Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Lithium battery, inverter, transfer switch install

Hello All. I wanted to thank those that helped with the ongoing thread about "turning off converter".

I have figured everything out and i do have a breaker just for the charger portion of my converter. But now, i shouldn't have to bother with it, as i'm going to use a transfer switch that shouldn't incorporate the AC side of my panel.

I have almost $3000 worth of stuff ordered including 2 100ah renogy lithium batteries. I had a hard time pulling the trigger on them, but lithium does seem the way to go, and the renogy battery dimensions should fit under my step perfectly. Seems every other lithium battery was just too long to fit two of them safely under my step.

I thought about moving my battery bank, but seemed like a nightmare as i would of wanted it in my slideout under the dinette benches. I also ordered a progressive dynamics lithium charger that should easily replace my current charger. Ive got 2/0 copper cables coming, 1500 watt inverter, 200 amp circuit breaker, aili battery monitor, kisae transfer switch and other various supplies.

I plan to plug the transfer switch into the inverter and then tap into the receptacles. Im sure its all much easier said than done, but i look forward to the install.

I am installing this into a 2020 Entegra Odyssey 25r. I actually have to talk to Jayco when it comes to technical support as they seem to be the company that actually puts these things together. They have been pretty helpful, but it definitely helps to be handy and fix what you can fix. Funny side note.... they actually installed the bottom rail/track that my shower door sits in, backwards. So the drain holes were on the outside and water would run onto the floor. Pretty easy fix myself.

Anyway, thats about it for now. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as I continue this install.
EJ_Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
did you get a wiring diagram from them....

are you just going to interrupt one of the receptacle circuits,,,,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #3

IMHO, you would be better off with an inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch "all-in-one". Much easier to wire.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
did you get a wiring diagram from them....

are you just going to interrupt one of the receptacle circuits,,,,,

No, but that sounds like a great idea.

I have two receptacle circuits that im going to tap into. I will take both wires out from their breakers, run them to my transfer switch, then run wire from the out side of the switch to one of the 15 amp breakers. I realize ill be limited to 15 amps on that circuit even when plugged into shore power. I thought long and hard about just running a heavy duty extension cord to my 30amp connection, but this seems cleaner.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
IMHO, you would be better off with an inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch "all-in-one". Much easier to wire.
Those do seem pretty nice, but finding a mounting location for some of those beasts would be a bit of a challenge for me. The progressive dynamics lithium charger is a simple drop in replacement. And ultimately it seems if one system goes down, you may need to replace the entire all-in-one system.

But yes, they do seem nice and possibly more efficient.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_Clemson View Post
No, but that sounds like a great idea.

I have two receptacle circuits that im going to tap into. I will take both wires out from their breakers, run them to my transfer switch, then run wire from the out side of the switch to one of the 15 amp breakers. I realize ill be limited to 15 amps on that circuit even when plugged into shore power. I thought long and hard about just running a heavy duty extension cord to my 30amp connection, but this seems cleaner.
yes you will limit both of those rv circuits to one 15 amp breaker..

the 1500 watt inverter will give you 12.5 amps so you will really be limiting your use,,,even when on shore or generator

Since you bought the stuff go for it.....

May I ask what you plan to run off the inverter....

My similar set up uses a 3 input transfer but I run my complete 30A panel off the inverter.. I just don't turn on AC, my 2000watt inverter will start the 15k AC with a soft start but battery alarm screams as the load is huge... LOL

I could not run my Kuerig off a 1500 unless batteries were 90%plus.. The 2000 works great. Litiums may help I have 2 31 series lead acid..

Keep us posted

You could have tried an Aim Inverter they have them with a autotrans and remote start ,, not to bad on price,, it saves some space...
Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #7

i didn't do lithium, but i did add a transfer switch (generator/shore power) and 3000W inverter (has internal xfer switch)
i had to add a double pole relay to interrupt the 110V to the fridge (much more efficient on LP gas) and charger that is only energized if on shore power or generator
this way all my outlets on my distribution panel can be run off the inverter
i can't run the A/C off the inverter
it just makes it simple - nothing to think about other than the power drain when on the inverter which your battery monitor should tell you

mark
Mkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkaye View Post
i didn't do lithium, but i did add a transfer switch (generator/shore power) and 3000W inverter (has internal xfer switch)
i had to add a double pole relay to interrupt the 110V to the fridge (much more efficient on LP gas) and charger that is only energized if on shore power or generator
this way all my outlets on my distribution panel can be run off the inverter
i can't run the A/C off the inverter
it just makes it simple - nothing to think about other than the power drain when on the inverter which your battery monitor should tell you

mark
good set up.. I did relay to drop the converter, I let fridge in circuits as a just in case.. I tried running fridge on inverter all nite .. got maybe 8-9 hours out of 2 - 31 series deep cycle... Fridge is a power hog when temps are 70+ outside,,
Propane is better, fridge can drain 400 watts at 120v... 3 amps /hr when cooling.. At a min...50% cycle rate to cool... 15+ Amp/Hr at 12V blah blah
Old 10-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
yes you will limit both of those rv circuits to one 15 amp breaker..

the 1500 watt inverter will give you 12.5 amps so you will really be limiting your use,,,even when on shore or generator

Since you bought the stuff go for it.....

May I ask what you plan to run off the inverter....

My similar set up uses a 3 input transfer but I run my complete 30A panel off the inverter.. I just don't turn on AC, my 2000watt inverter will start the 15k AC with a soft start but battery alarm screams as the load is huge... LOL

I could not run my Kuerig off a 1500 unless batteries were 90%plus.. The 2000 works great. Litiums may help I have 2 31 series lead acid..

Keep us posted

You could have tried an Aim Inverter they have them with a autotrans and remote start ,, not to bad on price,, it saves some space...
I don't think i'll mind being limited to 15 amps through my outlets. But if i do have constant issues, I'll add a seperate transfer switch for the other circuit, or just simply run a 10 gauge extension cord and plug my 30amp cord into it. Would just have to remember to turn the charger breaker off.

I don't plan to run hardly any heavy loads off of my inverter. I told the wife to look for a 1000 watt or less hair dryer, but she doesn't use that often. That would be about the biggest amp draw. We rarely drink coffee, so that's not an issue. Those small portable espresso makers sound good though... Haha. Soo... Off the inverter I plan to run Tv, future internet stuff, phone and computer charging, maybe some kind of small fan.

Me and my wife's ultimate goal is to go pretty much full time in this rig. Boondocking at free sites will play a huge part in this. I really like our built in generator, and have no problems using it when wanting to operate heavier usage items (microwave, instant pot, ac.. Etc). We plan to follow "the 70 degree line" and hope to keep ac use to a minimum.

Thanks for the information. I'll definately keep this thread posted. Most of my gear should be here on Tuesday.

Tags
battery, install, inverter, lithium, switch, transfer switch