RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

Question New Super C Purchase

Helllo

This is my first post and I am looking for some honest advice. I have narrowed down my choices to a Jayco Seneca and Nexus Wraith for my first RV purchase. Both serve my needs for pulling a fully loaded race trailer and has plenty of room for sleeping as long as we get the overhead bunk. Those of you with experience in this arena I'd loke your advice on which is better and why also if i have overlooked a better brand/model.

Thanks

D.
Dwood2594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwood2594 View Post
Helllo

This is my first post and I am looking for some honest advice. I have narrowed down my choices to a Jayco Seneca and Nexus Wraith for my first RV purchase. Both serve my needs for pulling a fully loaded race trailer and has plenty of room for sleeping as long as we get the overhead bunk. Those of you with experience in this arena I'd loke your advice on which is better and why also if i have overlooked a better brand/model.

Thanks

D.
D - caught me on line. I have a 2018 Ghost 36DS which is a little bit bigger version of the Wraith. I originally wanted a Seneca but the GVW was 33,000#. Even though I have a Ckass A license, my wife did not want to go throught the testing and licensing. Foound out about the Ghost at 26,000# and ended up with it. Will also pull 20,000# but I only got the 10,000# hitch. Pulls our fullsize Expedition no problem.

We have bunk beds and the overhead bunk. Will sleep our family of 7 with one on the dinnette bunk. In all fairness, last year I did sleep in a tent with my dog for a few nights - funny how that happens.

We're pretty happy with the Ghost. Not sure about the Wraith. I would rank the Seneca a little higher - just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #3

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I would like to find the model with the bunk beds as well.

Thanks again.
Dwood2594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #4

Looks like you can get bunks in the Wraith and the Ghost The Seneca has floorplans with bunks. There are also some other Super Cs with bunks built on the smaller Ford and Dodge chassis. Not sure about GVW and GCVW.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Foound out about the Ghost at 26,000# and ended up with it. Will also pull 20,000# but I only got the 10,000# hitch. Pulls our fullsize Expedition no problem.
Hate to tell you but if you hook anything to your 26,000 GVWR motor home you need more license because it pushes you over the 26k threshold.... Only need a B for your situation because the Expy is under 10,000 lbs GVWR. If your towed load was 10k or more GVWR you'd need an A
Old 10-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwood2594 View Post
Helllo

Thanks

D.
Be aware of what licensing you will need with an SC towing a large trailer. Being Race Cars it could also put you into a commercial category requiring a CDL
Old 10-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #7

It's a personal, private use RV, not a commercial business, does not need any license. I drive a super C and tow a 28' race car trailer all over and have never gone on a scale or been stopped anywhere and I drive about 20,000 miles a year. My coach gvwr is 19,500 and gvwr is 26,000. I weigh in just under 26,000 total. My son drives a 40' pusher and tows a 34' 2 car trailer, his coach is rated for 33,000 gvwr, and he is just under that total and he's never been stopped or questioned.
Here in NY, we register our rv as personal use and both of us actually have regular passenger plates on our coaches.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #8

Just a few comments. As far as the license goes it all depends upon what state you are in. As to the commercial status I've met very few racers that aren't losing money on their operation unless they're in the upper echelons of Indycar or NASCAR, and I know more than a couple.

As far as the coaches go I was making the same decision. Here's my thinking. The Wraith claims a 10,000 lb hitch but if you look at the stickers it says 7,500 weight carrying and 12,000 weight distributed, as least that's the pictures I've seen. I forget what the Seneca comes with but it's comparable as I recall, but watch your GCWR on both of them. As to construction the Wraith uses steel square tubing and the Seneca uses aluminum. The Wraith has a completely composite wall and the Seneca has some luan. The Wraith's basement is made from steel with square corners and the Seneca'a is rotomolded plastic of some type with rounded corners which probably loses you 10-15% of your storage space because very few things have rounded bottoms. The Wraith has marine OSB floors the Seneca does not. I have been to both factories and I was happy with the construction I saw on both I think only one missed staple in both factories. I chose the Wraith mainly because of the marine grade floor, it will be wet at some point, and the steel basement compartments, they can be repaired. I haven't bought the coach yet, but the house is sold, I'm moving into one of my apartments this month and I'll be buying between now and March, just waiting for the winter deals. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
It's a personal, private use RV, not a commercial business, does not need any license.
States have been starting to treat it differently for several years. They are taking the stance that any competition that has a potential to have a award of any value can be seen as a for profit commercial operation. They started this with the Rodeo guys here and it has continued into the racers and tractor pullers as well.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Hate to tell you but if you hook anything to your 26,000 GVWR motor home you need more license because it pushes you over the 26k threshold.... Only need a B for your situation because the Expy is under 10,000 lbs GVWR. If your towed load was 10k or more GVWR you'd need an A
Not so in my state. You can tow up to 9,999# (and maybe 10,000#) before needing more than a Class C license as long as the tow vehicle is less than 26,001# GVW.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #11

Hi Dwood and welcome to the forum, a group of good folks willing to help. One point of caution however... When you say;
"This is my first post and I am looking for some honest advice."
That's really pushing the envelope right there. We work on the simple principle "If we don't know the answer we'll just make stuff up".

With that said, with the research I've done over the last number of months. Both Jayco and Nexus make a good coach. If all else is equal as far as floorpan is concerned etc I'd probably go with the Jayco. Many more dealers for service and have an excellent reputation.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 10-06-2020, 08:16 PM   #12

This board on iRV2 might be a better one to ask specifically about a Super C. It's where the majority of discussions of them happen. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f18/
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Not so in my state. You can tow up to 9,999# (and maybe 10,000#) before needing more than a Class C license as long as the tow vehicle is less than 26,001# GVW.
I think you need to re-read the requirements in your state. Class C limits you to "any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26001 lbs"

When you hook any trailer to that 26k MH you become a combination vehicle and have crossed the threshold limit of a Class C license and require an elevated license of some sort.

If you can keep the GCWR of your motorhome and trailer/tow'd combination under 26k then a Class C will cover you.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #14

Your are correct. Good thing I have a Class A as an old truck driver (gave up the CDL portion).

When we head to South Dakota in 2 weeks, my friend will be able to drive my Ghost since we won't need to pulll the car.

Tags
purchase