Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #1

Need Help On Leaf Spring and Adding Height to Back of My E-350

I have a appointment at Skips Spring here in Vegas on 6-29 to add 1 inch lift to back of my BT Cruiser E-350 and a front end alignment.

I have 2 ways to lift the back 1 inch, he will either add a small block to add height or add a extra spring, I told him I don't want to add more stiffness to the back so I might go with just the block.

This is where I am not sure where to go, its a $125 more for the added spring vs just the block, should I go with the added spring so the current leaf springs will have more strength over a longer period or just the added block to raise 1 inch.

I had to add Sumo Springs when I bought my RV cause the back did sag and had sway, the Sumo Springs helped a lot, but would it be better long run to add a leaf for both height and strength or just the block..

I don't want to loose the soft ride I have in back now but the leaf spring pack is near max now.

My question is has anyone added a extra leaf and did the ride in back get stiffer ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #2

Just want to post this twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post

I don't want to loose the soft ride I have in back now but the leaf spring pack is near max now.
?

Spring or block ?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #3

I vote for "Blocks" for sure.

Per your statement, your rear axle load during trips is at the limit of the max rating. That is a sweet spot to be in. I would "NOT" add more load capability.

You already know what I did softening the ride of our E350 front suspension HERE which lowered the front by 1-1/4", which of coarse raised the rear by a fraction of that.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I vote for "Blocks" for sure.

Per your statement, your rear axle load during trips is at the limit of the max rating. That is a sweet spot to be in. I would "NOT" add more load capability.

You already know what I did softening the ride of our E350 front suspension HERE which lowered the front by 1-1/4", which of coarse raised the rear by a fraction of that.
Thanks, I got till 6-29 to make the choice, my front rides good and I like the height in front its just my back does drag a few times on semi steep driveways, I want the back raised a inch to help in that area and I think the RV might even drive better by shifting more weight forward ?

I like the low ride profile and want to keep that but just need a extra inch height in back and I think she will be perfect.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post

The weight behind the rear axle is reducing the weight on the front axle, acting like a teeter-totter.
.................................................. ..............................................

I copied this off your link and that is what my ride did before the Sumo Springs, In fact the Sumos are always smashed by 1/3 just sitting still and the front still rides to lite but better than before the Sumos.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I have a appointment at Skips Spring here in Vegas on 6-29 to add 1 inch lift to back of my BT Cruiser E-350 and a front end alignment.

I have 2 ways to lift the back 1 inch, he will either add a small block to add height or add a extra spring, I told him I don't want to add more stiffness to the back so I might go with just the block.

This is where I am not sure where to go, its a $125 more for the added spring vs just the block, should I go with the added spring so the current leaf springs will have more strength over a longer period or just the added block to raise 1 inch.

I had to add Sumo Springs when I bought my RV cause the back did sag and had sway, the Sumo Springs helped a lot, but would it be better long run to add a leaf for both height and strength or just the block..

My question is has anyone added a extra leaf and did the ride in back get stiffer ?
I have never done it on a truck to pull a 5th Wheel, but putting a block between the axel and the spring puts a lot more stress on the rear axel, the u bolts, and the spring bracket. The added distance works like a lever to twist the axel when you are accelerating or breaking.

I've put them in 4 wheel drive trucks to plow snow with, tow farm equipment, and gain clearance. Always breaks something. I would put an extra leaf in, Done correctly you won't notice any difference in ride. In fact it might be better. The more arch the spring has in it, the more travel it allows.

You want to add strength, not loose it. A spring will ad, a spacer block will weaken the springs ability to adjust and move.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:26 PM   #7

Need Help On Leaf Spring and Adding Height to Back of My E-350

Dont do either. Put air bags on it. Then you can adjust the height when towing and still keep your stock ride and height when not. I have them on my Excursion. I keep a small compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug at the back to air them up. Easy peasy and not that expensive.

Air shocks are another option.

Edit: I thought you were referencing an E350 van. A class C, I would add the blocks. Or pitch the sumo springs and add a leaf.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #8

Take it from someone that’s way over-sprung—you don’t want to be in that situation. An E350 cutaway chassis has spring packs that are almost perfectly flat. With the weight of the vehicle in it, they’re arched upward. So the additional 1” won’t put you in a situation for extra axle wrap like it does on a positively arched spring, in my opinion.

I’d definitely do the lift blocks or the air bags. I wouldn’t add spring rate.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
I have never done it on a truck to pull a 5th Wheel, but putting a block between the axel and the spring puts a lot more stress on the rear axel, the u bolts, and the spring bracket. The added distance works like a lever to twist the axel when you are accelerating or breaking.

I've put them in 4 wheel drive trucks to plow snow with, tow farm equipment, and gain clearance. Always breaks something. I would put an extra leaf in, Done correctly you won't notice any difference in ride. In fact it might be better. The more arch the spring has in it, the more travel it allows.

You want to add strength, not loose it. A spring will ad, a spacer block will weaken the springs ability to adjust and move.
Your reply is very interesting.

How tall were the blocks you installed on the vehicles that developed the problems you experienced?

I have seen 6" tall blocks on Wranglers and pickups driven around these parts, installed to clear over-sized tires. I imagined jackreno is planning to use short blocks of around 1.5" to 2" tall.

I had assumed adding short blocks would not introduce issues because I read now and then that RV manufactures will add a block to a low hanging rear corner to address an uneven load inherent of a particular floor plan. A common scenario is when the rig has two slide outs on one side and none on the other side.

I never considered that adding a leaf spring may soften the ride. My brain says otherwise, but you bring up a good point on "arching". I am surely no authority on this to say that my logic is correct.

I find this a fascinating topic.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #10

So the first question comes to mind is ,why is it sagging ?my guess weak spring ! Add a leaf or air bags ! blocks are temporary ! the weak spring will just get weaker !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #11

[QUOTE=jackreno;5803540 I

I think the RV might even drive better by shifting more weight forward ?

.[/QUOTE]

Gravity pushes straight down. Raising the rear of your chassis 1" isn't going to change that.

Use the blocks, not springs.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My E-350 already has 9 leaves in the rear. And rides hard. Do the block.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do not move weight forward. I had mine weighed and it was too heavy in the front with minimal stuff in the overhead.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replies..

I am still one the fence, I do like the idea of a extra leaf and removing the Sumo's if need to.

Before my Sumo's the RV in back swayed around like a water bed and sagged, after the Sumo's the sway was a lot less and raised the back about 1/2-3/4 inch but with the weight always on the Sumo's they have lost some height to them.

If I left this RV in stock mode without the Sumo's something would have to be done with the sag and sway.

The big problem with the design of this motorhome is the 42 gal fresh water tank is in the back behind the axle and gas tank off to one side as well as the 55 gal fuel tank behind the axle, a lot of weight sits on these E-350 springs and the low profile from the factory I have to be careful of every driveway I enter and exit..

The spring shop has not seen my RV yet just a photo on my phone, maybe I will have a good discussion with him when he see's my issue and see where we will go from there..

Tags
need help