insight.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I wouldn't own one without levelers. Don't care what size RV.
Thanks. I'm kind of leaning in that direction myself.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
The Minnie Winnie 22M that I'm looking at is an E-450 chassis. But I'll run the numbers on water, gear, etc. Thanks for your insight.

Thatís a nice set up and should give you a lot more CCC to play with. Good luck!
hippopapamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We went from a 34' class A with levelers to a 30 foot class C without levelers. One trip and we had HWH levelers installed. Our current 5er had Big Foot levelers as well. I will not have an RV without levelers. The same goes for a residential fridge, washer/drier, dishwasher and Wingard Traveler antenna. Some things just make life simpler.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #8

Our Coachmen 24í came with stabilizers. They seem to do the job once we are leveled.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:08 AM   #9

Levelers are especially nice, almost essential with the current 2-motor slide-out mechanism that is extremely sensitive to being level during operation.

Like previously stated by others, if built on an E450, no worries concerning over-loading. The E350 is questionable.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:14 AM   #10

I will also never own another RV without levelers. They weren't an option on the 22 Jayco Redhawk 31F we purchased in September. Had them added by the dealer before we picked up.
Fushux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #11

Back in 2007, we ordered our rig HERE without levelers to save weight and cost. We figured we could add them later if we changed our mind. 15 years so far and we continue to manage without them.

In the places we travel, many campsites are unpaved, poorly maintained with humps and dips. Our rig is not huge which allows for room to maneuver in and out of those irregularities for a "acceptable" leveling. I have levels right-left and front-back in the cockpit so I can do so quickly and independently. Otherwise I resort to using Lynx Levelers.

If we did not set-up camp for our rig staying put, leaving in our tow vehicle during the day, I could see having levelers being more essential for a quick exit and return every day.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippopapamus View Post
With a rig that short, especially if itís on the E350 chassis (not the beefier E450 chassis), youíll need to mind your cargo carrying capacity though. Unfortunately, some of those smaller ones are pretty close to maxed out after passengers, water and gear so adding another 200+ pounds of levelers might limit you quite a bit.
That's the reason I can't have levelers on my 25 footer, my CCC is very meager and we are at GVWR already. That said it hasn't really been an issue most of the time. I use 2- 2x8 boards under the fronts sometimes but most times nothing. Since everything is only a step or 2 away in a 25 footer there's no real rocking either. It would be a nice luxury if I could afford the weight, but I can't.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
That's the reason I can't have levelers on my 25 footer, my CCC is very meager and we are at GVWR already. That said it hasn't really been an issue most of the time. I use 2- 2x8 boards under the fronts sometimes but most times nothing. Since everything is only a step or 2 away in a 25 footer there's no real rocking either. It would be a nice luxury if I could afford the weight, but I can't.
Thatís the downside to the sprinter chassis unfortunately. I think the e350 has 1500 pounds more gvwr than the sprinter. My 25 footer has a OCCC of 2100 which is decent and I weigh 11,700 fully loaded with a tank of water and full fuel. Leaves a pretty good cushion to the 12,500 gvwr. I did add levelers and thatís my weight with the big foot on it
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelers, motor, motorhome