Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #1

Arrow New Guy, Total Rookie with a Pipedream...

Hello everyone...

New guy here, first post, and I hope to learn a lot because my wife and me are getting closer to a plan that we first started daydreaming about 20 years ago.

I am 53 and she is 51 and our daughter, 17 years old, is on the cusp of heading off to college.
I am gainfully un(and under)employed, having been a stay at home dad for the past 17 years while my wife is a top-notch RN (30 years, huge experience in ICU, Burn Unit, Peds Oncology and PACU).

So onto why I am here, and hopefully not boring everyone so far!...

Our Plan:

Buy an RV (and really the only thing we know and are fairly certain about is size... Class C) and basically begin exploring areas of the States three months at a time as my wife would be taking on 3 month assignments as a travel nurse (and I will be trying to figure out what to be when I grow up ).

So...

since this is a huge plan in our lives, with more questions than I can even begin to guess at, can I just start small with this one...

Class C brands and Models, best warranties, highest owner satisfaction, and why you prefer what you prefer?
SCutshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you'll get much advice and suggestions.
Awesome news that the two of you are expanding on a dream and your daughter is spreading her wings.
That does indeed seem to be a popular nursing option. We've had several CG neighbors that were and are travel nurses. One just moved on the other day after a 3 month tour.
I have noticed though without exception they've all been using travel trailers, with a moderately stout tow vehicle to drive.
What are your thoughts for a TOAD and transportation at these tours of duty? Might help others with suggestions of RVs etc..
Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Thank you!

By TOAD do you mean a vehicle we would tow behind us? If so, we had discussed this and are considering trading my built up Jeep Wrangler for something more daily driver'ish like a Mini Cooper or VW Beetle... ultimately, yes, we would need a car tagging along with us but we really hope to keep our errands and local driving necessities to bicycles.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh you might be sorry getting rid of that jeep... tons of RVers & fulltimers LOVE our jeeps. There are thousands of miles of gorgeous forest & desert roads that ordinary cars don't do well on.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #5

The best advice someone gave to me when buying a motorhome is to find the floor plan you want and DON'T settle for anything less!

We love our class c 2013 Thor Citation 24SR. 3.0 liter Diesel. I chose diesel over gas as I am 6'5" and needed legroom in the cab.

You will see a lot of pros/cons on which engine to choose and it comes down to personal preference.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh for your toad, if you DO get rid of the jeep, many of us would advise you find a toad that can at least be towed 4-down. Ford Focus worked well for us for a long time.

HTH!
Old 08-03-2017, 02:06 AM   #7

Great replies, thank you all.

So any next steps my wife and I should be doing... floor plans, what else: dealer's, etc?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Oh you might be sorry getting rid of that jeep... tons of RVers & fulltimers LOVE our jeeps. There are thousands of miles of gorgeous forest & desert roads that ordinary cars don't do well on.
Well the purging of the Jeep isn't set in stone (nothing really is at this point) but my biggest concern about keeping my rig and towing it is...

it's on one tons and 40's.

So it's a lot of weight and wear & tear on tires that cost around $500.00 a pop.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCutshall View Post
Well the purging of the Jeep isn't set in stone (nothing really is at this point) but my biggest concern about keeping my rig and towing it is...

it's on one tons and 40's.

So it's a lot of weight and wear & tear on tires that cost around $500.00 a pop.
Well then I'll trade ya straight up for my 2012 Ford Focus already set up to tow :-).
Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCutshall View Post
Great replies, thank you all.

So any next steps my wife and I should be doing... floor plans, what else: dealer's, etc?

We just started looking at all types of MH to start with from private sellers to dealers. Once you start actually viewing and sitting in them you will find out what you like. Go to a dealer that has several different MH to look at. Doesn't mean you have to buy from them, but will give you a good clue on what floor plan is best. Then you can narrow your search and use websites to look specifically for what you like. RVTrader.com is a good one. The website will give you a good idea on what prices are for what you like. Then be PATIENT for the right MH for you! On a further note all dealers don't list on websites, so we always visited RV dealers just to look around and gain knowledge. We knew what we wanted and by sheer luck found our MH at a dealership in Des Moines after visiting the Iowa State Fair.

Happy hunting!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

We actually took a video camera with us when we were looking at "C's" back in 1997. We had to have some way to keep track of the ones we looked at and the features in each.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Well then I'll trade ya straight up for my 2012 Ford Focus already set up to tow :-).
Sounds fair!! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_134030.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	171599  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:54 AM   #13

You haven't filled out a lot of information that would help some. Where are you at now? That would help somebody steer you towards a dealer or dealers with a large selection to look thru. Somebody may also be able to steer you towards a RV show.
Second, I know travelers can commit to 3, 6, 9 or in some cases 12 months. How often are you going to move, or is she looking at maybe doing 3's and extending out meaning you aren't sure how long you are going to be hanging out? Where are you wanting to park? A state park type facility and moving occasionally to meet the time limits or something commercial for the entire time?
How far are you planning to move between contracts? Between staying put for 6 months at a time and a day or two drive between assignments may eliminate (or severely limit) the need for a toad attachment and give you more weight carrying capacity for the coach.
Don't go into this with tunnel vision for the class C. You may find a class A that you like, or even a 5th wheel and tow vehicle. When we started our journey, I was open to a class C, but leaning towards a 5'r. I already had bought a 3500 GMC with the intent towards a 5'r. We continued to look at 5'rs and had actually narrowed it down to a few trailers. Kelly was communicating with a local large dealer and the person she was communicating with basically said she was tired of Kelly and call when we decided and wanted to buy. One strike and they were out, but Kelly was also working with a dealership in Va. Then comes the "spring" RV show in Raleigh at the end of February. The coach that we have now was the third one we looked at and put the class C back into play. Later in the day, we found the 5'r toyhauler that we wanted except that the garage was too short for the Goldwing. The dealership was about 1 hr 15 mins away and the salesman said they had an exact twin to that one with a larger garage. They closed at 5 PM and it was between 3:15 and 3:30 and the salesman told us that if we went, that we would only have 15-20 minutes to look because it was Saturday and the weather sucked and the salesman at the lot would want to leave at 5 if not a little before. I don't know if he was afraid of losing his commission or that their desire to sell a 80K 5'r was in bad need of a testosterone implant, but when you have potential buyers willing to haul butt almost 90 miles and telling you that if the 5'r was as he described that it was sold I would think somebody could stay 15 minutes late, but oh he77 no. We immediately went back to the class C and that is what we bought. It is big enough that we are comfortable in it and I can tow either the Prius on a dolly or the Goldwing in a trailer.
Right now we are spending most our time in the coach in the driveway, but I couldn't imagine us full timing in a 32 foot coach even with the superslide. That is the biggest reason I worry about your full timing in a class C.

Good luck on your search and come back a few more times so we can continue to try to confuse you some more, and

Welcome to the BHS version of RVing.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #14

I didn't mean to kill the thread.....