RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 08:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I carry a set of these ramps. !6,000 pound rating, and weigh 17 pounds. They will lift up to 6 1/2 inches.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ps/A-p8607582e
Those look great, except there's no flat spot in the middle, so you'd have to go part way up the ramp and then chock it, if you only need 2 or 3 inches of lift. A neighbor has similar ramps, he always uses them when he's working on his lower profile vehicles. Makes it easier to get under them.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 11:36 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Those look great, except there's no flat spot in the middle, so you'd have to go part way up the ramp and then chock it, if you only need 2 or 3 inches of lift. A neighbor has similar ramps, he always uses them when he's working on his lower profile vehicles. Makes it easier to get under them.
You are right about no step. I just usually go a little past where I want, then apply the park brake. It will roll back a bit, but with practice, you figure out how much.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #31

I cut landscape nails for pins (cheap). Stacked one set boards and drilled through all 3 boards at same time so all 4 holes would line up when stacked so pins would go in easy. I labeled the sets A, B, C, D so I wouldnt have problems with pins holes lining up to put pines in. Cut down 2 sets of landscape nails, 1 set cut for 3 boards in height the other set cut shorter for just 2 boards. Since landscape nails have a head on them I drilled a counter sink on top a boards so nail heads would set flush. I also put a peace of angle aluminum as a stop on the top board just for little precaution.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #32

Just to wrap up... I added chest pulls, like I have on the sides, to the backs. Also decided since I can't stack the Lego/Lynx blocks to the same height as these platforms, if I need to level the motorhome side to side I'll put both of these on the rear duals, and use the Lego blocks for the front tire(s). I have two packs of those, so I should be able to level up just about anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201102_134525.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	306744  
Old 11-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #33

Very similar to what I had for my 34' Thor class A.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #34

levelling ramps

nice design, but all that wood adds ### weight.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp View Post
nice design, but all that wood adds ### weight.
27 pounds each, I usually travel alone so that will be like a 54 lb passenger😁
Old 11-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #36

Mats

I use horse mats and cut them into 12" squares and leave 2 at 12" by 36"
This makes them very versatile, you can add, subtract as you need and they do not slide or break. We boondock most of the time and these mats can be used to get out of soft sand as well.
ArcticRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRebel View Post
I use horse mats and cut them into 12" squares and leave 2 at 12" by 36"
This makes them very versatile, you can add, subtract as you need and they do not slide or break. We boondock most of the time and these mats can be used to get out of soft sand as well.
Great idea,how thick is a Matt?
Ted Lambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #38

I think they are 3/4".....maybe 1" but you can stack them as high as you need with no slip. If I have to go high, I start with two and the next would be 4 and then 6 and so on........very versatile....
I've used them to raise the back of the truck to raise the front of the fox and on the fox's wheels as well....any combination can be done
ArcticRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:05 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I have exactly the same levelling blocks for our Class A, made them the same way using 2 x12s. Have had them for about 6+ years now, all I did different was I added a 3/4 piece of scrap plywood to the bottom. Im sure 1/2 would do the same job. Screwed and glued the crap outta them during construction and they are still going strong. If anything, the plywood on the bottom would stop any splitting, if they were prone to.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:31 AM   #40

A long time ago, I used wood blocks. But, I never fastened them together. I don't usually need very much leveling. However, I have, a few times had to block up under my leveling jacks when the jacks were extended to their full extent. Usually, I am lucky enough to get a fairly level site, but not always.
I think the home made ramps are nice to have handy and they look good.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #41

Leveling blocks

I use PVC trim boards, 1x10, cut into ~14 pieces. Theyre very light weight, last forever, impervious to weather, and will flex enough to conform to the ground if needed.

I find the 3/4 dimension more useful, more often, than 2x4 lumber. I still carry some 2x10 blocks just in case I need some real heighth.
dj1100rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtrooper View Post
I have exactly the same levelling blocks for our Class A, made them the same way using 2 x12s. Have had them for about 6+ years now, all I did different was I added a 3/4 piece of scrap plywood to the bottom. Im sure 1/2 would do the same job. Screwed and glued the crap outta them during construction and they are still going strong. If anything, the plywood on the bottom would stop any splitting, if they were prone to.
Good to hear. I don't know if you read down further in the thread but I did add half inch plywood to the bottoms, and I glued and screwed the heck out of them too. Even if the bottom one does crack, I think it'll all hold together.

Tags
leveling