Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #1

New Class C Recommedations For 6ft 8in Tall Person? Make? Model? Chev? Ford? Etc.

Hi, we are looking at purchasing a new Class C in the fall or early next year and I'm doing my web homework prior to going out and kicking tires. (We live in a rural area and when the time comes to go out shopping I'm trying to narrow the field down somewhat ahead of time).

I am 6ft 8in tall so I need to find something that I can drive comfortably and sleep in comfortably.

We're looking for a new Class C that is around 26-27 feet (shorter is better) and as few slides as possible. We will be towing a '94 Jeep Wrangler. Class A is not an option.

We have been looking online at many floorplans, but most have the short 74" "RV Queen" or a 80" queen that slides out, but with no room to add an extension at the foot.

As for the drivers' seat, I have been hearing on forums that Fords have less legroom and less comfort in the cab than the Chevy.

One model that we found is the Thor Four Winds 25v that has twin beds in the back but converts to a king. The same floorplan is available in the Chateau. Engine availability is Chevy 6.0L V8 or Ford 7.3L V8.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/fourw...loor-plans/25V

My questions for the forum are:

Is the new 7.3 Ford cab configuration more comfortable for a tall person than the previous V10 cab? More legroom and more "wiggle room"? I would sincerely like to hear an opinion from someone who has experience with both the V10 and also with the 7.3 to get an actual real life comparison. Or is the Chevy more roomy than the new Ford? I might sacrifice some power and towing oommph if that would be the case in exchange for more long distance comfort.

Regarding the 25V, does anyone have any thoughts on that model, and does anyone have any recommendations on an alternate make/model/floorplan that I would be able to stretch out and sleep in? The only thing on the wish list in that area is that the bed would have room for me to make an extension but still be able to make my way around it, even if it's only about a foot or so of clearance at the bottom end.

I'm retired, so we're going to try to find something that fits the best without having to sell the house and take out a zillion dollar loan to boot....

I would appreciate any and all advice, opinions, comments and suggestions.

Thanks very much in advance,

TheWatosh

PS, I should mention that we have had several TT's through the many years and currently we have a Jayflite 22FB that I extended the bed on. We love that trailer, but it looks like a Class C is going to be in our future so we can tow the Wrangler.
TheWatosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #2

If I was you I would be looking at a small class A, they have taller ceilings and more leg room for the driver and passenger, class C's tend to be more compact unless you get a Super C.

Class A's tend to have bigger beds, furniture and bathrooms and they also come in short lengths from 25 foot to 30 foot.

I sold a 33 foot Bounder with 2 slides that had tall ceilings and a king bed that would have worked for someone with your height but my new BT Cruiser class C/B+ would not work for you.

I have been RVing for over 20 years now and to save you money down the road you would be better with a short newer class A so you will feel more comfortable with your height.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #3

I have at least sat in all three types and I can report that there seems to be no difference between the leg room of the older V10 Fords and the newer ones with the V8. And the Chevy has more leg room. Study the design of any model that you are looking at and see if the travel of the seat is restricted by a dinette or a slide out that may be located behind the driver. Mine has limited leg room due to a dinette bench that blocks the last few inches of driver's seat adjustment to the rear.
DonaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #4

I agree, I would be looking at a smaller Class A if I were you. I'm only about five foot eight and in my E450 Class C I'm cramped in my shower, I'm cramped in the driver's seat, and I take up the entire short queen.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #5

The Thor Vegas class A motorhome is 26-27 foot long, in between a larger class A and a Class C.

Here is a link of 4 used ones and new ones for sale.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Thor-Motor-...m=25.2%7C37282
Old 06-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #6

Canít comment on driving position but can tell you what I did for the short bed. When the slide is out on mine (Renegade Verona...bigger than what you are looking at) I can walk by the foot of the bed. I screwed a piano hinge to the end of the bed and added a 10Ē piece of melamine shelf from Home Depot. When set up it folds up and I put a piece of foam on it the thickness of the mattress. The foam fits into the fitted sheet and you canít tell that the mattress is longer. Works for me. Fold down, stow the foam and the slide comes in....
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #7

Look at the space above your head in the units you try on. If you have excess space, you can raise the seat which increases perceived head room.

Not likely anyone makes spacers (like you can find for many jeeps) but appropriate bolts and washers, or drilled steel blocks, work fine and do not increase danger.

While I am just under 6í, I raised my seat a couple of inches. Our cab over bed has a large amount of clearance.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #8

If you are physically able to negotiate the ladder, the over the cab bunk is 96".
That's where I sleep in our Class C. Plenty of room. I love it.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:09 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and opinions.

Some of the comments have started us thinking about a class A, and we came across the Thor Axis / Vegas 24.1 which is very similar to the Class C we are looking at.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis/floor-plans/241

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with that version?

Thanks again,

TheWatosh
Old 06-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
If you are physically able to negotiate the ladder, the over the cab bunk is 96".
That's where I sleep in our Class C. Plenty of room. I love it.
If it weren't for the ladder, that would be the answer. Trouble is we have a Lance camper on our truck that we're putting up for sale due to the only bed being the overhang. Getting older is a bummer.....
Old 06-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
The Thor Vegas class A motorhome is 26-27 foot long, in between a larger class A and a Class C.

Here is a link of 4 used ones and new ones for sale.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Thor-Motor-...m=25.2%7C37282
Thanks, based on the helpful responses here we're now taking a closer look in that direction.

We can't do the full size Class A's due to the locations where we go, but the Axis / Vegas models don't seem to be any larger than a class C.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatosh View Post
Thanks, based on the helpful responses here we're now taking a closer look in that direction.

We can't do the full size Class A's due to the locations where we go, but the Axis / Vegas models don't seem to be any larger than a class C.

I think you would be more comfortable in a small class A over a class C long term.

I downsized from a 33 foot class A to a small class C/B+, I am 5 ft 11in and at times it can be tight and the shower wont work for anyone over 6ft 2in.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatosh View Post
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and opinions.

Some of the comments have started us thinking about a class A, and we came across the Thor Axis / Vegas 24.1 which is very similar to the Class C we are looking at.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis/floor-plans/241

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with that version?

Thanks again,

TheWatosh

Here is a link to the Thor owners group here on IRV2, this would be the best place to find info on the Thor Vegas..

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/
Old 07-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At 6'8" your going to not be happy in any Class C. Ceiling, shower and beds all will be WAY to small. Even the Class A by Thor may have a too short of bed and shower. You in a tough position.

I downsized from a Class A to a C a few years ago. Wanted smaller and less maintenance. Love the Class C. But truly not for everyone. Especially a tall drink of water.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, ford