Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

New RVer Water Pressure/Pump Questions

I have just purchased a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24' Class C motorhome.
There are 2 things related to the water pressure/pump and fresh water tank I don't understand. When connected to City water everything seems fine.
1. When the fresh water tank is full the pump runs fine and we have good pressure on both hot and cold lines, However when the tank gets under 2/3 full the pressure drops and the fauset spirits and spits.
I don't understand why this happens when the tank still has plenty of water?

2. There is a water tube connected to the bottom of the tank which connects to a vacuum device, on top of that there is a shutoff valve and what looks like an overflow tube.
When I fill the tank the "overflow tube"(not sure if it is an overflow tube) lets water out into the area of the RV where the tank is stored. The tube is only about as tall as the 2/3s mark on the tank so when the tank is over 2/3s full the water runs out. This seems crazy as the water runs out the bottom of the RV and the wooden floor gets wet.

Questions:
1. Is the vacuum device faulty because it lets water out up through the tube past the shut off valve?
2. Is there a tube missing from "overflow" which should be connected to the upright tube shown in the picture?
3. Or is the "overflow" tube too short? I don't think a longer tube would solve the first issue?

Attached are a couple of pictures to show what I am trying to describe.
Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterPumpIssue.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	252397  
robthowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

The vacuum device is your pump suction filter

Check it for debris

The tall tube is most likely your winterizing inlet

Couldn't get the photo large enough on my phone
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:55 AM   #3

Robert-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

As "lwmcguire" mentioned, the connection at the top is likely the winterization inlet. Your coach's owner's manual should discuss this. The "vacuum device" is the pump strainer, as mentioned.

For now, go to the hardware store and buy a 1/2-inch (NPT = National Pipe Thread) plug and insert it in that connector. This assumes the connector has a washer inside it (if not, the plug will not seal correctly).

It looks as if the tank's overflow is actually on the far left corner of the top of the tank.

It probably would help if you called Thor and spoke with their tech support folks- in case something was not assembled correctly on your coach.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #4

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
The vacuum device is your pump suction filter

Check it for debris

The tall tube is most likely your winterizing inlet

Couldn't get the photo large enough on my phone
Found a little debri in there but still have the same problem.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. There was a tiny bit of debri in the filter, cleaned it but still have the issue.
As far as the winterization tube is concerned; I have turned off the valve just below it and the pump runs continuously. Does the pump need to draw air into the tube for the pump to function properly?
I will get with Thor as it does seem like something is missing or just not right. When I fill the tank water comes out of the winterization tube and runs into the compartment, which I am sure will cause problems but the pressure is good and the pump seems good until the water level gets a little above half a tank. It has me confused.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
The winterization line should have a screw in cap (plug)at the black fitting, to close it off when not in use. Normal water flow is from the tank to the pump thru that valve. With the winterization line open to the air water escapes , when the tank is above the top of the pipe- or air is drawn in while tank level is below the pipe.
To winterize -the pink RV antifreeze is connected to that pipe (at the black fitting) the valve is closed and antifreeze is then pumped thru the system.

With that valve closed your pump runs continuously because it is drawing air thru the black fitting and not water from the tank.
Hope this helps.
Your overflow and fresh water drain lines should run thru the floor and empty outside/below the RV
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure