Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #1

New class C questions

Hello. I posted here questions about class B campers and wound up with an entry level C on a 450 chassis. I like the size and room but details underneath were a little lacking.
Two questions for today:
What do you do for spare tire? Mine has none but plenty of space underneath in back. Does the after market make spare tire carriers? Who makes a good one? Cable or slide out? Or do you even bother? (That all counts as one question)

Second question is about the front passenger seat. I would like to make it swivel, which seems to not be a problem, but what about being able to raise it when you turn it around to account for the the higher floor aft?

Thanks in advance. I like all the different opinions
JohnNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several companies that make spare tire carriers. Some bolt onto the bumper and others utilize the hitch receiver. Google spare tire carrier and you will find them. I will say that you will want to be in fairly good shape to change a tire due to the weight and high torque of the lug nuts. Personally we pay for a roadside service policy with Good Sam.

https://www.amazon.com/Spare-Tire-Ca...&node=15706921

As for being able to turn the front seats around on a class C I think you are out of luck.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #3

You can get a seat swivel... seat is a little higher to clear floor. Works for me.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #4

Add a cushion to sit on for the difference of the levels after you swivel around. Winnebago has them for sell at a steep price, but you could possibly make your own.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #5

New class C questions

I wouldn't worry about having a spare as most cases you won't be able to change a tire on your own especially the rear duals. Join a road side assistant company like coach-net or Good Sam. The beauty of these companies is they cover your cars/trucks as well. They only costs a little over $100 a year which is cheap compared to if you ever need to be towed. Our Coachmen Leprechaun has passenger front seat that swivels around and there is only a 2" rise to the living area. Hope this helps.
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
If you have a new E450 Ford you have 3 years of roadside assistance form Ford be sure to register at Ford. My Sunseeker had a spare chained up underneath, I moved it to the rear storage compartment. There are threads about buying an E450 spare tire crank off of Ebay but I prefer my spares to be inside or covered. While I cannot imagine driving with out a spare I do plan on calling roadside assistance if I do have a flat- not as young as I use to be- just like to be prepared
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 PM   #7

Roadside assistance may not have your size tire available at 9 am on a Sunday morning. It is best to have your own spare ready to install, even if you have them do it.

Charles
Old 08-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

My Leprechaun came with swivel chairs and spare tire from the factory. So, there is a way to make both possible.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #9

Wink You need a spare...

Don't let anyone convince you that a spare is not needed. Roadside insurance is a must but the level of response can vary greatly with your location and the ERS you have. Sitting in death zone aka the shoulder of a highway or interstate is to be avoided at all cost.

If my ERS {Coach Net}, ever responded that they could not come out for hours, which happens all too often I can { I carry all of the requisite tools}, and will change my tire and get out of the death zone. Then I would change companies.

You can easily end up paying hundreds of dollars for a spare, if your particular tire is even available out in tree stump Nebraska on a Sunday afternoon. As for mounting I had a custom spare tire mount welded under the rear of my E-350. You do NOT want a heavy spare mounted by any means on the rear bumper. they are not engineered to take that kind of weight. I tried it and the mount fractured leaving the spare hanging at a 45 degree angle. Fortunately I caught it in time to remove and replace with a proper mount.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
Capt Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:18 AM   #10

Carrying a spare tire is fine the problem is jacking the RV up and changing the tire and if it is a dually in most cases it isn't happening. Joining a assistant company like coach net or Good Sam it is pretty cheap insurance if you need roadside assistance. If you don't belong to one of these companies and you need a tow or assistance you are in for a big bill! They also cover your tow vehicle which we have used and they were pretty fast in coming.
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhal1949 View Post
Carrying a spare tire is fine the problem is jacking the RV up and changing the tire and if it is a dually in most cases it isn't happening. Joining a assistant company like coach net or Good Sam it is pretty cheap insurance if you need roadside assistance. If you don't belong to one of these companies and you need a tow or assistance you are in for a big bill! They also cover your tow vehicle which we have used and they were pretty fast in coming.
A 20ton bottle jack has absolutely no problem jacking up the rear of a MH, and changing a dually is not rocket science. Been there, done that.

My current class A has 19.5" wheels that are torqued to 450-500 ft lbs . The coach came with a spare and a lug wrench, but it (the lug wrench) only has about a 2' bar; no way could I break the lugs loose (or re-tighten) with that. So I added a 5' pipe to fit over that 2' bar. Now, at least I CAN change a flat if I have to.

I often camp in areas that the cell service is sketchy, at best, and sometimes non-existent. I also often camp quite a ways from pavement. I have waited for 4+ hours for AAA, and I have also been told that they won't come to where I'm at. Because of all that, I will never be on the road without a spare and the tools necessary to change it, regardless of whether I have roadside service or not.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

Carry a spare and a bottle jack. Also carry a Husky torque wrench from Home Depot. Best deal around for 250 ft lb click wrenches. That will work with a 3:1 torque multiplier for you big wheel folks. ;-)

If I had to I would change a flat. Given a choice I would call a road service but make sure I have the tools to put them back on at the correct torque. They should be re torqued after 50 miles give or take.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
My Leprechaun came with swivel chairs and spare tire from the factory. So, there is a way to make both possible.
My 260DS, which I picked up Monday, has both also.

Figuring out how to swivel the seats was a problem.

They don't give you a wrench to lower the spare. So I need to get one in.

Does the spare work on both inner and outer rear?

They don't give you a jack either. But I got the self-leveling jacks with it. Figured out you can crank up either end with the leveling jacks.

While here, does anyone know what the switch above the mirror adjustors on the F450, labeled only on/off, does? It doesn't affect the mirror control.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #14

We have a new (2017) E450 no mention of registration to enroll in the Coachnet 3 year program, just an ID card I carry with me. Our Minnie Winnie came with optional swivel seats. Fantastic.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c