Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW View Post
Our first Class C did not have them. 2 of our rentals (including 1 in Alaska) did not have them either. I don't recall it being a huge issue. Just have to plan ahead a little more or be resourceful with wood as others have mentioned.

Our 2nd Class C had manual hydraulic jacks which worked nice. Our current Class C has automatic jacks which take all the guess work out. As others have mentioned - you just push a button.

Besides keeping the coach level, they do help with swaying while walking. Even on a level pad, I would still deploy the jacks to keep the RV from bouncing around when myself, wife, or kids walked inside.

Are they necessary? The short answer I would give is, "no". They do, however, make life a little easier.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Couldn't have said it better and I certainly agree.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #16

Nothing better than having a button to push while you wait. Big Foot on mine. Love it!
Old 03-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #17

Love our Big Foot system

We purchased a Class A that did not have a leveling/stabilizing system. Being a large person over 250 lbs. and over 65 that gets up at least once during the night to use the restroom and check outside via the windows, I could disturb others in the MH with my moving around.

Our 2nd Class A had a hydraulic leveling/stabilizing system that was very good and solved the 2AM motion problem.

Before we bought our 2017 Class C, I told my wife it would have to have a leveling/stabilizing system. The 2017 Class C did not have one, but Big Foot will sell you one and install it for you. I drove from NW Arkansas to White Pine, MI and had one installed. I would not have a Motorhome without one. It is convenient, but the stabilizing portion is a must for us.

The only time I have a need for boards was at the Kansas City, KS race track when it was muddy. I put the boards under the leveling jacks. The boards may still be buried there!
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #18

I love jacks and paid about $3k to have them installed on a Class C. They are a little iffy on a beach in Mexico. It means not having to change which way we sleep on a bed to not get head down. Leggo blocks are a hassle, but work. I can lift the front wheels off the ground in a strong slope, or rotate the tires.
rainmanlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #19

Jacks

Our first class c's did not have them, Went through the kids moving around etc, knew every time someone got out of bed at night, but hey, that was camping. Remember the days we used a tent so just a motorhome was a major upgrade. Grand kids came a long, bought a new rig (bunk beds) with the Jacks........incredible, no motion at all. Would never have a rig with out them.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #20

Our first RV was a 25’ and we used the plastic LEGO style blocks. Never really noticed any rocking. However our second is a 31’ with alto levelers. 1st the levelers are mounted too low so we have issues going over speed bumps in campgrounds. Secondly most times when we us the auto levelers they go way too high. I end up using the levelers in manual mode.
TimTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #21

We use leveling blocks, as we did with the previous RVs we have had. Many years ago we had a small Class A and had a leveling system but we have used blocks on every RV since that time.

Most of the places we camp at are reasonably level and I seldom need more than one layer of blocks on either the side or front. Our Winnebago Fuse is a dually so we bought the double blocks and use them both for the front and rear, as needed. We carry 10 with us but usually 4 or 5 are enough.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:31 AM   #22

Agree. PITA when they start leaking. On one, the threads got screwed up and was a pain to fix. Get some 2x6 or 4x6 wood and make up your own kit. Weight is also another issue.
Dan_Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:12 AM   #23

First trip in our first TT we were travelling with folks in a small C. After watching him try to level and stabilize his unit I vowed I'd never want a MH. Years down the road we started to find the appeal of a MH and decided to make the move. Our absolutes on the list were: 1) 50A, 2) multiple A/Cs and 3) Hydraulic Jacks. Those 3 things put us into the Super C category pretty quickly. Jacks? I wouldn't have a MH without them.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTec View Post
Our first RV was a 25’ and we used the plastic LEGO style blocks. Never really noticed any rocking. However our second is a 31’ with alto levelers. 1st the levelers are mounted too low so we have issues going over speed bumps in campgrounds. Secondly most times when we us the auto levelers they go way too high. I end up using the levelers in manual mode.
My Auto Levelers (LCI) lifted the front tires off the pavement. I followed the directions and manually leveled the MH and then initiated the LEARN procedure. Subsequent Auto Leveling has worked flawlessly.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Our absolutes on the list were: 1) 50A, 2) multiple A/Cs and 3) Hydraulic Jacks. Those 3 things put us into the Super C category pretty quickly. Jacks? I wouldn't have a MH without them.
We use leveling blocks and it is not a problem for us since we have a short (24 foot) and easy to move Class C. Still, there are times when it would be nice.

Winnebago, which makes our 2018 Fuse, did not list a leveling system as an option and it makes me wonder if there is some RV length that is required before a system is available.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #26

The ss 7.1 auto leveling system. Anyone know why the panel will not turn on?
Mailinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Since we downsized, we don't have jacks. I just use the legos. Even in the state parks, we can usually find a level spot and don't use them. Of all the bells and whistles on our previous rigs the only thing I really miss is the electric awning.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
We had an original set on our '94 Fleetwood and got spoiled by them. Last year when we bought the Coachman BH, she was very intent on installing a new set. After 3 camping trips by herself, the decision to have them installed became a lost battle. We drove out to the Bigfoot plant and had them installed by the factory. She was jumping for joy and giggling the first time she pushed the single button and the wagon leveled itself. Wouldn't trade that experience for anything.
Mainehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks