Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

New Rv Owner with questions

Hi! We just purchased a RV! When we are in the RV there is alot of movement. We have automatic jacks, but not an automatic stabalizer. We put a level on the kitchen counter and got the bubble in the middle. The back seems lower thou. Help!!! We bought an RV to live in while we rebuild our house that burned down. So we are living on our property. Any advice would be helpful.
StacyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
You need to be level front to back and side to side. Stabilizers work to reduce the rocking feel and I would think for a longer term use, as opposed to just a night or 2, you would want to get some.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

I think I may have asked my question wrong. We have stabilizers. 4 post that come out from under the RV, I believe that's what they are. It does not have an automatic leveling system. So is there something additional we can add to make it so everytime someone moves we don't feel it in the whole rv? I feel really dumb, for not asking questions at delivery! We have had it for 3 days and it's been a nightmare!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Are you putting pressure on all 4 stabalizers? Are they autamatic or hand cranked? Are they on a trailor? Sorry, I just read where they are not auto. Usually level is the fridge tray. Even if it is not level, and the stabalizers are down solid it should be solid.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
You need all 4 jacks on the ground carrying weight to reduce the bounce in the coach. Of course the result is that your coach is level as well.
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #6

^ what these guys are saying. To get the "bounce" out of your RV when walking around, you'll need to take some the weight off of all 4 wheels. This isn't to say that your wheels need to be up in the air or anything crazy, but merely that some of the load be taken off the RV's suspension, which is the cause for the bounciness (after all, springs bounce). With my own RV, I had small stabilizer jacks on each corner that cracked up manually. After I'm level with each stabilizer jack in place, I then crank them all up by maybe 4-5 turns. Not all stab-jacks are created equal, so after a few turns, get in the RV and see if it seems firmer. Play around with it, you'll figure it out.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #7

They are all 4 on the ground. And if someone moves in bed everyone feels it. I am beginning to rethink living in this thing for a year! Is there anything else we can do?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460
Are you putting pressure on all 4 stabalizers? Are they autamatic or hand cranked? Are they on a trailor? Sorry, I just read where they are not auto. Usually level is the fridge tray. Even if it is not level, and the stabalizers are down solid it should be solid.
Yes all 4 are down. They are automatic but don't have a self leveling feature.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
First of all, welcome to the forum and RVing. You will find that you will get a lot of info from this and other forums, but you need to tell us some specific info.
What kind of RV do you have? Year, make, model, etc. I'm assuming it is a Class C. I believe what you have are levelers, not stabilizers, since you say they are automatic. I assume you push buttons to extend the jacks.
An RV is not the same as a house built on full foundation. The RV is on a steel frame and is subject to some flex. If all 4 jacks are on the ground, and the MH is level, your set. I have owned 7 RVs, and they all have had some slight bounce when set up. Once the weight on the suspension has been reduced, the frame will still flex some.
Be very careful that you DO NOT raise the rear wheels too far since the parking brake requires the rear wheels to be on the ground.
Let us know what RV you have and you will get much better answers.

Dave
darealmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealmccoy
First of all, welcome to the forum and RVing. You will find that you will get a lot of info from this and other forums, but you need to tell us some specific info.
What kind of RV do you have? Year, make, model, etc. I'm assuming it is a Class C. I believe what you have are levelers, not stabilizers, since you say they are automatic. I assume you push buttons to extend the jacks.
An RV is not the same as a house built on full foundation. The RV is on a steel frame and is subject to some flex. If all 4 jacks are on the ground, and the MH is level, your set. I have owned 7 RVs, and they all have had some slight bounce when set up. Once the weight on the suspension has been reduced, the frame will still flex some.
Be very careful that you DO NOT raise the rear wheels too far since the parking brake requires the rear wheels to be on the ground.
Let us know what RV you have and you will get much better answers.

Dave
Sorry! I entered it in my profile. It's a gulf stream Yellowstone super C 34 ft long 2008. My tired are on the ground. I will try adjusting the jacks today and see if that helps. This site is great! I am so lost on this whole RV thing!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Stacy and welcome. Sorry you're having difficulty with the RV! From my experience, the RV movement is very annoying at first...but after a time you do get used to it! Your RV will never feel as solid as a house on a foundation. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
The way I can tell if my jacks have taken enough weight off the suspension is by how much it rocks when somebody leaves the coach. If you can barely feel any movement, then I've got it set up correctly. If the coach rocks, I adjust the jacks to take more weight off the suspension.
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #13

Be sure to block the wheels before you go raising the motorhome too much. Parking park requires contact with the ground to hold the vehicle in place. Now lets try to place some blocks of wood or something flat & square (ish) to increase your abilitity to raise the motorhome somewhat. If you have a cheap set and (they are out there) of stabilizers or corner jacks it's possible that they aren't capable of doing what you expect them to do. Might need to add some wooded blocks, or concrete blocks at each corner to stabilze your home while you rebuilg. Sorry about your fire but hang in there you'll be fine.....
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I have an auto leveling system on my coach and it is nice but if someone in the front of the RV moves and I am in the back at night we can feel it. You can reduce the bounce by taking pressure off the axles but you wont take the vibration out of the coach.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote