Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #57

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68westfalia View Post
I own a 2004 Tioga 29v and the pictures you have posted, the layout is exactly the same as my rv. The table turns into a single bed, sofa pulls out to double bed. My cabinets and material are not the same but the cabinet and floor plan are identical. Mine has the ford v10. It is just me and my wife and a 2yo and we love the layout. We actually had to look hard to find this floor plan as we did not want a slide out.
Yep that is a good floor plan at least I think soo.. Just hope I picked out a good one!1
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #58

Just my humble opinion...

I suggest walking & not running into this.

You are now getting some additional nuggets of information that you should pause & consider:

- Sold at auction. One dealer told me they unload their problem trades at auction so as to get them off their lot quickly or if they have a unit that just won't sell for whatever reason.

- Leak. According to the owner it just started. However you & others seem to think it might have been there longer based on the pictures.

- You keep mentioning that it's real cheap. Yet, they can't find a buyer for it locally. Good used class C's go real quick almost regardless of price. If it's real cheap & a good one it would have been sold a long time ago.

Yes, repairs can be done. But always more expensive than you think. And a lot of hassle. I really think it's smart to just sit down & think this one through.

Again, just my humble opinion.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #59

I had a 90 Ford C 28 feet. Problem: when it got hot the unit had a vaporlock somewhere around the engine. Every mechanic I spoke to had a different Idea what the problem was. Engine coil,ignition module, fuel pump etc. No work. I finally got rid of this headache at an auction. Remember only when the weather got hot. I wish you well with your purchase.
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #60

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
I had a 90 Ford C 28 feet. Problem: when it got hot the unit had a vaporlock somewhere around the engine. Every mechanic I spoke to had a different Idea what the problem was. Engine coil,ignition module, fuel pump etc. No work. I finally got rid of this headache at an auction. Remember only when the weather got hot. I wish you well with your purchase.
Well I figure if it was a dud they bought it in 1998 they would of unloaded it a lot sooner then keeping it till 2012? JMO.

I nabbed it when it was first put onto the market they thought they only advertised locally on the internet a friend put up the ad for them. I talked them down by $3,000.00. I can buy one north of me for 1,000 more and I told them so.

Again I have a son that is able to fix mehanical issues a family member cousin that can fix body and leak issues. Figure I did a good job for the floor plan.

I see on here people have newer RVs an pay a lot more and there are issues. I figure if these people kept it that long it is a good one. JMO..
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #61

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Don't get me wrong I really appreciate all the information that has been given to me.
Please don't hesitate to give me information etc that is what I need. I need to learn. I have never owned an RV. Am praying to the RV gods that this is a good pick for me and my family. I figure for the first RV I didn't want to buy a dud that I would have to sink a ton into to enjoy it. Didn't want to buy a new one and find out that oh I don't like this either?? KWIM?? However at the price of these new ones now-a-days I don't know if I could afford a brand new one either??? They are expensive.

I have one more MH I am looking into but what scares me on it is it is a 1990 it has 20,0000 miles but the people have owned it for 2 years and after putting a new roof on and a ton of other things they are ready to get rid of it??? That worries me. I can get it for the same price of the RV but it worries me they have only owned it for 2 years. IDK?? And it is 34' long and I don't think I will enjoy driving the MH like I will the RV??? We will mainly stay close to home with our RV we won't be taking 2 week excursions. More like a week if I am lucky at a time. Unfortunately I would love to be able to take a 2 week vacation not happening at this time in our life.

Sooo hopin I picked a good one out for us and I take off from airport as a new RV owner. The downside would be a flight ticket back home.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #62

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Well I feel so much better. I was getting cold feet. I emailed owner she emailed back said everything works all is good. I will have to get a new canopy soon but the arm is new just the canopy is loose. So I feel good. But I did reserve my enterprise rent a car just in case. One never knows.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #63

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
can't wait to see this bad boy...

sealing the roof is a pain, but you only have to re-do it every 2-3yrs. I'm in the process of doing ours, it hasn't been done in some time, so the caulking is starting to crack and get hard and brittle. I got a plastic caulk-remover tool, makes easy work of it. Only problem is I have almost 37ft to do....so I'm basically doing a bungalow haha
Our Dutch Star manual says to check the sealant every 6 months which is good advice IMHO!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #64

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
IDK?? And it is 34' long and I don't think I will enjoy driving the MH like I will the RV???
A MH (Motor Home) is a Recreational Vehicle (RV) too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Fancy, I hope you understand that we are not trying to discourage you. We all know the pitfalls of RV ownership and know that there are lots of things to look out for. However the same can be said for BRAND NEW RVs!

We all hope your purchase is great and that you love it. I'm excited for you and I can't wait to hear how it turns out!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
Fancy, I hope you understand that we are not trying to discourage you......

We all hope your purchase is great and that you love it. I'm excited for you and I can't wait to hear how it turns out!
x2 I was glad you (Fancy) posted pics and that a few things were noticed. What I noticed was no exterior photos - which you may have and didn't share. The other day there were 2 similar units for sale online and the exterior on 1 was pretty banged up. I've been tied to the iPhone so I couldn't really get too much detail but glad others were able to "inspect".

Fingers x'd for you!!
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #67

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Fancy, I hope you understand that we are not trying to discourage you. We all know the pitfalls of RV ownership and know that there are lots of things to look out for. However the same can be said for BRAND NEW RVs!

Sarah

Thank You for the words of encouragement! But we all need to be aware of the ups and downs..
I believe I have made a good purchase not happy with the leak that is now there but it doesn't kill the deal. Just a pain to fix. I just pray we don't get heavy rain till I get home.
I do however feel better with the conversation I had with the seller about how everything works etc... Made me feel better. The leak was a real let down. But understandable with Hurricane Sandy and her winds soo hopefully it will stay dry until we get her home.

I am very excited about being a first time RV owner!!

8 more days...Boy time is dragging...
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #68

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
x2 I was glad you (Fancy) posted pics and that a few things were noticed. What I noticed was no exterior photos - which you may have and didn't share. The other day there were 2 similar units for sale online and the exterior on 1 was pretty banged up. I've been tied to the iPhone so I couldn't really get too much detail but glad others were able to "inspect".

Fingers x'd for you!!
Steve and Annie
For the exterior all I could find was one pic so I don't know what I did with those. It looked ok on the outside no rust or dings etc...All the wheels etc...
I saw one on line it was horrid looking too.
Like I said if I get there and there is anything not as she said well I will walk away without an RV. A little upset but hey I will also have a rental so not totally all is lost. Thanks to all on here that have given me what to look for. Now if I crawl up on the roof not if when I do that is there any signs up there I need to be aware of?? Obviously the interior look for leakage but anything on top?

As stated the seller states fantastic shape I have voiced to seller that when we get to airport and look over vehicle if all is as stated then we will pay and hit the road. All is in great shape and everything works! Sooo I wouldn't think anyone would be soo stupid as to not disclose there is existing damage. KWIM??? Why waste someones time like that?? I know my husbands cousin looked at quite a few for me up north and they were all water damaged and hiding previous water leaks and asking double what I am paying. Or hopefully paying. I am soo excited and really being hopeful that there is still honest nice people in this world....

Glad you have those fingers crossed for me Lord knows I need it!!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #69

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fancy, keep your positive outlook.

If it is in great shape then be happy. If it ends up needing some surgery, it sounds like you have folks to help you handle it - be happy.

You are going into this with both eyes wide open which is 100% better than some poor folks who have posted tales of new-owner woes and who have no possible way to deal with the problems they've purchased.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Fancy--some people's idea of "fantastic shape" does not always jive with mine. Just look it over carefully, take a test drive, make sure all the systems work (a/c, stove, etc.), and check the tire dates/tread. Good luck and I really hope this works out for you.

Tags
purchase