Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2023, 03:08 PM   #1

New Class-C Owner, Introduction

Just wanted to stop in and say hello for the first time. My wife and I just bought our first RV over the weekend-- a 2008 Four Winds Dutchmen 31F on an E450 chassis. I've been lurking on this site for about the last 3 months reading, and reading, and reading. We finally found a coach that we liked and seems to be in relatively good condition for it's age. Chassis only has 22,000 miles and appears to be solid with no leaks or anything unusual.

I'm a long time Ford truck owner and enthusiast, so when we started our search for a Class C, it was imperative I found one with a Ford chassis. I would have LOVED to found one with a 6.0L Powerstroke, but apparently that's an anomaly in the RV world. I've owner two Super Duty's with V10's and always got along well, so this will be my third, and lowest mileage, V10. Currently have an F250 with the 6.7L Powerstroke and I'm already learning that I need to set my expectations for performance much lower.

I drove the RV about 4 hours home from the dealer we bought it from and it was definitely an eye opening experience for me. I'm familiar with HD pickups, towing heavily with gooseneck trailers and such-- but this is definitely a different experience for me.

I wanted to thank everyone on here who I've never interacted with before. This forum has already proven to be extremely helpful and it appears most users are more than happy to share their experiences and knowledge with others. As mentioned, I've already been taking advantage of the hospitality on here for a couple of months and it's truly appreciated. I'm certain I'll have plenty of questions moving forward as we learn and grow with this coach. I've already spent a great deal of time this morning researching Hellwig sway bars, alignments, etc.

Thank you all again and I look forward to many more future discussions!
Snodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #2

You are very welcome and glad to have you onboard. Good luck in your travels and stay safe.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:12 PM   #3
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Welcome to the group.

If big trucks pushed you around. First have the caster set as close to +5 as they can get it. Then consider other additions/changes.

Have fun out there.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:16 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome aboard!
Old 01-24-2023, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Welcome to the group.

If big trucks pushed you around. First have the caster set as close to +5 as they can get it. Then consider other additions/changes.

Have fun out there.
I was able to get a pretty good feel for this coach on the drive home from the dealer on my 4 hour trip, and the pushing around on the interstate was definitely a little alarming to me. I've always had 3/4 and 1 ton trucks but never experienced the sway I did with this coach (not that I'm entirely surprised, I was expecting it to an extent). Been reading about the caster adjustment. I do think this thing is due for an alignment. When running straight down the road it didn't seem to pull one way or another, but the steering wheel is cocked pretty hard to the right for some reason. We've got a very reputable tire shop locally that also works on semis and I believe they have an alignment rack for big trucks, so they will likely be on my list to call and I'll be sure and recommend the +5 adjustment.

Also studied quite a bit on the Helwig bars for the front and rear. I'm going to keep those in my back pocket for now. I'd like to put a few more miles on it before I start dumping a ton of money into those upgrades just yet. We bought this coach to pull our SxS for trail riding, so I'm going to see how it behaves with my 16' utility trailer and SxS behind first.

And speaking of trailers, much to my frustration I discovered on delivery that this coach only has a 4-pin trailer plug at the rear. I think* I found a thread discussing adding a 7-pin plug and trailer brake controller for my year model. I'm going to crawl around underneath this weekend and see if I can locate the factory harness along the frame rail that was discussed in that thread and keep my fingers crossed I don't have to run an entire harness and wire in a brake controller from scratch.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snodsy View Post
I was able to get a pretty good feel for this coach on the drive home from the dealer on my 4 hour trip, and the pushing around on the interstate was definitely a little alarming to me. I've always had 3/4 and 1 ton trucks but never experienced the sway I did with this coach (not that I'm entirely surprised, I was expecting it to an extent).
We just moved from a 38ft TH with a F250 to a 24ft Class C. Drove from SLC to Santa Cruz and I was very surprised by the effect the wind and passing semis had. With the TH we felt nothing but our new MH we sure did feel it.
KidzBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidzBox View Post
We just moved from a 38ft TH with a F250 to a 24ft Class C. Drove from SLC to Santa Cruz and I was very surprised by the effect the wind and passing semis had. With the TH we felt nothing but our new MH we sure did feel it.
Iím sure glad to hear itís not just me that experienced this same sensation. Iíve never had a 1-ton dually, only SRW trucksó but Iíve never felt that much push running down the interstate with loads.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:14 AM   #8

I have the Roadmaster sway bars front and rear. They helped a little controlling movement when a semi passes or I pass them. The bars really helped in the curves reducing the leaning a bunch. It almost feels like a sports car.😛 The ride didnít seem to change any, still rough in the rear.

Definitely get the caster set to 5į. I think the Ford spec is like from 2 to 6į and they come factory set at 2 or 3.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:25 PM   #9

Have a 32í Class C. Never drove one before I bought it 4 years ago, flew up to pick it up and drove back 12 hours (grabbed a few winks at a rest stop) for my baptism under fire. Rain, backups, congestion Ö put me thru the paces on my maiden voyage. Added the SafeTPlus stabilized and track bar. Feel the occasional push but able to steer with one hand now (can do but prefer 2 hands, of course).
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction