Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Motor Cycle Rack

I have seen way too many RV's with a bike sagging off the back. We were going to get a small scooter but my larger bike is only 600 pounds 200 more than a itty bitty scooter. The problem is the cab-chassis frame does not go all the way to the back and this limits the tongue weight to 500 pounds. With a hitch rack and bike I would be 300 pounds over.

I would like to add a stronger sub-frame to allow the bike to be mounted and ride steady. I have seen a couple racks on the big RVs using tongue jacks to lift and lower the rack too. This would eliminate a long ramp and a challenge for an older guy riding a bike up the side of the RV.

Has anyone modified the rear of their 23 footer? I assume the 21-27 all have the same frames but could not tell for sure. Later I will try to post some under carriage photos.
Gimpyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd imagine the extended frame isn't built to support that much weight. That means you'd have to add steel (and weight) to reinforce the rear area to handle a strong enough receiver to hold the weight of the cycle, jacking system, etc. Then that raises another issue, how much reserve weight do you have in your rear axle capacity? The distance from the rear axle means that anything hung on the back of the RV will move more suddenly and dramatically on a bump and also remove weight from the front axle.

I'd load up the RV as if traveling and weigh it to see what loads you're carrying now. Then you can calculate if the chassis can handle the weight of a reinforced frame, rack, and cycle.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

I carry either an xr650r or a ktm 625sxc on the hitch rack, mine is a mx hauler with the hydraulic jack...about 50 lbs, bikes are about 308 fueled ready to go. You might consider changing bike styles. I've had Harleys, sport bikes and dirt bikes, not much I can't do with this combo. Fwy is ok for up to two hrs, never tried more, twisties decent, and both are stellar off road explorers. Lots of light bikes in this genre.
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Check out "Mighty Hauler"
This is a basic lift capable of holding a Burgmann Bike.
I've seen it used on a Class C holding approx. 500 lb.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #5

I have a swivel trailer attached to the rear frame of my fifth wheel. The trailer weighs 450 lb and I haul a Honda VTX 1300 which weighs 550, plus 2 bikes and ramps so 1100 lb total wt. The single wheel carries 1/2 the wt. so the frame hitch is carrying about 550lbs. The trailer I have is made by Master Craft from Katy, TX and cost about $3k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3102.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	182849  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

All great ideas. We have weighed the MH and have plenty of excess to use with the bike. We just bought the bike and changed from a dual sport to a cruiser so we will stay with the one bike for now. Finally we are trying to avoid a trailer to make stops easier.

Similar to the MX Hauler I am looking to build something for a heavier bike. If I make it as a rack I can also use it for Ice Chests or excess cargo. Ideally it would fold up as so many already do.

The biggest issue is designing the new subframe that can handle the weight. Currently the subframe barely supports what is there. Poorly designed for an RV.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #7

We just installed a Hydralift on our class A . I take an 800 lb bike with me on my trips instead of toading . I highly recommend it .
ghawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I have a swivel trailer attached to the rear frame of my fifth wheel. The trailer weighs 450 lb and I haul a Honda VTX 1300 which weighs 550, plus 2 bikes and ramps so 1100 lb total wt. The single wheel carries 1/2 the wt. so the frame hitch is carrying about 550lbs. The trailer I have is made by Master Craft from Katy, TX and cost about $3k.
For your situation i would go as grindstone01 suggested with the Master Craft.

I feel your pain wanting to have a bike when traveling. Although my MH is a class A gasser i wanted a bike along to explore so i bought a Ford Ranger, rampage lift, and a few upgrades to the trucks suspension. I mention this to note it cost allot to do it right..... AND safe.

The only MH's i've noticed with a bike off the back are ALL DP (desiel pashers). I would never consider adding a carrier and bike to the back of and class A gas rig or models below. I've seen way to many configurations on the road that are way beyond safe. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

One thing i would hope grindstone01 master Craft trailer has is a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). If that tire ever goes flat it won't be pretty. Once before retirement and going from NY to our FL. home with my Sienna and open trailer in tow w/Harley i noticed the trailer leaning, the tire was going flat. By the time
i stopped the tire was destroyed. Once the spare was installed I still had 1000 mile to go with no spare now. Wasted 2 hours finding a new wheel and tire, really bought 2 as flats do happen especially on smaller tires spinning much faster.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You say poorly designed for an rv???
Actually it's the just enough design for it !

I would guess it would take SO much to update your smaller rv and still leave it somewhat unsafe that I would vote for the great idea of a 4 down pickup to haul the bike, then you have the best of both worlds in the case of rain, etc...

and how many of us keep one rv long enough to warrant special upgrades ?!? Come back in a year and let us know which new to you RV you've migrated to
Old 11-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #10

Well I do appreciate thoughts on wanting a bigger MH later on. Also modifying this one at great expense to make a barely safe ride. The bike is only 600 pounds. The bumper is rated for 500. Towing is limited to 5000. Yes a trailer would work fine but makes having the smaller MH useless.

In between rain today I crawled around and I think I can add to the frame direct with bolting and clamps without stressing the frame by welding. That should always be a last option. The wife and I sleeping on the rear bunk ads a lot of weight to the rear end and if we let the two dogs romp around too we are well over 500 pounds. My concern is tearing the subframe from the chassis frame. I know the cargo holds are rated for the weight and we had 1000 pounds plus remaining on the last trip. We travel real light.

Too many MH's have a really large bike hanging off the rear bumper. Both Class A and C are doing this. My MH looks nice and will look nicer with a quality rack holding a light cruiser on the back.

The Hydra Lifts are only for larger class a MHs now. I am in the process of talking with them now.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
tcg

I carry a 350lb Suzuki Bergman. When I first put it on the hitch carrier the back end lowered a few inches. Enough to make me rethink the plan.

My problem wasn't the frame it was the springs. I took it in and had the leaf spring re curved and added an extra one. Now when I load up the back end doesn't move at all.

The bonus was it handled a lot better.

All that being said I'm looking at a swivel wheel like in the post above.

It's not a trailer, it stays inline with the rear end so you just back up and it follows. No worries about jackknifing.

They also make a two wheel version that will take a much larger bike. That should solve your tongue weight problem.

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #12

I have the swivel trailer on my fifth wheel, and I do have a TPMS to monitor the tire while traveling. With the Goldwing 1800 at a weight of 950 lb, the single tire would last about 2500 miles whereas with a VTX1300 at 550 lbs, the tire last about 8k miles. I also have a rear mounted camera to watch the bike, it seems that the tie down straps always come loose after the first 50 miles. Also, I carry 2 spares since the 8", 8 ply 100 psi tires are hard to find. The trailer I have is tapered at the back to allow for the tail swing when turning. I also like the bike mounted length wise on the trailer which allows the bike suspension to work as designed vs the bike mounted crosswise. No licenses plate is required as it is considered a camper frame extension. The 2 tire trailer only adds a couple hundred LB payload, but doubles your tire issues. Check on Craigs List and FB for a used swivel trailer.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Does the swivel trailer count as another axle when paying tolls? Just curious.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Does the swivel trailer count as another axle when paying tolls? Just curious.

I believe it is considered a extra axle, however at most toll booths, the operator can't see the tapered rear of the swivel trailer, so I usually don't get charged. It's comical to watch my side mirror as I pull through the booth and see the booth operator poke his head out the window and do a double look.