Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2022, 05:39 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
New Member with questions on Class C

We started with a Keystone Cougar 5th wheel in 2007 that we retired in and traveled some. We got our house built in N Alabama and then sold our 5'er. After a few years, we bought a used T/T that just didn't work for us, so it got traded for a new F/R Cherokee T/T. It was good, but a bear to park with it being about 34' and driving a Silverado 2500HD crew cab. After a just a couple of years, traded back for another 5th wheel, a 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton. In the market to sell it now, because we have now bought a 2017 F/R Sun Seeker 3050S Class C.
Of course with any RV, there are issues to stay on top of before they become a monster. I have always kept the roof seals in good condition on all my RV's, that is the life of an RV to prevent leaks.
My fault, but I didn't catch 2 roof leaks that are proving to be a bigger issue than I anticipated. It has a fiberglass roof, but it appears the previous owner did very little preventive maintenance on this unit. The right front where the front cap meets the roof, is rotted out under the fiberglass for about 2' to the antenna mount. The screws for the cover of the antenna wire were solid rust and nothing underneath the cover to screw back into, rotted wood.

Then I am believing it's the rear window that has a leak, the wall has bubbles under the wall paper that have water in them. I saw moisture under the tail lights on the right, but just figured the silicone was leaking around the assembly itself, wrong again.

The vents on top had to all be replaced, the sun had done them in. Replaced the exhaust fan in the bathroom and kitchen, plus new house batteries and water pump. I got some money back from the seller for the batteries and water pump.

They had put moth balls inside to keep mice away, but I had no idea how hard it is to eliminate that horrid odor!

Replaced the mattress (not to keen on sleeping on someone else's mattress) and the foam above the cab-over, no way to get the odor out of the foam.

I'm doing all the work myself, but it's getting frustrating to keep finding more issues.

This RV only had 19k miles on it, but now I'm believing the only shade it ever saw was from under a shade tree.

Oh yeah, it has that Dura-Shield on the front cap and on the front of the E450 hood and fenders. That's the most awful protection I've ever had the dis-pleasure to come across. Took me almost 2 days to get it off the front of the E450, and not looking forward to doing the front cap. It has so much mold under that clear film! Lots of videos on how to remove it, but elbow grease is the removing apparatus.
If anyone out there can give me some ideas about getting the walls apart to repair the water damage, I sure would appreciate the info.
My wife is so hurt and upset about the condition this RV is in and how the previous owner mislead us.

I have always stood behind my word, and I live that way, trusting others to be the same. But sad to say, there are lots of dishonesty out there in the world today.
TomsBusyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2022, 05:58 AM   #2
chs

Cannot stress enough how important it is to (pay for) an inspection before buying a used (or new) RV. Yeah it's not cheap but whatever I'm problems are found will give you reasons to drop the price.

That is also exactly why I just got finished applying 4 inch eternabond tape. Over the caulking between the roof and the front and rear cap so I will never have those issues. Nice and clean look. Looks clean and should never have any leaks.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:30 AM   #3

we did the same, taped all roof seams and put a bead of DICOR all around the permitter of the tape..on our 2019 class c. had a disaster on our previous tt, never again.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #5

for the smells in the rv, try using an Ozone generator inside of it.
It can usually get rid of most any smells without any extra fragrances that things like Frabreeze leave behind $70 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Enerzen-Comme...8400976&sr=8-3
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:44 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ozone Generator

We purchased one right after we took possession of the RV. We still had a strong moth ball smell in the bathroom, then we found another bag stuck behind the toilet. We couldn't see it, but my wife was wiping down everything again, floors and walls, when she felt the bag.
I've got all the wet wall panel wood out, now running a dehumidifier and a fan.
I'm more upset with myself for not checking the rig out better. We've had 4 other RV's, so I knew better, but that's hind sight.
I've always been honest with folks my whole life, has it cost me, yes. But my nature just won't allow me to hide something or tell a lie.
Headed to a repair shop and a dealer this morning to see about ordering the luan with the wall paper pattern we need.

I've built 3 houses for myself and parents from the ground up, doing most all the work, including plumbing, electric and trim. So this job is not so bad, but aggravating to have to do it right off the bat.
This is our first motor home, and we are looking forward to getting back out on the road.
Sometimes the bump in the road bottoms out the shocks, but it's now behind you, so keep on going!
Old 03-29-2022, 03:26 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very difficult to advise how to get things apart sight unseen. You've got enough building experience, just that and solve one problem at a time.

about 7 years ago I bought a 1967 TT that I knew had significant rot in it. There were reasons for buying it. It was a typical aluminum skinned trailer with wood frame. In the end I removed 100% of the back four feet down to bare aluminum skin. Then rebuilt it from the inside. Project came out looking real good and still going strong. Heck it still has it's original working refrigerator/freezer among other stuff. Got new seals made for the refer doors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:18 AM   #8

I feel your pain. We bought a 2005 Class C that looked great on the lot with low miles and clean inside. Little by little over the past few months I found indications of water damage here and there. The most damage was around the roof skylight over the shower. Later I found a warped kitchen countertop and a few window issues. Our rig has an EPDM (rubber) roof and like yours was not maintained so lesson learned. Best advice I can offer is check out youtube videos for water damage repairs to get some idea of how to proceed. I found them very helpful and managed to find all the leaks and the causes. Now almost five months later we're almost ready to "go camping." With fuel at $5.70 a gal we've opted to visit our driveway for our first weekend outing.
Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:55 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Work in progress still going

We're still working on the moth ball smell. It's 99% better, but still has a lingering odor. The wife has cleaned everything inside, curtains are gone, bed mattresses gone and anything that might hold a smell. Bought an ozone generator, which has helped some, but the charcoal briquets seemed to cancel out the odor even more. I have the windows out over the cab, plus the large one in the rear and have fans blowing to draw more air through.

Got the roof mostly done, just waiting on 3 new sky lights before I can seal up the rest of the edges.

I'm just thankful we have a large closed barn that we keep our RV in, making all these repairs much easier out of the weather.
I will start taking the back inside wall out today from where the large rear window has leaked since new it appears. The upper right corner was pushed out about a 1/4" allowing water to leak inside. All the screws were tight inside and the inside frame was flush with the wall, so it most probably came from the factory in this condition. At least the windows have been easier to tint while laying flat on a table, LOL!!
Any suggestions on a micro/convection oven. I'm going to replace the Furrion since the front plastic trim piece has been partially melted from the burners just below. It a standard size, 29.9" inches wide and 15" deep by 15-1/2" tall.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:01 AM   #10

we have cats that use litter box in basement, several containers of 50/50 mix of vinegarand water seems to help with litter box odor in basement.consider wiping down walls and etc with a mild solution like Murphy's oil soap. test and area first to be sure it doesn't compromise the wall covering...good luck. previous generation used moth balls in everything...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, new member