Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #1

Hello to all. On friday evening my wife and i purchase a 1988 coachman catalina. I have a general idea of how things worked but i still need help. None of my electrical outlets work nor will the ac work. But when i switch on the lights they come right on so i dont know y the sockets dont work. I flip the main breaker off then back on but still no luck. I turn the lp gas switch on and i hear hissing and smell a strong odor of gas. Please help thats all for now!!
Berniebbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the forum you have come to the right place! Many great helpful folks here.
First have you checked to make sure you are plugged into shore power?(house). If yes then check the breaker in the house is it on? If yes the locate your power plug in the rig. You may have the type that requires you to switch a plug in a compartment to get shore power. My first rig had 2 plugs one provided power from generator and then when we used shore power we had to unplug generator cord and plug in another cord in same compartment. Also check all breakers in the rig. They can be located in the craziest places. Look everywhere to include behind drawers, under the fridge,etc.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

The simplest things!!! I never thought to plug that in. Wow u r right, there are a lot of helpful folks here and im grateful.
Berniebbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Great! I spent days trying to figure out what everything on my coach is /does and 2 years later I still use a checklist to make sure I don't break something. You need to make sure all your gas is turned off including the oven pilot light . Then retry the lp detector. What does it do?
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

I don't mean to sound rude, but did you not do a walk-thru with the previous owner/dealer?
Does the expression 'money pit' mean anything? And the safety implications are enormous. I can't give you any advise on how to fix your problems, but I would consider professional help if it were mine (of course I wouldn't have bought it in the first place).

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

Commercial Member

Whoa, big fellas. If you have a gas leak you want to make sure that is taken care of before you start messing with the electricity. I would see what it would cost for a local dealer to do a timed pressure test and a lock out test on your Lp system. You can turn on the LP and go around with a spray bottle of soapy water and spray all of the fittings etc... and look for bubbles. Make sure that you do not use soap that contains chlorine or ammonia as it will corrode copper tubing. You can buy leak detector solution which also works well or even an electronic sniffer. FIND and FIX your gas leak or one day you will forget you have it on and get playing around with the electricity and, well you get the picture. We want you to live to tell us your RVing adventures.
RangeCampMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #7

You need to start taking and making notes so you can develop SOP's for everything concerning your rig. Then create a complete checklist for everything.

Don't try to remember it all as the minute you have a brainfart you start spending money, and we all have brainfarts with or without SOP's or checklists. But those with checklists have fewer, thus stay less poor than those who wing it 24/7.

The exception are those that have been doing it so long they are a walking checklist. They do exist, and I am not one of them. They will be the ones making fun of my post, because they can.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote