Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #1

Moisture meter

hi, does anyone use one and what brand. I have been looking and there are so many at all price ranges, not sure which one to get for checking our class c
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got this one

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was not expensive and it does not require that pins penetrate the test area like some. I figured that an exact measurement was not needed. I can place it on the wall or ceiling and sweep it back and forth. If it reacts to any percentage over 10 I go looking for the cause. Leaks will be obvious. Exact measurements aren't needed.

These meters have made a huge change in the way I treat leaks. Before I had to constantly look for leaks in the roof because they would destroy the structure before I would know I had them. I worried. Now I sweep occasionally after a hard rain and if I find any I simply fix them and take steps to remove the moisture before damage is done. I still walk the roof every month or two and still replace caulk as needed. I even preemptively replaced the forward eternabond strip on the front cap seam but the concern of unseen damage is gone.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #3

thanks so much, you can not be too anal about any moisture/leaks. I know, never I had a problem until I went under our previous tt and the plastic chassis lining was full of water and rotting floor.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
thanks so much, you can not be too anal about any moisture/leaks. I know, never I had a problem until I went under our previous tt and the plastic chassis lining was full of water and rotting floor.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 12-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #5

I got this one: https://smile.amazon.com/ThermoPro-T...dp/B06XTPTG1J/
Old 12-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought the older style ($35-$45-range) GENERAL Brand, PINLESS (Lowes/HD tool area) but also own the PIN type; Believe I recently saw in store that the newer models are combo dual function pin/pin-less $60 range? Survey your whole RV as a learning lesson, (Mark concern area borders w/ small bits of masking tape for visual?) there is probably a small learning curve on interpretation, and maybe some false readings from metals/ wiring. As KAHOONA said, (some) is comparison readings, and wet does not always mean/ require tear out, or mold concerns. Some Lauan veneers, as example, look dark/blackish mushy when wet, but turn back to dark brown firm wood when dried back out, and may only require some glue or minor repairs. Luck
Old 12-28-2020, 07:15 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchySB View Post

Forgive me for saying it but that one is for measuring humidity in the air. You need a meter for moisture in a wall like the one I posted earlier. Sorry.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Forgive me for saying it but that one is for measuring humidity in the air. You need a meter for moisture in a wall like the one I posted earlier. Sorry.
Oh OK, thanks for correcting me. Learning every day.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #9

Look at west marine, get a meter that measures hulls.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm shopping around for a 1st RV and bought a NP General brand one like THenne1713 suggested (using a NP moisture meter was also strongly advised by a RV repair shop up to their eyeballs in repair work).

Used it to check an RV at a dealership today. First note is that it doesn't seem to work on roofs (at least from above) and walls. Fortunately, it seems to work very on floors where I used it to find at least 5 spots of concern in the RV (walking away though I should be running).

TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #11

Wow, this is great info! We're looking for our first RV and never thought of bringing a moisture meter. Looks like HD has a combo pin/pad model for $50. Gonna have to pick one up!
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:51 AM   #12
chs

Be careful using one of them. I tried it out (while MH was being stored in my garage) and it was giving me higher than normal readings up high in the walls. Mentioned it to a service tech and he said that they will pick up condensation caused by heat / cold differences. That said, nothing to worry about. I thought I was having major problems at first.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:47 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the MM yesterday to check out a couple of Class As. First one had a suspect roof sewage cap (blue tape to cover it?) Moisture meter was beeping near in the bathroom ceiling near where the vent was, and also around the shower skylight. Pressing around - not heavily - that vent cap, the wood gave way with a crack.

Checked out another one and went up to the roof. No delamination but there were lots of broken/cracked plastic vents, and now I know what is meant by cracks in caulking. This one was a text book example! MM was showing dry (10-15% then hits 99.9% and drops again....) May have been false reading but all the dried and cracked caulking was a reason to walk away.

TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchySB View Post
Oh OK, thanks for correcting me. Learning every day.
Personally, I'm glad you posted that one as well. It's good to know the air humidity as well. That can play a role in how the meter will accurately read. There's another post that mentions this.

Tags
moisture