Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2023, 05:03 PM   #1

Looking for some feedback regarding new tires

My OEM tires are starting to dry rot slightly so it's time to replace them. I can't complain too much, my Forester 2301 is a 2015 model so the tires are probably 9 years old.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between Cooper Discoverer HT3, Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse HT/LT, Michelin Agilis Crossclimate or Toyo Open Country HT II. I figure without shopping around that the Michelin will be more expensive, but I could probably live with that. I don't mind paying for quality, I just don't want to pay for merchandising or hype.

My primary concerns are ride comfort, wet weather handling, quiet ride on the highway and the ability to handle a little snow in case I get caught on the road in the winter. I don't need a 70k mile warranty as the tires will age out before I get to that mileage number.

My Forester has a GVWR of 12,500 so I don't think I need to go with a C rated commercial grade tire, I think a 10ply E rated tire will work as that's what the Generals currently mounted are.

Anyone with any of the tires I listed care to share your thoughts, likes, dislikes, loves, hates? I searched on the forum and it seems that most of the tire threads are for trailers or class A rigs. I really couldn't find a lot for Class C tires.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2023, 05:38 PM   #2

We just went with the Cross Climates and have about 2K miles on them in our Navion IQ. Very smooth. Good in the wet and snow. We drove from SLC to Santa Cruz in snowy/slushy/rainy conditiones no problem
KidzBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:09 PM   #3

I also went with Agilis Crossclimates and I’m totally happy with them.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:24 PM   #4

Go with the C rated commercial tire, as you will gain a larger margin of safety/less chance to blow/get damaged, etc.

Charles
Old 05-28-2023, 09:28 PM   #5

I am running Toyos and am very happy with them. Smooth and quiet, not driven in snow so I can't comment on that.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:33 PM   #6

I went with Kumho Crugen tires with the 121R load rating, gives me some wiggle room rather then being right at max capacity with the OEM tires.

Very happy with the ride 6k on the tires so far.
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:01 AM   #7

I went with the Cooper. Four years, 20,000 miles so far. Ride and handle great and are quiet.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:49 AM   #8

I am a huge fan of the Commercial rated (121) tires for my Class C RVs that are 30' and have a max weight of 14,500lbs. On those, the E-rated tire are too close to their max (especially if tires aren't properly inflated). But on my 23' Class C RV that has a max weight of 12,500lbs, I feel the E-rated tires are perfectly fine. Sounds like E-rated should be fine for you situation.

Since my tires, like many of yours, will age out before wearing out (miles), I've never felt like the extra expense of a "long lasting" tire is worth it. Driving a Class C RV is a fairly noisy experience, so I have also never worried much about "quiet" tires as I don't ever hear them anyways.

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies.

I made a command decision - I'm going with the Hankooks. I found out that they do make them in 225/75/16E. That's the size on there now...but.....is there any benefit to going up one size to 245/75/16? Those tires are 1" taller so it will only raise the rig up 1/2" more from the ground.

The strange thing is I ran my VIN and it's an Express 4500 cab/chassis. If I look for tires for a 2014 Express 3500 - nobody lists the 4500 as a choice - they all come back with 245/75/16E as the standard size.

I go oversized on my Jeep Wrangler but that's a different beast. Is there a benefit going up one size or will I be creating problems I don't need to deal with?
Old 05-29-2023, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Go with the C rated commercial tire, as you will gain a larger margin of safety/less chance to blow/get damaged, etc.

Charles

Thanks Charles. I took a look at them and as my rig is only 25' long with a GVWR of 12,500 I feel that I'll be safe with E rated tires. That's what's on the rig now and I don't ever come close to my weight limit. I weighed it fully loaded with water, including filling up the gas, propane, grey and black tanks just to see what my worst case scenario would be and I was only at 11,250. That being said, I don't run with my water tank full, I usually only fill it about 1/4 of the way for on the road use and I've never maxed out my holding tanks either. Realistically I'm running with about a 2,000lb cushion on weight. And I've been coast to coast twice and up and down the east coast several times (more times than I want to think about on I95!). Now, if I was running a longer or heavier Class C I would totally agree about the C rated tires. I appreciate your input!
Old 05-29-2023, 10:24 PM   #11

My 2021 Thor came with Hankooks, nothing bad to say about them. They were awesome, wore well with no handling issues, would have replaced them with the same if not at load limits of the tires. Replaced at 65k with a good 10k probably left on them but headed to AK and wanted to limit possible issues so replaced with 121R rated Kumhos.
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:44 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed Cooper Discoverer in January. Like them so far. The tread pattern tends to try and follow the rain grooves cut into some concrete freeways though.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have TOYO on front , I have over 26K on them and they are nice,,

Had Michelins on rear.. ... Long story.. previous owner put 4 new on rear left so so on front.. I changed Front to TOYO 4 years ago,, BACKs went bad this year,, cracking in threads,,

I could not bring myself to spent $$$ on Michelins.. My use of RV has tires age out before wear out,,
I went will a I rated odd commercial brand with a 40K warranty. Look like the new Mich... 1/2 cost.. I have a dealer account.. but RV gets used 6-12 times a year at most.. I own it 4 years and have put 26K or so on (43K on rv) , mostly in last 2 years
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:37 PM   #14

Stick with the original load range E, I put the commercial Michelins on a 27’ class C and the ride was noticeably stiffer and caused more rattles and sqeaks. I’ve used the load range E with Michelins and also the Firestone Transforce tires and have been satisfied with both brands but the Michelins are pricy. The larger diameter tire will make your drive ratio a little taller which I wouldn’t want for towing or hill climbing.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires