Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

new owner questions galore

After a couple of years researching, we bought a 2014 Coachmen Freelander Class C in August. So, this wasn't an impulsive purchase, but we definitely weren't prepared for all the issues that have come up as new RV owners. Thankfully, we've taken her on 3 trips before our 90 day warranty expired. Unfortunately, each trip has revealed a new problem. We are to blame for our ignorance about all the things that can go wrong with a new RV, but there are just some things that we feel we should have been forewarned about. We were given a walk through by our salesman, but now we realize we should have been offered a mini course in rving or at least a video demonstration. We were without refrigeration on our first trip because the silver fins (don't know their name) were not working and the door latch was also broken. This took several weeks to repair because the part had to be ordered from Indiana and the service department in general, is always backed up with repairs (mmmm...is that a clue?) It seems that the time involved in ordering parts should be deducted from the 90 day expiration date of the warranty. I felt that we should have had a new refrigerator installed, as my husband pointed out that in his business of building and selling houses, he would never sell a home that was not completely functional, including the appliances in it.

The second trip uncovered a few annoying little things that were easily fixed, but still required a trip to the dealer and several days without our motor home. A light over the fridge never worked, but is not covered in the warranty, so we paid for it. (yes, only $20, but still something that should have been working as a new unit).

Preparing for our third excursion in very cold weather, we knew we had to be assured our heat would function throughout the freezing nights, so we ran it off the generator for 30 minute practices before we left. 30 minutes because that's the longest the heat and lights would stay on before fading and dying out. We learned from this site that we must have a bad battery. Now she is back at the dealership (1 1/2 hr. round trip + gas each time) resolving a problem we never should have had with a new unit.

Speaking of warranties, we lose 1,500 miles off our warranty for the truck because of the driving distance getting it from the east to the west. We did not special order, we bought it off the lot. Is this standard practice?

My question to you veterans before our 90 day house warranty expires:
What other things should we be sure to check out that are classic problems that a new owner should be aware of? The clock is ticking; thanks for your help.
knitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

First, check your warranty. You said you bought it new. I am 99.99% certain it's a 1 year and not 3 month house warranty. I have a Sunseeker which is also FR. The house warranty on it is 1 year. I would be shocked if yours is only 3 months.

Anyhow, confirm that first. And by that I mean check your paperwork from Coachman, a brochure, their website, etc. if the dealer is telling you 90 days, there's a likewise 99.99% chance he's a moron and you need someone with a brain.

Then put it through its paces over a season. And you'll have a complete list of fixes.

The Ford bumper to bumper is 3 / 36 (assuming it's a Ford). The tranny is longer. 1500 miles is nothing.

I would also push back on the fridge light. It is only $20 and you might want to save pushing for a more serious issue. But a light going out on trip #2 is not normal wear and tear.

Good luck and keep us posted.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my coachmen Freelander new in 2010.
Other than a cracked circuit board that controlled the slide out, I had no issues with it.

As previously posted reconfirm your warranty period. As for Ford's warranty I would ask them about the pre delivery mileage if it's counted or not.
Hopefully you are soon pass these issues and will have years of mile making memories.
Enjoy the RV life.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

I was the poster 2 up. I got home & checked online because I was curious. Here's a direct copy / paste from the online Coachmen brochure. It's exactly as I thought.

WARRANTY
• Motorhome - 12 Month/ 12,000 mile
limited warranty
• Ford Chassis - 36 month/ 36,000 mile
bumper-to-bumper warranty
• Ford Powertrain - 60 month/ 60,000 mile
warranty
• Chevy Chassis - 36 month/ 36,000 mile
bumper-to-bumper warranty
• Chevy Powertrain - 60 month/ 100,000 mile

warranty

If you truly don't know the warranty period on the multi thousand dollar toy you just bought, with all due respect, do a little research. I am not trying to be rude, honestly. I am really trying to offer some real world advice. Because I fear you are going to get taken to the cleaners.

However, if your dealer is feeding you this 90 days junk, do the following in this order:

1) Grab a service guy. Drag them over to the rack where they have the brochures. Show them the warranty on the back cover. Ask them to explain why they say 90 days when it's really 1 year.
2) Tell them to reimburse you the $20 for the lightbulb. It's not that it isn't covered. It's that they didn't want to make a call to get it approved.
3) Tell them to shove it.
4) Go find a real dealer. Call Coachmen. Tell them the line of BS this dealer is feeding to you. Have them help you find another dealer if needed.
5) Find every online review site you can & put up a review about how bad they are (so, hopefully, at least a few other customers decide not to deal with these incompetent, lazy, leeches).
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Never heard or was given a 90 day warranty. New Motor home, was always 12 months on coach and 36 months on the Chassis. On a used 30 days from the dealer.

YES.... CALL COACHMAN
How do I contact Coachmen RV Company for Customer Service?

PHONE:

1-800-453-6064

MAIL:

Coachmen RV Company
P. O. Box 30
Middlebury, Indiana 46540
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. It's all good information to take with us when we have a face to face with the manager, salesman, and service super tomorrow. By the way, I didn't mention that the truck is a Chevy (our third, as we own a Tahoe and a Silverado as well). We'll be researching the Coachmen warranty; we just didn't think to question the timeframe we were given. Again, thanks for your help. We'll post an update.
knitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #7

Did you walk on top of the roof to check for crack, etc? The roof should have been wash real good before taking it. Sometime these unit just sit at the dealer and the roof not taking care of.

Call the Coachman let them know what going on with the unit. I just brought a Fleetwood Jamboree and was getting the run around. I called Fleetwood and they got on top of it. Contact them on the web and finish on the phone. Fleetwood rep was great.

I do have 1 year warranty. Usually 30 days warranty is for used RV.

Once again check THE ROOF REAL GOOD. Check with Camping world they do free roof inspection

Check inside each closet or storage space.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

Check your sales paperwork, it should show the date of delivery and the mileage of the vehicle when delivered. The truck warranty normally starts on that date and milage.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

Your owner mileage should start from when you picked it up. No matter how many delivery miles are on it. If not your dealer is shafting you.
Would also look see if there are any other unhappy people who dealt with this dealer. This would give you an idea what type of dealership you are working with.

Spend a night in there parking lot and make sure everything works.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

Your title will state the mileage delivered as a new vehicle. The warranty will start from that mileage.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #11

We found tons of issues as well with our Four Winds RV with a dealership 2 hrs away it was difficult to get them dealt with. As well we had a major leak just at the end of our 1st year, Drove to Indiana to have it repaired which was a 6 hr drive for us. They had to replace 2 walls and the roof, did not replace the last wall, 3 years later we have had more water damage which Thor informed us was owners maintenance issues. We had checked the roof 2 x a year every year without noticing any issues, the leak originated from a side channel and Thor informed us we were on our own. We are now the proud new owners of a Jayco product with a fiberglass single piece cab and a different style roof. We have found this is a much superior product and the after sales service is fantastic!!!! Good luck, I will never own a Thor product again!!!! We as well had a number of issues with our thermostat and actually had it replaced twice and even since then we had gremlins in our unit. I am just glad it is gone!!!
kbarzsa is offline   Reply With Quote