Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 06:11 AM   #1

Newbie first question

WE live in upstate new york and want to leave for warmer temps after the holidays. What freezing concerns should I address? We would not waste time getting where were going
Tomfinewood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From time to time I'll take a trip from ABQ to warmer climes in the winter. What seems to work well is to winterize with air, then fill the fresh tank prior to leaving but not run any of the fixtures, leaving the plumbing and fixtures empty. The theory is if it's below freezing at home or along the way, there's no issues and once I'm somewhere there's no risk of freezing, that's when I can run the pump and use the fresh water. Liquids in the fresh, gray and black tanks I'm not worried about, they take longer to freeze and aren't likely to be a problem if they did, just the plumbing I'm worried about. While underway we just drink bottled water and flush the toilet with same. For a day or two of travel it's a simple workaround.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfinewood1 View Post
WE live in upstate new york and want to leave for warmer temps after the holidays. What freezing concerns should I address? We would not waste time getting where were going
Without knowing what type of specific RV you're in, it's hard to answer. Also, which holidays are you referring to? Thanksgiving or New Years? 2 different answers based on those parameters. Colder after New Years, usually.
Mark's comments will work for most situations. We've even left home with empty tanks, and filled the fresh water at a truck stop, when we're out of the deep freeze. Bottled water is a great work around.
It also depends on whether your rig has inside or outside water lines and plumbing. If the water lines are all inside, you're probably safe to fill the fresh at home and charge the system, providing the inside of the rig is kept warm while you head south.
There's no exact answer, it will vary depending on some of those factors I mentioned.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:53 AM   #4

Great answers that's pretty much what i thought we live on south shore of Lake Ontario makes perfect sense I was thinking Christmas and New Years could be mild or could be nasty always a surprise thanks for the replies!
Tomfinewood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfinewood1 View Post
Winterize your plumbing using RV antifreeze or blowing all the water lines….
Your choice as to which method.

For the time and effort of protecting your water lines, it’s not worth the risk or costs if things freeze.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #6

blowing out with air only always leaves the chance of water in low spots, which by the the efficiencies of Murphy's Law are ALWAYS in the most inaccessible spots for a cracked pipe. Pushing RV antifreeze through is quick and easy and more importantly, foolproof
NoImMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:11 AM   #7

Tom
We are just S of you in the Corning area and frequently depart in Jan or Feb. I have always winterized using blow out AND pink... you might get by with just blowing out but you won't know until you try that and the last thing you want is to find a leak along the way you have to deal with... just not worth it.
What I do before leaving depends on the Wx at the time. I've had it home loading and filled water, flushed and sanitized when Wx is warmer. Ive also added a 1/3 - 1/2 tank fresh water AM of departure,1.= to use for flushing along the way, when temp were bitter cold. You can always carry some bottled water to get by a few day at start.
When heading S we most often stop at Candy Hill CG near Winchester, VA as they are open year round. I have flushed & sanitized there or our next stop. Candy Hill does have "winter rules" where they cut off water use at about 36 or 38* F? or 5:00 PM (which ever come first).
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags