Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Motor bike carrying rack

We have an Icon 24ft and are considering taking a motor bike with us. Anyone one having experience using a rack or towing one please weigh in on your advise. We are thinking about Honda 150 cc, about 280 lbs.
Freedom lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #2

What’s the tongue weight rating in your rv?

Depending on that answer, there are basic aluminum hitch mounted carriers to hydraulic carriers.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tongue weight is 350 lbs
Freedom lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

I see all kinds of carriers at various dirt bike events around the Southwest. All seem to work as expected. The Ultimate MX Hauler (hydraulic) seems easier for 1 person to load without much effort. However, the hydraulic jack has failed making loading a little more difficult until replaced. Also, the hauler weighs about 70 lbs by itself.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:48 PM   #5

I too have the Ultimate MX Hauler with gas can mount attached. Highly recommend it.
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom lady View Post
Tongue weight is 350 lbs
350# tongue doesn’t leave you much to work with

280# motorcycle minus 350# tongue gives you 70# for the carrier which would put you at max rating
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #7

I have 3bstreet legal dirt bikes I alternate on either the amc400 aluminum standard style rack with tie downs or the ultimate mx. The ultimate mx seems more secure, u use bolts over foot pegs and I added lock nuts so I don't have to twist so hard on the pegs. I prefer the ultimate mx for 1 person ease, not worry about tipping bikenover, not that I'd done so on the other rack I'd had for 10 years. The amc is easily 30 lbs lighter, maybe more. My hitch weight is 500lbs tho. Fwiw I carried my xr650r or ktm 625sxc on my jeep with the amc400 for many years no issues, 350 lbs hitch rating.

Dunno if you have a 150 but if looking for a decent dual sport powerful enough for two you're likely looking at a ktm LC4 variant or if lucky a nice shape xr plated. 600 to 650 seem safe sweet spot. My ktm 625sxc and xr650r weigh in around 308 bs fueled ready to go.
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:06 PM   #8

I just bought a Honda 150 PCX scooter to put on the back of our class c.

It weights less than 300#.
Fuel injected
Water cooled
Freeway legal if you need it.

I am really impressed with this little scooter.

I bought a rack on Amazon for $80 and will buy a long folding ramp instead of the ramp that came with it. The ramp was way too short.

When I put in the back of our 22B FourWinds the RV did not go down at all.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7795.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	191196

Do it all the time.
IDntWannaWrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
American Tradition 2013

Anyone know what type of rear lights they used for this. I want to switch them over to LED.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #11

I have carried a Kawasaki KLX250 on a Harbor Freight hitch carrier on our Winnebago 22R, it has worked fine, no problems, only downside is getting the bike out of the pockets the wheels ride in, I cannot just roll the bike out, I have to lift the front wheel out of the pocket, then roll it off. I think part of the trouble is the knobby tires catch the edges of the pockets.
Carrying the bike on the back of the camper is no problem, doesn’t effect handling. You don’t know it’s back there.
Joe I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #12

Kind off pricey, but a swivel trailer is a another option. Consider a used one from Craig's List and resale option to keep cost investment down. With that trailer you can carry up to a 1000 lbs (Goldwing 1800) and no licenses plate required.
http://www.cruiserlift.com/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #13

For the klx, you're better off with a ultimate mx jack rack, with what you got, you should be able to grab the top of the rear knob tire and pull it back as you hold the front bar and clutch. Using the tire for leverage will give you mechanical advantage instead of just back.

For my dual sports , they are 300,310 lbs fueled above technique works fine on my amc400 rack tho the motor jack ultimate mx is a better, safer solution
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #14
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe I View Post
I have carried a Kawasaki KLX250 on a Harbor Freight hitch carrier on our Winnebago 22R, it has worked fine, no problems, only downside is getting the bike out of the pockets the wheels ride in, I cannot just roll the bike out, I have to lift the front wheel out of the pocket, then roll it off. I think part of the trouble is the knobby tires catch the edges of the pockets.
Carrying the bike on the back of the camper is no problem, doesn’t effect handling. You don’t know it’s back there.
I placed a piece of plywood across all the rods/pockets except the ones that the tires fit in. A lot easier to roll it across.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote