Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Smile Looking for a Unicorn?

My husband and I were originally considering a Class A DP (Allegro Red). I love the quality, but it's too many bells and whistles for me in such a large package. I really like the Class Cs for the size and maneuverability, but have not been happy with the quality I've seen. It is just the 2 of us and a 14 year old daughter that may bring a friend along, but that 14 year old will only be around 4 more years. Weekend warrior adventurers. Love drycamping (boondocking). Go to the High Sierras in California often and love to find a snuggle spot in the trees. We have spent HOURS at RV stores and I have spent hours on sites. Due to reviews, I will not consider Thor due to the numerous maintenance issues. Checked out Jayco personally and wasn't impressed with their quality. Saw the Tiffin Wayfarer and it's getting closer to my search, but I didn't like the flimsy 2 burner stove. I know it's a very personal process. Your help and input is greatly appreciated.

Must haves: 1. Walk around queen bed 2. Sturdy/ good quality (no particle/ pressed board cabinets) 3. Under 30 feet 4. Diesel engine that can tow a Jeep (we like to explore) 5. Pass through storage 6. Overhead bed for storage and daughter.

Preferences: 1. MBS chassis 2. Three burner stove 3. Outdoor living (like a TV/kitchen)

Thank you in advance!
Jazzed4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is a unicorn indeed... My spidey senses tell me you're going to have to give on something.

Have you looked at the Forest River MBS? The Sunseeker or Forester. They build each on multiple chassis', to include the MBS. (gotta dig into the floorplans)
Class C Motorhomes by Forest River RV

Maybe a used Lexington, even though not Diesel should easily pull a jeep?

Now if you moved into something like a Show Hauler... boy the sky is the limit..

Maybe talk to the folks at Lazydaze (not lazy days) Motorhome Dealer | Low Profile Motorhome | RV Manufacturer | Quality Motorhome

The Tiffin Wayfarer is like... something BRAND NEW Tiffin is doing if I'm thinking clearly, just like they recently opened a division doing 5th wheels.

Didn't Entegra say they were opening up some Class C's? https://www.entegracoach.com/class-c/

Dynamax ( Dynamax ) or a Renegade ( https://www.renegaderv.com/renegade-...end-motorhomes )?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #3

I won't be the first to tell you this, but I believe you are looking for an impeccably made coach in an industry that doesn't seem to know what "quality control"* means, and you describe a coach that is small on the outside and big inside. Life is full of choices.

After going thru a similar search myself in 2016, my wife & I wound up with a Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB, which has the walk-around queen bed you're seeking, and some privacy that I imagine will be wanted to separate the 'rents from 14-YO young adults. Bad news - it's 33 feet nose to tail, the tanks aren't that big for dry camping, and dealers are less common. Mine was pretty well made, although not perfect; materials and finishes I thought were better than Winnebago and definitely Thor; and 18 months in we are pretty happy with it, and using it about 3-7 days a month. There's nothing about it that doesn't serve our needs well, but we are more RV park people than dry-campers.

What worked for us in the search was to figure out what FEATURES were must-haves, like the island queen bed which is uncommon, which were desirable (3-burner stove), and what we didn't care about. After that, the search narrowed down quickly.

*RV construction across the industry, from Thor to Tiffin, has changed little since the 1960s - I think the market is ripe for a disruptive maker that can produce better coaches, for less cost, with zero defects. But that's just one guy's opinion. </end-of-rant>
Old 04-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I have to agree with the above posts. You might have your sights set higher than the industry is going to give. Not that that's a bad thing; just that you might have to compromise.

Personally, I was rather impressed with the build quality of the Renegade when I 1st viewed them.. Maple cabinetry (not just plywood veneer w/maple doors), soft close drawers (just like we have at home), substantial floor beams, AGM batteries, sewer dump in separate compartment from water (appeals to my yuk factor since most other mfrs have all in 1 "wet bay" - I don't like my sewer in the same bay I hook up my fresh water)....etc. just to name a few.

Have fun shopping.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

The very first thing you need to find is a floor plan that you won’t compromise with!

We have a MB Sprinter chassis and love the 3.0 litre Diesel engine! My DW is disappointed when she doesn’t get to drive and I love the roomy cab for my big frame of a body!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 PM   #6

We have a Winnebago Navion - love it! No 3 burner stove, however. Have you seen these? They always intrigue me...quality seems decent, but no experience with them.

http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/product-d...elID=2196#Main
JJ Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #7

Looking for a Unicorn?

Born Free Royal Majestic? A touch long at 31' but the F550 chassis should pull the jeep with no issues. Walk around queen with a second sofa bed.

https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/tampa-f...jestic-1017593

Born Free is now (sadly) defunct but made top notch class Cs for decades.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	198364
Old 04-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #8

Our search for the unicorn got a lot easier when I got over the diesel requirement. If you are doing more than 10K miles per year then yes, but otherwise it isn't worth it for most of us.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your valuable input! Going to check out the Dynamax this weekend. I might lose though. Hubby has his heart set on that Allegro...
Jazzed4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzed4Him View Post
Thank you everyone for your valuable input! Going to check out the Dynamax this weekend. I might lose though. Hubby has his heart set on that Allegro...
All rv’s are a bit of give and take...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
All rv’s are a bit of give and take...

Rolling boxes of compromises!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Try Coach House or Newmar

I have owned multiple Class C and B coaches. Finally found the right one. (for now). A Smaller Class A.

If you are looking for a high quality Class C, you might want to look at Coach House RVs. (Pricey too).

You also might want to look at the shorter Class A's offered by Newmar. High quality and short too. The short ones are gas. They make diesel one's too, but they tend to be larger.

Good Luck with your search.

Jerry
Old 05-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
We've just ordered a Renegade Valencia and it ticks all your boxes except for length. A walk-around queen is hard to find these days. Not sure why the push with the kind then have problems just getting around the darned thing. I doubt that the MB diesels will readily haul Jeeps over any mountain passes.

When we moved to a super C I had the intension of downsizing but the super C was so easy to drive that I upsized a few inches. Not pleased with the quality of the Jayco, expecting the Valencia to be better.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote