RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I carry a set of plastic ramps. Maybe overkill, but some of the GC's we have been to need up to 5-6 inches.

Just need room to store them.

I have wood pads also, but I just use them under the jack pads.

We didn't have jacks on the last rig, so I am familier with using blocks.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 11:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
well since you glued them they will be much less likely to split. I had the same idea about sandwiching them in plywood, also glued, if you see signs of splittage. That would probably gain you a lot service time out of them. But my guess is they are pretty sturdy as is.

You could also nail some rope handles on the ends with rome’s or fence wire stables to make them easier to pull out. I like that storage shelf - very handy.
Yeah I was thinking of putting a rope handle on the end, but they're actually pretty easy to grab, and once I get them halfway out I have the metal handle to grab.

I was just comparing them to my Lynx levelers, and they come out pretty close to the same height at each of the three levels right now. If I add plywood to the bottom the middle level will match pretty close but the other two are going to be off. This is if I use them on the rear duals, I'll put a stack of the Lynx levelers for the inside tire.

So I'm rethinking the plywood thing, maybe I'll go with a thinner plywood. I don't think it would matter much if each tire support was maybe a half inch different height. But I do think plywood bottoms would especially help stop the first level from cracking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_090024.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	306554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_085905.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	306555  

Name:	20201031_085843.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	306556  
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #17

I built some with 2x10s and have used them for about 3 years now. I didnít nail or screw them together though. I left all separate and stack only what I need to level coach. I drilled pilot holes in each set so I could stack them and put a pins in them to lock them together as needed. Works very well.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
I built some with 2x10s and have used them for about 3 years now. I didn’t nail or screw them together though. I left all separate and stack only what I need to level coach. I drilled pilot holes in each set so I could stack them and put a pins in them to lock them together as needed. Works very well.
That's basically what I did using 2X6s with TCs for about 40 years, except I wasn't smart enough to to use pilot holes and pins (dowels?) to keep them from sliding on the front wheels. When that happened a few times I would put the truck in 4wd and it would climb right up on them. Then we had the Flair without 4wd and it was a pain sometimes. Now we're back to a TC and I'll have to make some more blocks for it, but now I'll have a solution for the blocks sliding when stacked, thanks.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #19

I took 3/4" plywood, cut into 8"X24" peices and doubled them up with screws. Gives me an inch and a half lift per board. Plywood doesn't split like lumber.

I stair stack them, 90įs to the rear tires, and drive up. 24" is long enough that both tires ride up on them.

Having them seperate makes them easy to use and store, and I have gone as high as 4 boards ( 6 inchs ) high.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
I built some with 2x10s and have used them for about 3 years now. I didnít nail or screw them together though. I left all separate and stack only what I need to level coach. I drilled pilot holes in each set so I could stack them and put a pins in them to lock them together as needed. Works very well.
That's a great idea using pins like that. I just decided to do it this way since I have a good place to store them.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #21

You're on the right track, I'm sure you'll get it figured out and they'll work great! Love that storage spot that's pretty sweet!!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
You're on the right track, I'm sure you'll get it figured out and they'll work great! Love that storage spot that's pretty sweet!!
Glued and screwed some half inch plywood on there, I think these are going to last okay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201031_125404.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	306578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_125341.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	306579  

Old 10-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
i think they will. Now they need a paint job.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
i think they will. Now they need a paint job.
Nah, no paint. Just spraying them with a few coats of clear sealer, let the glue dry up well, then they're ready to roll.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:53 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Yeah I was thinking of putting a rope handle on the end, but they're actually pretty easy to grab, and once I get them halfway out I have the metal handle to grab.

I was just comparing them to my Lynx levelers, and they come out pretty close to the same height at each of the three levels right now. If I add plywood to the bottom the middle level will match pretty close but the other two are going to be off. This is if I use them on the rear duals, I'll put a stack of the Lynx levelers for the inside tire.

So I'm rethinking the plywood thing, maybe I'll go with a thinner plywood. I don't think it would matter much if each tire support was maybe a half inch different height. But I do think plywood bottoms would especially help stop the first level from cracking.
Do you know what the weight difference is between the plastic blocks vs the ramps you built?
They look great but Iíd be concerned about carrying the extra weigh due to many class Cís being close to their GVWR without all the stuff a typical RVír brings along.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:12 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Very nice for sharing. I have 2 sets a litle diffrent but the same idea. I like your design a litle better.

I built them primary for the rear axle on my MH when the rear is low and leveling would take the tires off the ground. The two sets allow for blocks under all 4 of the rear tires. I also used them on the front, under the Jack's on soft soil. And many other ways
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:29 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Do you know what the weight difference is between the plastic blocks vs the ramps you built?
They look great but Iíd be concerned about carrying the extra weigh due to many class Cís being close to their GVWR without all the stuff a typical RVír brings along.
I carry a set of these ramps. !6,000 pound rating, and weigh 17 pounds. They will lift up to 6 1/2 inches.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ps/A-p8607582e
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
I'm carrying the lego blocks too, but I travel light and I'm usually alone anyway. Also where I store them is right behind the passenger door, so the weight is forward.

Just weighed them and they're 27 pounds each. I lost about 30 lb in the past year, so we're good 😎

Tags
leveling