Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #1

Mystery Wheel Base, Ford E-350 Super Duty ?

OK I was just checking weights and measures on my 2021 E-350 DRW super duty chassis..

My GVWR is 12,500 lbs and the wheel base listed on door says it's 158 inch's..

However when I measure the wheelbase from center of axle's front and back it measures 170 inches.
[ checked 3 times ]

2021 E-350 specs says 158 or 176 wheelbase but mine is 170 inches ??

What is going on
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #2

I am so baffled by this I measured it again and its 170 inch's from center of rear axle to center of front axle..

No way can I be off 14 inches from what is listed on the door spec tag by Ford.. [158 inch's]

Maybe I will remove the wheel liners to get a more accurate but center is center and the wheel liners can't be off 14 inch's..

Somebody is wrong and my tape measure dose not lie..

Old 03-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #3

On my rig, I can get underneath easily as the ride height allows me to crawl under with no jacking. So I've looked at my frame and I can see that it's extended behind the rear axle and is not cut or welded welded anywhere in front. So get a flashlight and have a look at yours, see if it looks like it has been extended anywhere.
DonaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaC View Post
On my rig, I can get underneath easily as the ride height allows me to crawl under with no jacking. So I've looked at my frame and I can see that it's extended behind the rear axle and is not cut or welded welded anywhere in front. So get a flashlight and have a look at yours, see if it looks like it has been extended anywhere.
I will do this but I thought they were not aloud to extend the factory Ford chassis between the axles, only add extension in the rear..

Would have been easier to just buy the 176 inch chassis instead..
Old 03-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #5

Update :

I looked under the chassis in the middle and the chassis was stretched about 12.5 inches, there is a added frame and a extra metal all wrapped around that area for extra strength, even the driveshaft behind the transmission has a label that it was modified and the name MorRyide on the driveshaft, that explains the MorRyde sticker on the passenger door jamb.

[ I have been under this RV before but never noticed this till DonaC pointed this out, Thanks ]

I knew I wasn't losing my mind..

Still don't know why they didn't just order the 176 inch chassis and made it worked..

https://www.morryde.com/

CHASSIS
Our business rides on service, and in the MORryde chassis division, it starts with delivering a solid vehicle foundation. Partnering with manufacturers from five different states and a variety of industries, we’ve become a leader in chassis modifications, including wheel base alterations, chassis upfits, and component installation.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #6

jackreno,

It's good that you did your research and answered your own question. It is possible the outfitter started with a 176" wheel base and made it shorter to avoid the need to "add" base metal framing. Your chassis VIN will say what it started out as, information a Ford dealer could get for you.

Why the wheel base was adjusted, is likely related to the need of your specific floor plan.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
jackreno,

It's good that you did your research and answered your own question. It is possible the outfitter started with a 176" wheel base and made it shorter to avoid the need to "add" base metal framing. Your chassis VIN will say what it started out as, information a Ford dealer could get for you.

Why the wheel base was adjusted, is likely related to the need of your specific floor plan.
The Ford spec label on driver door jamb says 156 inch WB, so it started out shorter, I am thinking the 176 inch WB would have caused a problem with the black/gray water tank location cause of the axle further back and the floor plan as you said.

170 inch WB now.

Good news my wheelbase ratio to length is now 56.64..

Old 03-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #8

Ford makes the E 350 with a 138, 158 or 176" wheelbase.
The E 450 is made with 158 or 176" wheelbase.
Any wheelbase other than the above, are made by other companies modifying the Ford chassis.
Going by the vin number my class C with a 220" wheelbase, was built on a 158" wheelbase from Ford.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #9

I agree with the others. My Winnebago Outlook 29b has a wheelbase of 195", but it started life as a 158" WB so a 37" extension between the wheels plus the extended rails behind the rear axle.

All modifications to the Ford chassis MUST be done to Ford specs and then only by a Ford QVM Qualified Vehicle Modifier. I believe that Ford lists, or they used to. I know that Winnebago was one, I think that to there were some chassis only, possibly for some smaller manufacturers.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Good news my wheelbase ratio to length is now 56.64.
My 158" wheel base (284" rig length) is 55.63% ratio. It's surely not ideal but given the the impact in applying a longer wheel base into my particular rig, I accept that one deficiency.

Trade-offs, trade-offs, it's all about trade-offs.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:36 PM   #11

Quote:
My 158" wheel base (284" rig length) is 55.63% ratio. It's surely not ideal but given the the impact in applying a longer wheel base into my particular rig, I accept that one deficiency.

Trade-offs, trade-offs, it's all about trade-offs.
Above 55 ratio is good from what I here.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Above 55 ratio is good from what I hear.
So I am "on-the-edge".
Old 03-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #13

Quote:
So I am "on-the-edge".
Thinking about the physics and forces involved with regards to what "Rule-of-Thumb" to use as an estimate of the quality of Class C handling - I'd think that using the wheel base length to rig length ratio makes WAY LESS sense than using the weight-on-the-front-axle to weight-on-the-rear-axle ratio.

I may be mistaken ... but several times in the past I think you've hinted at using the front/rear weights ratio as the best overall estimate for good handling.
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Thinking about the physics and forces involved with regards to what "Rule-of-Thumb" to use as an estimate of the quality of Class C handling - I'd think that using the wheel base length to rig length ratio makes WAY LESS sense than using the weight-on-the-front-axle to weight-on-the-rear-axle ratio.

I may be mistaken ... but several times in the past I think you've hinted at using the front/rear weights ratio as the best overall estimate for good handling.
Yes there seems to be two different schools of thought. You surely make a good point. Just maybe axle-ratio applies unless there is a serious weight-ratio imbalance like I manage with. They can work hand-in-hand in many circumstances, but not a hard fast rule.

Tags
ford