Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #1

Looking to buy Used Class C

I hope it is OK to post this. I am new here. I'm learning about RVing. I'm a senior and retired looking to Purchase a Class C 25' or less. Should I buy from a dealer or private seller? Should I buy diesel or gasoline. What are the best manufacturers for preowned Class C RV'S. How can I join with other RVers and maybe travel together?
I'm going to rent an RV next month to travel around in Florida to see if I like it before my purchase.
I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks for being here for a Newby trying to live a dream🌴
HeadJacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2022, 12:26 PM   #2

You have to tell us.........
Your budget ?
Mechanical ability ?
Got a companion / partner ?
Going to pull a toad ?
Campgrounds only, or boondocking ?
Lots of driving OR lots of camping ?

Fill in these blanks, plus a whole lot more and you will get better answers.

Mike in Colorado
Old 01-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FWIW, almost all Class Cs you're going to find made in the past 2+ decades will be Ford chassis gas-powered units (no diesels). Usually V8 in a E350 (likely for a 24') and V-10 in a E450. Chrysler (Dodge) and GM (Chevrolet/GMC) have long dropped out of the Class C chassis game.

There are many considerations. Chassis rust (very expensive to fix if it is anything other than surface) is a very distinct possibility for RVs that have spent time in Florida or near the gulf coast. Early Ford Triton motors (anything before 2000) may have spark plug issues. Look for water damage. Lots to learn as there are lots of pitfalls.

And renting to try out is a good idea.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsRV View Post
FWIW, almost all Class Cs you're going to find made in the past 2+ decades will be Ford chassis gas-powered units (no diesels). Usually V8 in a E350 (likely for a 24') and V-10 in a E450. Chrysler (Dodge) and GM (Chevrolet/GMC) have long dropped out of the Class C chassis game.

There are many considerations. Chassis rust (very expensive to fix if it is anything other than surface) is a very distinct possibility for RVs that have spent time in Florida or near the gulf coast. Early Ford Triton motors (anything before 2000) may have spark plug issues. Look for water damage. Lots to learn as there are lots of pitfalls.

And renting to try out is a good idea.

Chevy is still in the class C game. Maybe using their new 6.6L now
Ram is used on some (Ford transit also) class Bís
Ford E350 and 450 are powered with the same engines. currently they are using a new V8 7.3 liter that rolled out in 2021. Previous were 6.8 V10
Diesel are available in class Bís

Not enough info from the OP to really give any suggestions
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:52 AM   #5

HeadJacked,

Buy yourself a good condition used Phoenix Cruiser model 2350. We bought ours new in 2007 and we love it to this very day. CLICK HERE TO SEE MANY PICTURES OF OUR 2350. It's great for the two of us, but would be even better for a single older fellow like yourself. It's easy to drive because of the narrow 93" width, low 10 foot height (to top of a/c unit) and it's great aerodynamics. Our 2007 2350 measures 23'-8" end-to-end. They are also better made than most other brands. Finding one stored indoors throughout it's life would be exceptional. Because they are smaller, many are stored indoors. Phoenix Cruisers are fully featured with decent capacities like the standard class Cs have. It's just a little more compact. Ideally I would not go older than a 2007 to get two house batteries and the whole house inverter. Prior years had one battery and no inverter. If that works for you, then limit yourself to a 2004-2006 to get the integrated spare tire in the fancy rear wall section. The entry door is also better starting mid-year 2004.

Dealer or private party, it matters little. I personally would stay with the ever popular gasoline engine, either the 5.4L-V8 or the most popular 6.8L-V10 in the E350 or E450 chassis. The older 6.0L diesels in those chassis had serious issues that never got resolved.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:40 PM   #6

You are very kind. Thanks for your time and expertise.
HeadJacked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c