Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #29

We are looking to purchase sometime in the next three months. I am finding dealers seem willing to deal now on price but the inventory is low due to winter months. I am also noticing 2017 models are on special to make room for upcoming 2018 models. Overall we might pull the trigger sooner than later due to the available deals and published price increases expected by Winnebago January 1.

P.S. The information available on this forum is amazing and I really appreciate you all sharing your experience with a novice like me. It really provides a great resource. Looks like I am getting sucked in.
Mpowers112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #30

Yes it will run the Fuse's Coleman Mach 10 air conditioner and have ~800W to spare.

Now there's a couple things you should consider. The A/C is 13,500 BTU. I don't know where you are or where you plan to go in your travels. But, anywhere it will be sunny, high humidity & high temperatures that is not enough BTU to maintain a safe comfort level in that size RV. You need at least 15K+ BTU and high CFM. That means a bigger generator. (In our experience with a class B the 9.2 was replaced with a 13.5 which could just barely keep the inside in the low 80s on a 100F/high humidity day in Texas...if you kept it mostly in shade. ) RV ACs can only produce about ~ 15 degree reduction between the intake temp and the chilled exhaust more or less depending on outside ambient conditions.

If I may suggest....you should first be looking at the Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC). Hardly ever given in the spec sheets but posted on a placard on or in the a RV. You want the biggest OCCC for the floor plan you like. Some RVs are like gold plated shovels with rope handles! Meaning they have very limited payload...like two adults, a pup and a bag of crisps and you are at or over weight. How much? Right around 1000lbs...or more.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #31

Starting with our first TC in '78, we've been back and forth across the US west to east between 35 and 40 times wandering from the south to the north borders, and to AK. I've never had a problem getting any fuel, including propane. As others have said, it's all about planning ahead.

I think the Onan propane gen in our last TC was 2500 (2000?) kw. It was never a problem in the 23 years we had it. As I recall it had a switch that limited it to either the AC or micro to prevent using both at the same time.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
As an FYI, there are 3rd party companies that sell a 2nd fuel tank for Sprinter if that is a requirement. I don't know if there will be space already taken by RV components. https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...l-tank-system/
Old 12-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Based on what.. Mercedes is building a new factory in Charleston to build Sprinters. Including the 2018 model year which is supposed to be completed redesigned.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/m...outh-carolina/

Mercedes election not to apply for EPA certification affects only 2017 diesel engines, due to delays in the administrative process and uncertainty over the regulatory changes as a result of Volkswagen's diesel emissions problems.

Read my post, I SAID DIESEL, and the reason is their inability to build a biofuels tolerant injection system. Look it up yourself.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
And gasilone or diesel will never get old in a moving RV as you are always burning fuel and always fueling up as you go on Your journey. And every time you fuel, your geny is full also. And never have to look for that obsolete propane again. And you will always have daisy fresh fuel in your geny. Just keep the service up to date, with new oil, new oil filters and fuel filters and air filters, no matter what fuel you burn and life will be good.

Your comments are interesting given the legion of problems with the gasoline generators in ALL of the forums. They stem from fuel sitting in the genny carburetor not in the gas tank, and cause expensive trouble.

I agree that diesel is the way to go in diesel vehicles, but very few are produced in the diesel rv world, especially in class b and c's.

Propane has drawbacks, but are a good choice for those using their generators only occasionally with gas powered rigs, the chance of a fuel problem with propane is much less than with gas.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Me thinks you are confused. Just cause you read it on the Internet, does not make it true.

And where did you read it lol
Old 12-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #36

I'd recommend the diesel generator for a coach with a diesel engine. Consider the relatively small amount of propane onboard with propane consuming appliances, furnace, hot water, refrigerator and cooking. Now add a propane generator to the mix and you could be breaking camp on a daily basis to refill the tank. Diesel can be added easily when necessary.

For a significant savings, consider purchasing a rig that is 2-3 years old. Every new coach will have some issues. In many cases the previous owner will have worked out some of the bugs, either on their own or through the dealer. They may have added solar panels, a larger capacity house battery bank, larger inverter, tire pressure monitoring system or other features. Buying a coach used from a private party may also include many accessories that take time and money to acquire.

I wouldn't sweat the manufacturers decision one way or another on continuing to build the chassis with a diesel engine. There will be plenty of support and service available regardless.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
LP VS Diesel Generator

I'm one of those crazies with a 2008 Winnebago View and the 3.5L gas engine (and a gas generator). Diesel would have been preferred (these were pre-DEF) but the ones we looked at the time were not in good condition. It has been a fine motorhome.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
I'm one of those crazies with a 2008 Winnebago View and the 3.5L gas engine (and a gas generator). Diesel would have been preferred (these were pre-DEF) but the ones we looked at the time were not in good condition.
I never knew there was a gas view, what make is the chassis/engine and what mpg does it get?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
The engine is still Mercedes on the Sprinter chassis. 3.5L. MPG is 12.5-14. They didn't sell well and were discontinued. The engine is in several other Mercedes vehicles. Power is fine. We have towed a Chevy Tracker (2003, about 3,100 lbs) without issues.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
The engine is still Mercedes on the Sprinter chassis. 3.5L. MPG is 12.5-14. They didn't sell well and were discontinued. The engine is in several other Mercedes vehicles. Power is fine. We have towed a Chevy Tracker (2003, about 3,100 lbs) without issues.
Cool,

That's not bad mpg.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Read my post, I SAID DIESEL, and the reason is their inability to build a biofuels tolerant injection system. Look it up yourself.
I did look it up. I found two original articles about Mercedes pulling their diesel CARS out of North America. The rest of the articles I found were just reprints of those two articles. The articles site the possibility that the reason might be Mercedes injection systems having problems with biodiesel with more than 5% bio. Mercedes has not confirmed that is the reason as far as I could find. The real problem was the over reaction from the VW investigation and the fallout from that.

Since Mercedes has been making diesel vehicles for longer than most anyone else I am sure they will find a way to overcome the biodiesel problem if in fact that is the reason they are pulling out of the diesel car market.

As a side note there is a ton of bad information out there about biodiesel. My son and I both have made our own biodiesel for many years. We no longer do it because the price at the pump has dropped from the $4 a gallon it was down to the point it is not really worth the trouble. If the price went back up to around $4 a gallon I would probably go back to making my own for my Dodge truck with the old mechanical injection pump. I would not put it in my Navion because the injection system is much more sophisticated than my old Dodge and therefore wouldn't run well on a fuel it was not designed for.

I ran my home made biodiesel in both my 1998 Dodge truck and my 1984 Mercedes car. They both ran fine on it and didn't smoke at all when running on straight biodiesel. There are some steps in making it where you can take shortcuts and have a very poor fuel. If you don't take shortcuts you can have a great fuel for diesel engines. Properly made biodiesel has excellent lubrication qualities and is also a good cleaning agent for the sludge you can get in your fuel system. When first using it you do have to have a couple of spare fuel filters because the sludge from the tank will stop them up until the tank is clean.

After many thousands of miles in those two vehicles running on 100% biodiesel I never had a problem with the injectors or the injection pumps.

Just some opinions from someone that actually has experience with biodiesel.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #42

Biodiesel is great, as is the Ford Transit that is designed to run on the blends. I really considered the sprinter chassis based MH's for along time and was swayed by all the posts here that talked about sprinter owners searching for 5% bio, and also the emission related problems they were having.

The WBGO fuse we ended up with is working out great.

Tags
diesel, generator