Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Mouse urine and nests....

We were gone for 3 months and the Class-C sat next to the garage and woods. The mechanics at the shop said they found mouse nests all over the engine. They cleaned them out to replace some worn belts... but the stench of mouse urine remains. Would it be OK to spray the engine with something like Gunk or soapy water and hose the mouse urine away? The smell permeates the entire rig and is nauseating. Is there some part of the engine that shouldn't be spayed?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Get a couple of cans of engine cleaner, spray and rinse with a hose. Or take the rig to a do-it-yourself car wash and spray off the engine there. Unless you direct hard spray right into distributer or computer, they are built to handle a little water. Don't spray exhaust manifolds when very hot.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We were gone for 3 months and the Class-C sat next to the garage and woods. The mechanics at the shop said they found mouse nests all over the engine. They cleaned them out to replace some worn belts... but the stench of mouse urine remains. Would it be OK to spray the engine with something like Gunk or soapy water and hose the mouse urine away? The smell permeates the entire rig and is nauseating. Is there some part of the engine that shouldn't be spayed?
Getting rid of this smell is a pain. There is a product that comes in a cloth bag that has wood chips and some type of deodorant that works real well to get rid of the odor. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name but, if you go to a Farm Supply type store, they likely have it or a similar product. It is fairly popular with farmers.
FYI, I used a product called Mouse Free last year before I put my rig into storage. Can not say 100% this was the reason but, I had no mice today when I pulled off the cover.

http://www.mouse-free.com/
Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When the RV is being stored for any significant time near the wood, I suggest duct taping a box of DECON to the lid of the air cleaner. Rodents love to nibble on plastic insulation coating wires and make nests inside air cleaners. You're very lucky they did not gain access to the interior of your RV.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

You may want to check thru out the whole camper in the back of the cupboards and such, you may find you have a dead one you smell. If not try the foaming engine degreaser that you find in the parts store, like others said warm the engine a little but dont hit the exhaust manifolds when they are hot let them cool down first
grizzlyalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #6

Thank you for all your advice. I'll be hitting the Super Walmart store's automotive section for some de-greaser, or maybe call the Auto Part store in town. I'll also pick up some mouse bait. The mice here wont eat those that looks like blue pellets. I'm sure I can find something else. We have a good Farm Supply type store in town also. It's called Tractor Supply or something like that.

I looked for nests inside the Class-C and didn't find any or any urine smells in the draws and cupboards. Al the rodent smell is from the front. The longer the drive, the stinkier it gets.

And yes, they had to replace some electrical wires the rotten rodents chewed over the winter.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may want to check your heater for nest as well. I had a nest in my dump truck heater that had a smell all winter long with no defroster or heat. Something I couldn't fix until warmer weather. Good luck with your MH.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #8

The products with enzymes to eliminate cat urine odors would probably also work for mouse urine odor.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
You may want to check your heater for nest as well. I had a nest in my dump truck heater that had a smell all winter long with no defroster or heat. Something I couldn't fix until warmer weather. Good luck with your MH.
Ho Boy! We'll have to look there too. I don't know what stinks worse, dead mice or 3 months worth of their urine and feces. If it ever stops raining here this is the first thing we'll be dealing with. Yep, we're expecting more rain tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
The products with enzymes to eliminate cat urine odors would probably also work for mouse urine odor.

Joel
Those are supposed to be good products. We can't SEE where the rodent dirt is. So will need to wash the engine - if that makes any sense. To hose it so the water and whatever we use gets around in areas we can't easily see. The mice had nests all over the engine area the tech said. It was a real rodent city over the winter. I am truly glad they didn't move inside the RV and stink everything up, such as the draws and cabinets and beds. They stayed in the engine area.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #11

Be careful

CDC - Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) - Hantavirus
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #12

Your 4 cats may have to be written up for there first warning of not doing there job
grizzlyalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #13

If it were me I would use Simple Green to spray down the engine and to neutralize the urine. Can be bought anywhere and has a fresh odor. Spray and let it sit a few minutes and then hose it off.. Good luck!!!! JIM
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Good grief!!! I'll have to tell my husband about this. It didn't cross my mind we could get some disease from these disgusting rodents. I'll watch for the symptoms as we did drive it some 45 to 50 miles this past week.

I think I'll scatter some used cat litter around the wooded and brushy area on the one side of the RV, and out of the way on the garage side. I've heard several times that mice and rats will avoid areas where they smell cat urine or feces.