Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
The first three of those appear to be aimed at storing tires not on a vehicle. The forth sounds like it was written during the days of bias belted tires.

True, this all comes from a tire manufacturer, but I'd like to see the science behind it. Also would be interested to know how they define "a long period" in the last item.
So obviously your mind is made up and that's OK
I just wanted to share with others what I do and why.
Not many bias lately... their heyday was pretty inept and that was right from Michelin website. I dont get why storing on or off vehicle would make the first 3 any different but like I said to each his own
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
So obviously your mind is made up and that's OK
I just wanted to share with others what I do and why.
Not many bias lately... their heyday was pretty inept and that was right from Michelin website. I dont get why storing on or off vehicle would make the first 3 any different but like I said to each his own
Never said my mind was made up on anything - please don't jump to conclusions. All I said before, and I'll say again here, is that I'd like to see some evidence-based or study-based advice. I also didn't offer advice on how to best store tires, merely to ask if what many assume to be true really is.

More to the point of what you posted...the reason I assume it's talking about tires being stored off the vehicle is because that's what it's talking about. You can't take a few lines out of context - you need to look at the full page you were quoting: https://www.michelinman.com/storingTires.html

A few giveaways on that page of information which show that they're talking about tires stores off the vehicle...

1) The photo at the top of the page showing tires stacked, and
2) The paragraph beginning with, "Before removing your tires..."

Pneumatic rubber tires have been in use for over a hundred years. Without a doubt there are numerous studies which have been done to demonstrate the results of storing tires on various surfaces, under various conditions, etc. I think that the information from a study like that would be much more useful than following advice from me or anyone else on this site based on what they've heard or been told by someone.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #17

richard 5933

"You can't take a few lines out of context - you need to look at the full page you were quoting:"

No argument at all re pictures but I just don't see the logic that those ONLY apply to off a vehicle...
Are you implying that if tires are on a vehicle that

Sunlight, UV heat, ozone

Grease, oil, solvents

Moisture

Have no affect and are no problem?

These ONLY can affect tires when off a vehicle?

Why would they confuse things w item #4 being on the vehicle and suggest taking them off and exposing them to all the negatives of #1 - #3?

With that logic dont ever take them off or they will degrade and fail much faster as those factors are only detrimental when taken off... but if you leave them on a vehicle they have no negative affect?

I'd be interested in the comprehensive study that none of the above has any affect on tires and it's only a myth. When you find that please ro post it here.

If that makes sense to you I'm sorry I even posted the info and link... please ignore it!
Again my appologies
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #18

Except that, for the most part, the conversation about storing/parking an RV revolves around a choice between concrete, asphalt, gravel, grass, etc. Also on whether or not something should be placed between the tires and that surface, including things like plywood, rubber sheeting, etc.

Common sense would say don't park in a puddle or fuel, oil, or grease. The other parts of the discussion are where people seem to go round and round trying to decide what best practice is.

And this is where I want to see some type of research before agreeing that any of the usual suggestions for parking surface are accurate. Some suggest putting plywood between the tires and what you're parking on to protect the tires from moisture problems. But, is plywood any more/less of a problem than the concrete itself? Plywood certainly seems to soak up moisture pretty well, so I'd say it's a toss up. I don't know what the reality is though - that's why I want to see the research.

Yes, there have been people in the 'industry' making all kinds of recommendations about tire care for decades. When I got my first car I read all kinds of articles from tire 'experts', each recommending their own particular tire balm or magic formula to make tires last longer. Now most of those products are routinely panned as being bad for tires.

In the end, IMO, if you maintain proper air pressure, don't overload or over-speed the tires, and maintain alignment and suspension, good quality tires should last 6-10 years if driven on regularly.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #19

my class C has been sitting on crushed rock since last october. I'm waiting for the lock down to end. Northern California so no telling when that will be....

Tags
cat, safety