Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 05:38 AM   #1

Leveling ideas

I do not have auto levelers . With that said what are some of the easiest to use that are good? What is average cost for auto ones to be in stalled? Thank you
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #2

Easiest to use that are good would be 2x12s cut to the right length.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:59 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
In our old class C Jayco Melbourne we used the orange inter-locking blocks (forget the brand name) to drive onto to level. They are light weight and easy to store. We still have them five years later and use them under our leveling jacks on our class A. Adding hydraulic levelers to a class C coats appropriately $5,000.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
In our old class C Jayco Melbourne we used the orange inter-locking blocks (forget the brand name) to drive onto to level. They are light weight and easy to store. We still have them five years later and use them under our leveling jacks on our class A. Adding hydraulic levelers to a class C coats appropriately $5,000.
For $5000 you can buy 4 10 ton Harbor Freight bottle jacks and some 2/8 treated lumber, and still have money left over.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #5

I'm considering Bigfoot auto-levelers. Cost around $3500 + $800 installation. Once in a while they'll have a promo/discounted installation.
Bit of a drive for you from AZ? They're located in White Pigeon, MI.
The Official Website for Bigfoot© Hydraulic Leveling Systems
I believe they have kits that you can DIY, if you're handy with tools.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
In our old class C Jayco Melbourne we used the orange inter-locking blocks (forget the brand name) to drive onto to level. They are light weight and easy to store. We still have them five years later and use them under our leveling jacks on our class A.
They are called LYNX LEVELERS. I use them and like them. They are very light weight, store easy, and the wheel chocks & top caps are great compliments.

I carry 4 bags of Lynx Levelers that hold everything I need. Our rig is lighter than most so when I run short on blocks which is rare, I will drive up on only one rear tire. It is not recommended, but like I say, the rig is not that heavy and I am not driving, just sitting and well supported on top caps.

An auto-leveling system is very costly and some manufactures won't provide a warranty if installed on an older rig. Some refuse to install them on anything but new or almost new rigs.

Auto levelers used aggressively may twist the body a tad bit which might split a seam in the house, especially on the longest rigs.

Some auto levelers for class C's are more limited. You can't raise them but a few extra inches, not enough to lift a tire up off the ground. That may be by design to avoid twisting the frame and damaging the house. These limited systems require blocks under them to gain more height if your parking pad is far off level.

Auto levelers require regular maintenance to be trouble-free. I read many posts, people having trouble with them of one kind or another, and not necessarily due to a lack of maintenance. Hydraulic or electric, each have their own troubles.

I am glad I didn't get them when ordering our rig new back in 2007 because I wonder if 14 years later, I would have regrets.

BUT.....There is a lot to say about the convenience of pushing buttons instead of crawling around with blocks of sorts, especially in the dark and/or in the rain. You have to decide what trade-offs you are willing to make.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
For $5000 you can buy 4 10 ton Harbor Freight bottle jacks and some 2/8 treated lumber, and still have money left over.
Yes, but then you need a lot of jumping from jack to jack, or 2 people to jack at one time.

If you try to go to high on one corner, you twist the chassis.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #8

We just had the Bigfoot Auto Levelers installed on our 28Z. We still have the Legos and pieces of 2X8's in the back if needed.

Works great. Went out last weekend. I put the 2X8's under it to keep from sinking in the soft ground. Grabbed a beer, hit a button and in about a minute, it was level.
standerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #9

I don't have auto leveling on our rig, as it would add too much weight for my tastes. I use a Level Mate Pro to tell me exactly how much to raise each wheel, then stack the yellow Camco blocks accordingly. It's worked very well for me. I've had over 10" under a tire or two more than a couple of times, with no issues. I usually end up within one inch of perfectly level.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman12 View Post
...what are some of the easiest to use that are good?
HERE is what I use. 16" - 2x10 & 16" - 4x4. I carry 4 sets. About $10.

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #11

Cool Yellow Leggo's...

Mine are now about 12 years old and yes they are getting a little ragged. I plan on replacing them with another 10 pack in a nice nylon zippered case for about $36. They are easy to set and I cannot remember the last time I had to go higher than 2 blocks per wheel.

I have a small bubble level that sits on the center console that confirms what I can feel when we pull into a site. A set of auto levelers will put a serious dent in your payload and the longer your C the less you have to begin with. Levelers are about as problematic as slides and electric steps and not cheap to buy/install.

IMHO: Any Class C under 27' simply does not need them.

As always... opinions and YMMV.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #12

My coach jacks were none functional so the dealer got Big Foot to add auto jacks.

I am more than happy with them, big improvement over the manual jacks on our last coach.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
HERE is what I use. 16" - 2x10 & 16" - 4x4. I carry 4 sets. About $10.

Have you priced lumber lately?
Old 07-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
I have a small bubble level that sits on the center console that confirms what I can feel when we pull into a site.
Using double-sided foam tape, I adhered Hoppy Levels outside near each rear tire and dead center in back. I also placed similar levels by the driver for front/back and left-right leveling.

To set the levels properly during adhesion, get a trusted level and park your rig such that the floor is level in both directions. Then stick on the levels so that they too are bubble-level. Then you are setup for quick and easy evaluations for leveling your rig.

This is the type of level I utilize. Each graduation reflects one inch which is one Lynx Leveling Block.

As you do, I can often utilize a dip or rise on a soft surface parking pad to get the rig "level enough", just by moving the motorhome around and watching the levels.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling