Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #1

Newbee to RV

Hello, We are considering purchasing a 2003 Coachman Santara with 45000 miles on it as we are new to rv, never camped in anything but a tent. What should we be looking for or avoiding in a used RV. Thank you for any help...
bobster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would say the number 1 thing to look for and avoid with a used RV is water damage. Look for swelling of any wood surfaces, discoloration on any ceilings, wallpaper, and upholstery. If it smells funny, it is probably due to water damage and internal rotting somewhere. After that it is just basic maintenance and making sure all the systems work.

Hope this helps.
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Possibly consider having a RVIA certified tech check the coach and a qualified mechanic check the chassis. May cost a few bucks but it will give you a good idea of the problems on that specific coach. Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #5

We are newbies and purchased a 2007 FR sunseeker w 10,0000 miles. Definitely recommend a warranty, but shop around for it. Even though Good Sams pd 900 of a 10000 fuel pump repair, I lost my religion w them.
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #6

That should say 10,000 miles and a $1,000 fuel pump charge
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

Look closely at the tires also. The tread may look good but look to see if the sidewalls have cracks. If they are cracked they need to be replaced. You may be able to negotiate on price
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water damage is #1. Roof condition is a biggie. Maintenance records are a great thing to have.

Check the date code on the tires. Adjust your money offer accordingly.

The suggestion to have an inspection done us a good one. Make the deal, tender a deposit with final purchase contingent on satisfactory inspection results. If inspection reveals issues have the seller fix, renegotiate the purchase price, or get your deposit back and walk away.

I am usually not a fan of warranties, however A warranty purchase can be a good mitigation against unseen or latent issues when buying a used coach. Keep the cost lower with a high deductible and handle the small stuff yourself. After one year and having gained experience with the condition of the coach reevaluate if to continue with the warranty.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #9

As someone who paid dearly for not getting a pre purchase inspection by a certified tech, I implore you to do so. If it falls through, then rent a few models to get an idea of what you want in a coach. If you love what you found and it masses muster, then buy it, enjoy it and never look back. Good luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster62 View Post
Hello, We are considering purchasing a 2003 Coachman Santara with 45000 miles on it as we are new to rv, never camped in anything but a tent. What should we be looking for or avoiding in a used RV. Thank you for any help...
I am not a fan of buying used automotive equipment for a number of reasons. Before I would buy a used RV I'd want it thoroughly inspected by a competent RV technician (they can be certified or simply have long experience). There are some extensive pre-purchase check lists available on the web.

If you do buy, make sure that you can afford to lose the money you are spending on the RV and that it won't impact you if you lose it all.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Old 08-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlady View Post
I would say the number 1 thing to look for and avoid with a used RV is water damage. Look for swelling of any wood surfaces, discoloration on any ceilings, wallpaper, and upholstery. If it smells funny, it is probably due to water damage and internal rotting somewhere. After that it is just basic maintenance and making sure all the systems work.

Hope this helps.
all these are excellent points another place to look is the exterior skin - look for any bubbles or what looks like pockets in the exterior skin this means delamination of the the skin which also means moisture between the substructure and outside skin.

another place to look which some will not agree is rental units, our current 2012 Thor Freedom Elite was a camping world rental - book value (loan) was 75,000 we paid 44.000 and am happy with it, had a couple of areas that were worn (dinette cushions and a small tear on the swivel seat behind the passenger seat) was well maintained and remember that they make money by keeping them on the road our unit had 44,000 miles we have over 60,000 miles now without a problem mechanical problem and the interior besides what was mentioned was in excellent condition
Click image for larger version

Name:	mar2014 778.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	71520.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #13

Better to start with a used one. Then you learn your way around and find out what you really want.

I've known lots of friends that bought brand new RVs for well over $100,000 and traded them a year later and again another year or two after that.

My used starter motorhome cost less than the sales tax on a new one. I can afford to lose that. And if you buy new, you lose it the first day. --Plus another 20%.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #14

When I bought my first motorhome a few years ago, I googled what to look for. I found several helpful lists and used them. Having said that, I would recommend taking it to a shop or taking along an experienced friend. There is just so much to understand it is hard to get a thorough look with just a checklist. Best wishes!
Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote