Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #1

New Tires, now Shaky RV

We just picked our RV up from shop with a trip scheduled for Sunday. We got all new tires oil changes done ect.
On way home husband said RV was shaking bad at 50-55 and he didn't wanna get above that.
I have call in to shop but they were closing as we left so I will contact them first thing in morning.
Any ideas what might be the issue?
Avic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #2

Tires need to be checked for TWO things:

Run out and balance.

Start with run out. Said another way, you can balance an oval shaped tire, but it will NOT run smoothly. Any tire shop should have a run out gauge.

Takes less than 5 minutes to jack it up and check for run out. If over .35", FIX IT. May rotate tires on rim, rim may not be centered on studs, etc.

Then balance the tires.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

WHEEL LEFT LOOSE !

Do not drive the RV until the lug nuts have been checked for torque !
Old 03-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
WHEEL LEFT LOOSE !

Do not drive the RV until the lug nuts have been checked for torque !
I agree.

If the tires are properly balanced, then the lugs just might be loose. That is surely easy enough to check. If loose, tighten them, even if not to the proper torque spec.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #5

If the lug nuts are tight than ask the tire shop did they balance the tires or use the dry powder balance bags they throw in the tire.

I am not a fan of the balance bean bags, a good balance machine shows if the tire/rim is out of balance and needs reinstalled or a bad tire from the factory..

Never let a lazy shop sale the balance bean bags, always use a shop that balance the tires by machine and weights..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you tell them to balance all the tires when they installed them?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #7

So I rode with husband and we drove RV back toward shop then back home. Shop is about 6 miles away so not far. Driving east no shaking, so we turn around at shop and drive back... Shaky. Moved to the left hand lane not as shaky. Decided the west bound rode is in worse shape and apparently shakes the RV more. We are going to drive it around. A bit more tomorrow to make sure. Storm was coming in so we didn't want to stay out after dark.

[emoji16] We are new and maybe over nervous
Old 03-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #8

BTW Shop is being excellent and called me back after hours and my husband discussed our experience on test drive. They said that area of the road is bad and said to bring it in in the morning and they will double check everything.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avic77 View Post
BTW Shop is being excellent and called me back after hours and my husband discussed our experience on test drive. They said that area of the road is bad and said to bring it in in the morning and they will double check everything.
Sounds like you have a pretty good tire shop!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avic77 View Post
For liability reasons they have to recheck any new tires they put on when a customer complains, they don't want to be sued if they refuse to look at the tires and it causes a accident..

Do make sure they balanced the tires with a good balance machine and not just throw in the balance bean bags..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:36 AM   #11

My new tire story, bought an old Toyota that needed a bit of work. Had new tires put on a couple miles from house. On the drive home thought I was going to jar my teeth loose, they inflated the tires to the max on sidewalls. Referred to as riding on bowling balls.

Did not drive it at highway speed for several months and when I did vibrated bad. Took it to another shop that does on vehicle balancing and tire shaving. Tech comes in waiting room with big hand full of weights and asks where I had tires balanced. I told him and he stated that they had no idea what they were doing. Hmmm tire store, modern machines??

I knew they were the weights from my RV as I had painted the rims and the weights had paint on them.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires