Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #1

Making More Shelves in Your Cabinets

Please let me know if this has been covered before...

I want to add more shelves in my cabinets. Wood will always work, but i like to think light...maybe wire shelving? What have you done that works for you?

Cheers!
Chris
Jimmy Jime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found some wire baskets at Wallyworld and screwed some 1 x 1's in for slide rails.
The work well in the closet.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #3

Just the last few weeks, I've been building wooden shelves and storage trays in my Sunstar. I tried all of the wire stuff, including the expandable wire shelves, and nothing met my needs.

So far, I've added a big shelf in the trunk, as well as a smaller set to use otherwise awkward space. Also one in a clothes closet, wooden trays in the overhead cabinet over the couch, and just today, a shelf in a big under-counter cabinet in the kitchen.

The key is to study RV techniques. You probably don't need 3/4" plywood shelves. For shelves behind doors, I use thin plywood (1/8" lauan sometimes, 1/4" ply mostly) and pine 1x2s for framing. (When I make something that's exposed, I use poplar or birch and stain and finish to match the cabinetry.)

RV walls are the really thin 1/8" plywood that doesn't hold screws well, so I either support the shelves on 1x2 legs in the corners, or on cleats stuck up with VHB tape and short screws.

Sometimes you need to use some creative thinking.The under-counter cabinet shelf was a special case. The inverter is behind the back wall, and the converter is under the bottom, so I couldn't do anything "permanent". The 2 sides are 1/4" ply 9 1/2" tall, with a 1x2 cleat 1 1/2" down from the top. The shelf is cut to a force fit between the sides, with a 1x2 rail under the front and back.

Prop the sides up, wedge the top in between them and the whole thing is self supporting and easily removable. I might put a screw in each side of the top just to keep it from squeaking.

Also, if you like to use off-the-shelf plastic storage boxes, rolling your own shelves lets you match their sizes.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jime View Post
Please let me know if this has been covered before...

I want to add more shelves in my cabinets. Wood will always work, but i like to think light...maybe wire shelving? What have you done that works for you?

Cheers!
Chris
Here are a few photos of some of the things we have done to improve storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210530_174331.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	339528   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210530_175033.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	339529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_073919.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	339530   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_073923.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	339531  

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #5

As said walls are very thin and you don't know what is behind them, so screws may not be the best fastener. As shown in nodine picture, a bar or cleat glued may be your best support, and/or support legs.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:18 AM   #6

Thanks...the photos were a nice touch. I have also heard of people drilling holes and using zip ties to support wire hangers.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #7

My wife requested shelves in 2 motorhome. The deep tall ones. and in a corner mostly for linens and things. I used a thin plywood almost like Luan. used 1 x 2's for legs and built as many as she wanted. Very lightweight, slide in and can be removed with no damage to the next owner. You can stack them in any size she wants in any closet.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:29 AM   #8

I like nodine's work...well done!
Well fastened and has a lip across the front.
You just doubled your storage in that cabinet.

Our interior has a dark cherry finish. I found some very nice matching prefinished shelving at Home Depot that I used in places.

I added one such shelf in our shirt closet for extra linens. The smooth shelf without a lip has not been a problem for that use. Picture not available.

Using that same shelving, on one side of the front TV (in our B+) I made vertical slots for all our paperwork of all sorts. Books are stored here as well as national park & travel literature, RV manuals, chassis manual, etc. (big Rand McNally Road Atlas across the top)

On the other side, I installed one shelf plus a charging station.

Each for it's dedicated use, right?

I got bold and reconfigured our galley base cabinet. I calculated the change increased galley storage by 85%, almost double what we originally had.
CLICK HERE to read all about the project which includes many pictures.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #9

Awesome ��
Old 08-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #10

I used and by installing upside down keeps things from wire shelving like shown above. Works great and when installed upside down keeps things on the shelf.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Added wire shelves above like others above but found Book Bins fit perfect in cabinets by cutting back lip off! Can goods lay down cross ways in them perfectly! Aldis runs them on sale for about $6
https://www.amazon.com/Interlocking-...roducts&sr=1-3