Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #1
chs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Crossville
Posts: 229
New Window Installation

Has anyone cut out a NEW hole and installed a NEW window.
I have the 28Z, Class C and it does not have a rear window.
Wanting to install one like this. 12 high X 42 wide.
Rear dimensions behind bed are 30 high X 60 wide, so plenty of room.
I looked at a few of the Thor Class C floor plans and some come with a rear window (much larger also) I would think that the rear framing is the same for consistency in construction. One that would allow a rear window or not.
I emailed Thor to hopefully get a construction blueprint of the rear wall.
Any input would be helpful.
__________________
2019 Thor Chateau 28Z (2018 E-450 Chassis) W/ V10. Bigfoot Levelers
4 Wheel tow a 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat W/ Blue Ox Base Plate and Stay-IN-Play DUO Brake system.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 3,927
You might live near an RV salvage yard where you could go and find an older Class C with a window you could salvage. I've seen lots of out of the way junk yards with lots of RVs sitting there rusting away in my travels over 17 years of full timing.

Here's a link to a list of salvage yards...but as I said, sometimes junk yards have RVs too. Outside of small towns in the mid west is a great place to search.

Opps, just read your post again. You stressed NEW window. Yeah, have no experience with adding one. In my Class A Bounder, it came with a rear window and it always poured cold air on my head when in bed during cold spells, though sometimes that was refreshing. The Winnebago I have now, has a wide gap (9" or so) between the rear bedroom wall and the rear end cap for central air ducting so wouldn't work in mine.

Soon as I saw your question though I thought, hey, why not a color camera hooked up to a 35" LCD TV on the bedroom wall? Hey, yeah, that would be cool.

I know, not what you're looking for.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
chs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Crossville
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
You might live near an RV salvage yard where you could go and find an older Class C with a window you could salvage. I've seen lots of out of the way junk yards with lots of RVs sitting there rusting away in my travels over 17 years of full timing.

Here's a link to a list of salvage yards...but as I said, sometimes junk yards have RVs too. Outside of small towns in the mid west is a great place to search.

Opps, just read your post again. You stressed NEW window. Yeah, have no experience with adding one. In my Class A Bounder, it came with a rear window and it always poured cold air on my head when in bed during cold spells, though sometimes that was refreshing. The Winnebago I have now, has a wide gap (9" or so) between the rear bedroom wall and the rear end cap for central air ducting so wouldn't work in mine.

Soon as I saw your question though I thought, hey, why not a color camera hooked up to a 35" LCD TV on the bedroom wall? Hey, yeah, that would be cool.

I know, not what you're looking for.
I do not like not having a rear window. Among other reasons, If I pull over on a highway, it freaks me out not being able to see behind me.
They sent me this blueprint today. Now I just need to find out the wall thickness.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear wall Construction.pdf (123.7 KB, 5 views)
__________________
2019 Thor Chateau 28Z (2018 E-450 Chassis) W/ V10. Bigfoot Levelers
4 Wheel tow a 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat W/ Blue Ox Base Plate and Stay-IN-Play DUO Brake system.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs View Post
I do not like not having a rear window. Among other reasons, If I pull over on a highway, it freaks me out not being able to see behind me.
They sent me this blueprint today. Now I just need to find out the wall thickness.
I can understand that. I have the rear view camera that works better in the dark than my eyes do so I'm happy with that.

I'd guess your wall thickness at between 1.5" and 2.0" depending on the weatherization pack you have. You can pull an outlet and measure it too.

Nice of them to frame it in for you. Looks like the window is an option so they might still have some in stock. But they'd be very spendy, you can be sure of that. What I do is find the manufacturers replacement price, then with their own p/n, search the internet for a replacement. Often it'll pop up at half their price, sometimes someone is parting out a similar rig. Also good to have their p/n to check with salvage yards.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #5
chs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Crossville
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I can understand that. I have the rear view camera that works better in the dark than my eyes do so I'm happy with that.

I'd guess your wall thickness at between 1.5" and 2.0" depending on the weatherization pack you have. You can pull an outlet and measure it too.

Nice of them to frame it in for you. Looks like the window is an option so they might still have some in stock. But they'd be very spendy, you can be sure of that. What I do is find the manufacturers replacement price, then with their own p/n, search the internet for a replacement. Often it'll pop up at half their price, sometimes someone is parting out a similar rig. Also good to have their p/n to check with salvage yards.
The actual window I am installing is much smaller that the opening they have.
Mine will be 42 wide X 12 high. It should be no problem since the wall is packed with hard board styrofoam. The window compresses between the inside and out.
The reason it cannot be larger is due to the back wall having cabinets above the bed and closets on the sides of the bed. Also we want it above the Pillow area. The actual dimensions are 30 high (bed to cabinet) X 61 wide (closet to closet)
I'm guessing they use the same rear construction plan for all units, whether a window is installed or not.

Also I used a micrometer to measure the wall going through the basement opening in the rear and it measures 1-1/2 inches. Thor said it is (estimated) to be 2-1/4 inches
__________________
2019 Thor Chateau 28Z (2018 E-450 Chassis) W/ V10. Bigfoot Levelers
4 Wheel tow a 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat W/ Blue Ox Base Plate and Stay-IN-Play DUO Brake system.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 20,548
Blog Entries: 21
My concern would be structural integrity of the wall after cutting in your hole. Then yo have the issue if ant wiring or such that was run in the wall.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
tap4154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,241
I think that's a great idea. A window that size would work well above my bed backboard. I've also thought about putting two 12-inch portholes instead of a window. That would leave the back wall more structurally sound, and maybe cause less of a draft.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #8
chs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Crossville
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My concern would be structural integrity of the wall after cutting in your hole. Then yo have the issue if ant wiring or such that was run in the wall.

Ken
The wall already has a square structural frame just over the size of the window which should take away any structural issues. It would not effect the surrounding wall beyond that area.
__________________
2019 Thor Chateau 28Z (2018 E-450 Chassis) W/ V10. Bigfoot Levelers
4 Wheel tow a 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat W/ Blue Ox Base Plate and Stay-IN-Play DUO Brake system.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
install, installation, wind, window



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Window Installation '06 Fleetwood Discovery Mike R Fleetwood Owner's Forum 3 05-06-2019 04:42 PM
Slide window awning installation adj MH-General Discussions & Problems 4 01-31-2006 04:29 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.