Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #1

Looking for advice on used RV

We are looking at used Class Cs and have found one that satisifies all our requirements. It appears to be well-built and is in excellent running condition and appearance - with the exception of one fault, and we think it could potentially be a big one. There is a large pale stain on the ceiling. The owners said they had a leak and repaired it as soon as it became apparent, and it has not leaked since. The ceiling does not seem punky; there is no evidence of mold, and there doesn't seem to be any odour. Does anyone have thoughts on this problem. Should it be a deal breaker? Are there other questions we should be asking related to the roof (which looks to be in good condition).

How many years is the rubber good for on tires with low milegae - approximately 25,000 km.

Thanks
2dreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
All RV's leak sooner or later, it is just a matter of time. The real question is how much damage was done and whether it was repaired properly. If you don't feel qualified to answer this question then it comes down to how much you like the coach and and whether you want to pay a professional to look at it. Myself I would try poking around with an Ice pick to see if things are dry rotted but the seller may not appreciate that. As for tires the basic rule of thumb is read the DOT numbers and replace at 6 years of age no matter how much tread is left. I learned my lesson years ago when I blew a left front tire which had over 90% tread left. I crossed two lanes of oncoming traffic and drove a guy off the road before I got it under control.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
What is the make, model and year. How do the floors feel. Check along the walls. Especially where the floor and the walls meet. The ice pick is a good idea. just don't go crazy with it. Is the floor around the toilet and shower firm or feel a little spongy? Lesson to what Brian is telling you. Age of the tires are more important then good tread. Six or seven years old and you may be asking for trouble.

If the owner does not like you poking around then maybe you should move on. Good luck.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
All good answers above...
Add to it those... See if you can inspect the coach for drips or wetness during or shortly after a real frog-strangling rain ...or simulate the same with a good soaking from a garden hose.
Proof is in the pudding ...or puddling!
Good luck,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Good point Good man. I once had a Coachmen, 2000, class A. When the home was level and it was raining I would get a leak. If I was just a little bit off of level no leak. So I guess what I am trying to say is, make sure the home is level before you give it the garden hose test.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Poke somebody's MH with an ice pick? Who's going to want it with holes poked in it if you don't buy it. Push on it with your hand real good and listen while you look for abnormal depressions. If in doubt just pass on it.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote