Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

New Class C Owner with a few questions

Hey all,
Picked up my first Class C on Sunday. Its a 1999 34' Dutchmen. It has 31,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition, with the exception of a few minor faults. Let me get straight to those.

First:
The Kwikee step does not retract.

I have removed and tested the motor. It works fine when applied to a 12VDC power source. I have lubed the entire unit. The courtesy light comes on...sometimes. When I close the door, I can hear the control unit clicking, but nothing happens. I know the door switch is supposed to be a N.O. contact, and I think it is open, but I cant be sure.

Second:
When I parked in the driveway, I checked the meter for the house battery, and it read 12+ VDC. After less than 18 hours, it was dead. I would simply assume that I need a new house battery.

Third:
Recommended oil.

I use full synthetic in all of my other vehicles. I would assume that is fine for this V10.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing any and all advice. Thanks.
Tucker6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

First, hope your new to you RV opens up some adventures for you.

Second Question. Certainly could be a bad battery, but it could also be something draining it over the course of 18 hours? Most auto places will test that battery as a free service.

Third Question. My '09 Ford E450 manual calls for 5-20W. And like you, I use full synthetic as do many with this Ford V10 engine.

And good luck with these issues. It's part of the RV experience ... use it, clean it, fix it. Then repeat as needed. And so it goes.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

If you have a test light or amp meter I would check for a draw on the house side before doing anything else. Pull one cable off the battery, insert either the amp meter or test light in series. If using a test light if it lights up you have a draw if amp meter read what it says. For the battery to go dead in 18 hours or so and if caused by a drain on the system this should show it.

Oil, I would use what your comfortable with just make sure it is the weight range called for by the manufacture.

I have no experience with the steps so no comment.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

As I have never (so far) exceeded 3,000 miles in a season I use Motorcraft 5W20 as suggested in my manual, Motorcraft oil filter and change my engine oil once a season just prior to putting it away for the winter. These products are generally available at WalMart for great prices compared to the Ford dealer.

Before condemning your battery(ies) I'd give it a good charge and see how long it holds it.

I have no experience with a step motor but there are basically 3 components, the On/Off switch, The automatic switch, and the motor. You have eliminated that motor. I assume you have checked to see if you have power to the switches which would lead one to think one of them is bad.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #5

I gave the battery a good 48 hour charge, left it set for a day, actually about 16 hours, and it was dead. I am purchasing a new one this weekend.

As far as the step goes, I think the controller is bad. The motor works fine, and after 2 cans of PB blaster, the steps are now free to swing as they wish.

Does anyone have a Kwikee Series 28 controller they would be willing to part with for much less than the price of a new one?
Tucker6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

Before you replace the battery do another experiment.

1. With the unit unplugged measure the battery voltage. Jot it down.

2. Plug in the unit and measure it again. Jot it down.

3. Toggle the storage switch and measure, and jot down.

4. Toggle the storage switch the other way and jot it down.

Now you have enough information to tell two things:

One is whether the converter is on the battery side or the house side of the disconnect relay (solenoid).

The other is which way to toggle the storage switch to disconnect the house loads.

18-24 hours may be reasonable depending on the battery size and the loads connected if the power is removed with the relay in the normal run position.

If you are planning on much dry camping take a good look at your battery mount. I do not know your unit but a lot of those chassis have a 2 battery long tray under the step. One battery is centered, two are mounted either side of center. You might be able to slip in two if you want to. Size matters more than voltage as in two six volt in series or two 12 V in parallel. The time to do it is when replacing whatever is there. Make sure you have a real deep cycle battery. It should not have a CCA rating.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

You only have a single house battery? Normally you would have 2.
Check step switch. Does step retracted when you start the engine?
Step is powered off chassis battery (normally).
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c