Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #1

New or slightly used Class C

Since I've been on this forum I've pretty well made my intentions be known to purchase a new or nearly new Class C 26 feet or smaller with no slides. Have been researching whatever I can to bring me up to speed. I would simply like to know what quality Class C's there are that are heads and tails above the rest for experienced employees, top manufacturing processes, and quality components. Winnebago, Chinook, and Lazydays come to mind but I really haven't anywhere the amount of knowledge that some of you people have to make that determination.

Thanks,

Old Guy Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastorm View Post
Since I've been on this forum I've pretty well made my intentions be known to purchase a new or nearly new Class C 26 feet or smaller with no slides. Have been researching whatever I can to bring me up to speed. I would simply like to know what quality Class C's there are that are heads and tails above the rest for experienced employees, top manufacturing processes, and quality components. Winnebago, Chinook, and Lazydays come to mind but I really haven't anywhere the amount of knowledge that some of you people have to make that determination.

Thanks,

Old Guy Dave

Welcome! Tough to find one that's really as high-quality as you describe. But our Winnebago 25B has treated us very well. It's about as simple as a person can find. It's likely nowhere near the reputation of a Chinook or a Lazydaze, though. Winnebago has a big advantage over many others on its documentation. Everything else is a compromise, though--I love the no-slides thing, but absolutely curse the flat roof. It handles tongue weight better than most would, but the tanks are very small. Everything will be a give and take.

The simplicity is very freeing, though. We've found a few design things that are very frustrating--like most class C's, the bumper is too small to actually fit a sewer hose (at least, one with 2 connections on it). The tiny tankage makes you want to scream if you like boondocking. The exposed drains mean you're exposed to freezing. And the massive trunk is great. But if you actually use the door catch for the huge trunk door, it will pull out of the fiberglass. Otherwise, the strength of this unit is in what it doesn't rely on. It's a heavy frame with a light body. It will outrun most other motorhomes. You won't have any concerns with the drivetrain, the slide motors, the multiplex switches, the windows fogging, the aqua-hot, and so on and so on. The roof won't peel. Whatever small amount of space you have when camping is exactly what you have underway.

Anyway, I'm sure there are others like this. If you're not completely set on the no-slides thing, the Thor Axis stuff is probably worth looking at. Possibly a step down in quality, but you do get more utility, less wind noise, etc.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

Lazy Daze?

Just so you know, Laze Daze now has a two-year wait list and will not add anyone to the list until sometime next year. But there have been a few newer that 2015 that have come on the market and then sold in a day or two. So at my age I probably won't ever be able to purchase a new one again when I decide to upgrade.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:

Thanks,

Old Guy Dave

Coach House
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Coach House

I would imagine they would be well made at their prices. Just a little above my pay grade though. Also, don't think they make a Class C.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Also, don't think they make a Class C.
Sure they do https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/platinum/
Old 12-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #7

All of Coach House's models except the Arriva are Class C. They're all RV company bodies on a cutaway chassis. The Arriva is built inside a Sprinter van, so is a Class B.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #8

Cool Works for us...

Our 2012 24' Nexus has been trouble free for 66,000 miles and 7+ years. We have never had any issues with slide{s}, levelers or electric steps as we have never had any of these {and have never needed, much less missed them}. They are a small company and there are not that many out there on the used market. A word of caution, the earlier models were better built with more quality control than the some of the later models.

At a full 101" wide with 7' of headroom throughout the coach it is surprisingly roomy and we love our floorpan {hence the lack of any need/desire for a slide}. We have the rear corner queen with an innerspring mattress that is as comfortable as our bed at home, not everyone can deal with this layout but for us it is perfect. The dinette comfortably seats four adults. The cabover bunk is larger than a standard queen but rarely sees duty as anything but convenient storage or as a nice TV lounge.

The coach is built on the venerable Ford E-350 chassis with the V -10 and the 5 speed TorqueShift transmission, a bullet proof combo if there ever was one and came with the 55 gallon fuel tank. I often tow a 10' {8' tall} cargo trailer loaded to 2,600# without any issues though it does cost me about 1 mpg from the average non towing mileage of 9.5.

We have quality components through this feature rich coach; 35,000 BTU furnace, tank warmers, remote controlled heated mirrors, electric awning, power drivers seat, 3 burner stove with a conventional oven and a separate {huge} microwave, 6.5 cubic foot frig freezer and a large pantry. The interior is solid hand {Amish} crafted Maple.

We love the simplicity all the while being surrounded with quality features. At 24' we can go just about anywhere {grocery getting, site seeing or just exploring} and will fit in any available site {when not towing}.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
Just so you know, Laze Daze now has a two-year wait list and will not add anyone to the list until sometime next year. But there have been a few newer that 2015 that have come on the market and then sold in a day or two. So at my age I probably won't ever be able to purchase a new one again when I decide to upgrade.

Good to know, I assume you've talked to them recently....I was curious about this.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #10

I would check out dealers in places like MN and WI now while the season is dormant. Maybe you get lucky and find something new or used. I have had a Lazy Daze and now Winnebago, both good companies in my opinion.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks,
Old Guy Dave
Hi Dave,

Click on the picture below to watch a narrated slide show created in 2007 on how a Phoenix Cruiser is constructed. The same practices are in-place today.
Back in 2007 we paid $67,200 for our Phoenix Cruiser 2350 SEEN HERE that we special-ordered without a slide-out. The prices for PCs of any model in recent years has sky-rocketed, but if you are open to a used one, they can still be affordable. The problem with "used" is there are so few without the optional slide-out (s). You'd likely have to special order a new one to go slide-less like we did.

Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #12

My RV is 26 years old so I do on occasion think about upgrading. Then I read a bit and decide to keep putting money in my old Toyota until it falls apart like in a cartoon.

If I were to upgrade I would want something 1-2 years old with 20,000 miles on it, so all the kinks are hopefully worked out.

My opinion and worth what you are paying for it.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
Our 2012 24' Nexus has been trouble free for 66,000 miles and 7+ years. We have never had any issues with slide{s}, levelers or electric steps as we have never had any of these {and have never needed, much less missed them}. They are a small company and there are not that many out there on the used market. A word of caution, the earlier models were better built with more quality control than the some of the later models.

At a full 101" wide with 7' of headroom throughout the coach it is surprisingly roomy and we love our floorpan {hence the lack of any need/desire for a slide}. We have the rear corner queen with an innerspring mattress that is as comfortable as our bed at home, not everyone can deal with this layout but for us it is perfect. The dinette comfortably seats four adults. The cabover bunk is larger than a standard queen but rarely sees duty as anything but convenient storage or as a nice TV lounge.

The coach is built on the venerable Ford E-350 chassis with the V -10 and the 5 speed TorqueShift transmission, a bullet proof combo if there ever was one and came with the 55 gallon fuel tank. I often tow a 10' {8' tall} cargo trailer loaded to 2,600# without any issues though it does cost me about 1 mpg from the average non towing mileage of 9.5.

We have quality components through this feature rich coach; 35,000 BTU furnace, tank warmers, remote controlled heated mirrors, electric awning, power drivers seat, 3 burner stove with a conventional oven and a separate {huge} microwave, 6.5 cubic foot frig freezer and a large pantry. The interior is solid hand {Amish} crafted Maple.

We love the simplicity all the while being surrounded with quality features. At 24' we can go just about anywhere {grocery getting, site seeing or just exploring} and will fit in any available site {when not towing}.

Perfect synopsis. I also don't think I'm in favor of slide outs as I would imagine they may be more trouble than they're worth. Also there is just my wife and myself. That being said most of the Class Cs seem to have at least one slide out. Difficult to find any that have no slide outs, especially new units.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #14

I would vouch for the Winnebago Minnie 25B. I did own a 2015. It was a very solid unit both in build and ford 350. Never a problem. Not with appliances, heating/cooling or plumbing. Wife is disabled and could no longer negotiate the corner bed, both in our 70's. Longest trip we made in it was a month around Utah, and Grand Canyon, Albuquerque.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, light