Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #1

Need to upgrade to minimize sway...2013 Coachmen Concord 225LE

We just had a road trip of 5000 miles round-trip and realize that I am in major need of upgrades to the sway bars to minimize body roll and possibly even the shocks. Cause I want please provide me with that part numbers and place where I can purchase these? Preferably in California.
jzaldivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 07:29 PM   #2

Ford E350
Old 06-13-2021, 05:37 AM   #3

You got the right idea. Where to buy will depend on if you are installing them yourself, or having a shop install them. Most shops want to supply them.

I bought my heavy duty Bilstein shocks from Tire Rack. CLICK HERE for all the details which includes part numbers and pictures. Be mindful that our E350 is a 2007 model year. Verify that the same applies to your 2013.

You will want to upgrade to either Roadmaster or Helwig heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars.

You will also want to upgrade your steering stabilizer to a heavy duty version that "centers" the steering wheel. I like our Safe-T-Plus with one exception. It did not come with a life-time warranty. It might today, but didn't back in 2007.

When the front suspension is placed on jack stands, I turn to steering wheel all the way to the left or right, and the Safe-T-Plus turns the wheel back to center. This helps keep the rig straight on the open road and also in the event of a front tire blow-out.

The Ford E350 and E450 stock steering stabilizer keeps the steering wheel where you put it, though very weakly so.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #4

Any part numbers for the sway bars and possibly the stabilizer. I did update the stabilizer but it was just a Monroe brand that was available.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzaldivar View Post
Any part numbers for the sway bars and possibly the stabilizer.
Get the part numbers directly from the source rather than from someone like me who might make a mistake.

CLICK HERE for the Helwig website.

CLICK HERE for the Safe-T-Plus website.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:11 PM   #6

I was in the same boat as you after our 3500 trip. I ordered this: https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Stag...C-Handling-Kit

Edit: I should add that buying this kit is like getting the Safe-T-Steer for free.

The rear sway bar is still out of stock, so they took that dollar amount off. I ordered the Hellwig, but it still hasn't arrived.

I did get the front sway bar, Safe-T-Steer and the Koni shocks installed.

Holy cow, what a difference. A much smoother ride and I don't get blown all over in my lane. We've put on a couple of hundred miles since the upgrade and I'm still happy with the money spent. It's almost as nice to drive as my old 43' diesel pusher.

Here is the size difference of the front sway bar: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4711.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	332031
Old 06-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #7

Per your May post and this one: No, you're not asking too much. None of us are in our quests for safer and more pleasurable drive-ability from these vehicles. But the applicable solution(s) to your vehicle and subsequent results are unique to you and your vehicle.
Take Ron Dittmer's advice and gather as much specific and pertinent information as you can on your vehicle and consider how each relevant characteristic can and will affect others during the dynamics of traveling. In the past he has provided a wealth of sage advice on how you can visualize and/or feel the effects from inputs on the coach at different points. If you’re inside the coach and can feel it swaying and your significant other is just stepping onto the entry steps, you can well imagine what's going on at 60 mpg when 2-4 tons of weight is being tossed about over the rear axle and both the front and the rear are reacting to what they are going through from the closest tire/flex point plus inputs from what's happening at other points along the suspension, frame, and "home". It’s a wild dance
I have encountered businesses that won’t install owner provided materials and others that will. I prefer DIY and have done so on much of my upgrades but have contracted for labor only utilizing my parts when it was right to do so.

These were purchased for my E450 chassis but up to three years ago:
Hellwig HD Anti-sway bars, purchased through SDTruckSprings, shipped from Hellwig directly (near Santa Clarita, Ca I think)
KONI FSD Shock Absorbers, purchased through and shipped from ShockWareHouse,
SuperSteer TRAC Bar, purchased through and shipped from SuperSteer directly,
SUMOSPRINGS Solo and Maxim, purchased through Suspension Connection, shipped directly from SUMOSPRINGS in Carpenteria, Ca.

Watch your timing though as the explosion in RV purchases and use and pandemic affected supply chains have really put a squeeze on inventories. Don’t hesitate too long after you’ve decided exactly what you want.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:09 AM   #8

Thanks everyone!

Tags
coachmen, upgrade