Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

Multimeter to test for Battery Drain

Our MH house battery will drain down within a few hours with "only" the refer on. Obviously we have a drain somewhere else. Lights, A/C, inverter, etc are off. i have read about using a multimeter to test for battery drain.....please tell me where the red and black cords should be plugged into the multimeter and what the "guage" or "reading" should be set to. THANKS!!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

checking battery drain

in my experance many multi meters are not able to measure dc current except mily amps. if you are trying to check battery draw while the rig is not being used i would put a 12v taillight bulb in series with the ground cable from the battery if the bulb light lights there is a draw
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Probably you do not have an "inverter".......but a "converter" Right?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

I have an inverter and converter
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you are just testing to see if there is a a load on the battery with everything off, disconnect the positive battery lead first.

(Now let me see if i get this straight)

Using a 12v test light is easier IMHO.
Anyway, connect the ground of the test light to the disconnected positive cable, and touch the test probe of the light to the positive battery post. If you get any light, you have a short.
It should work the same way with a multimeter, if you see any voltage on the meter, same as above.
It's been a while since I've done this, so forgive any mistakes, but I'm pretty sure this is right.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

not quite right. The tests above using a test light will likely show that something is causing a draw. However, the described multimeter test puts a voltmeter in series, and that won't work. It needs to be set on the ampere setting and it will show how many amps are drawn.

However, if it's a lot, you might blow the fuse in the multimeter.

Another way is to go to Digi-key and buy a very high current say, 10-20 amps (that's 100-200W or so @ 12V) resistor in .1 ohm. Put this in series with the positive battery cable and the battery. Put a voltmeter across the resistor and the voltage will be 10x the current draw in amps.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post
Our MH house battery will drain down within a few hours with "only" the refer on. Obviously we have a drain somewhere else. Lights, A/C, inverter, etc are off. i have read about using a multimeter to test for battery drain.....please tell me where the red and black cords should be plugged into the multimeter and what the "guage" or "reading" should be set to. THANKS!!!!!!
larrydp, I know you said that the inverter is off but ARE YOU SURE its off. I left my inverter on one time while boondocking and forgot to switch the refrigerator from auto to LP gas only. I was amazed how quickly my batteries drained down with the fridge using 120 volts from the inverter instead of LP.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

1. Always disconnect the NEGATIVE cable. That way, if you accidently short to ground with the wrench, nothing happens. On the positive side you could have hundreds of amps current.

2. Cheap an dirty test: Get fuses in 1, 3, 5, 7.5 and 10 amp sizes. You can borrow them from a fuse box in another vehicle rather than buying them.

3. Starting with the 10 amp, jump from the cable end to the battery post. If it does not blow in 10 seconds, you are drawing less than 10 amps. Repeat, using progressively smaller fuses. When one does blow, you know about what the current draw is.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
YC1

Your battery is bad.

Plug in to shoreline and measure the voltage across the positive and negative leads of the battery. Put the voltmeter in the DC voltage range.. If you get 13.5 or more and can charge it over night then see if it holds a charge. If just the refer or a couple of lights kills it in a couple of hours the battery is shot.

How old is the battery? Have you removed the terminals and other wires for a good cleaning?

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
1. Always disconnect the NEGATIVE cable. That way, if you accidently short to ground with the wrench, nothing happens. On the positive side you could have hundreds of amps current.

2. Cheap an dirty test: Get fuses in 1, 3, 5, 7.5 and 10 amp sizes. You can borrow them from a fuse box rather than buying them.

3. Starting with the 10 amp, jump from the cable end to the battery post. If it does not blow in 10 seconds, you are drawing less than 10 amps. Repeat, using progressively smaller fuses. When one does blow, you know about what the current draw is.
bluepill, Thats the neatest trick I've ever heard of. I'm no electrical wizard, but I can do alot of my own wiring and this sounds like an idea I will have to keep in mind for future testing purposes.

Thanks,
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
YC1

Sammie that is a clever idea.

Could even get fuses in the 1-5 amp ranges. Not the plastic ones but the old style glass fuses.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #12

One of the best things I bought is this dc amp clamp meter

Craftsman Digital Clamp-On Ammeter - Tools - Electricians Tools - Multi-Meters & Meters

It will measure dc amps and is a great price - I have found so many items that have a current drawer when I think everything is off.

Stephen
1999 Tradition
stephen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #13

Multimeter

THANKS for all of the responses! I will try to respond here.
Am I sure the inverter is off? I assume it is since i have no power to my tv, microwave, etc.
How old is the battery? less than one year. a dealer put a load test on it and said it was ok. I have taken the cables off and terminals are clean and tight.
I had Googled " how to test for battery drain". that is where they talked about hooking a multimeter between the Negative cable and the Negative terminal. then it discussed pulling one circuit breaker at a time until the meter "changes". that seems to make sense to my tiny brain but i don't know where the red and black probes of the multimeter should plug into the multimeter and what the "dial" should be set to....???
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I think that your battery is not holding a charge, when you replace your battery I would check on or get a solar panel to maintain batteries if you have available sun at least 7.2 hours a day.

Good luck, James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery