Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

Newbie Questions

Hi Everyone. My wife and I have been in a 28 ft. trailer for five years and want to move to a MH. We like the small 24-26 diesel types, but think they might be a bit tight. We have some pets to travel with us, also. We need a walk around bed in the back and a sort of living area (kitchen, dining, sofa area) up front so she can hang out in the br and I can watch tv in the front area. We will want to tow a small car and are not sure if the 24 ft diesels can tow well. We don't want to get too long, so 24 to 29 is preferred. We see a lot of gassers, but worry about towing and gas mileage. What would you advise us to buy? Thanks for your help. I am sure you get this question over and over. We look forward to finding something soon.
Headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with rigs that size but I'm sure others will be along soon with advice.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here are some that you can buy new or look for a used Bay Star's that have short chassis and can pull a car.
You can maybe look up these coach's DSDP's many diesels on the road going back into the 90's and still giving owners a great ride for the buck.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the info so far. I guess what we need help with is in the 25 to 29 ft range, would it be better to get a gasser or the diesel? We do plan to tow a Saturn Vue or a CRV. We would welcome hearing from those of you in rigs this size that tow a car. What is your gas mileage? We don't know enough yet, but think diesel might be better. Love to hear from you. Thanks.
Headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #6

Hello and welcome. I have a 31 ft C. Tow a Avalon on a dolly all over. Just completed a 2500 mi. trip and averaged 9.1 mpg. No problem for the V10. I really dont think diesel for anything under say 38' necessary for casual travelar.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #7

We Have a 13 View G

We have a 13 Winnebago View G model and tow a 05 Civic SI at 2700 lbs. We have towed it for 18,000 miles in 1.5 yrs. We average 14.5 to 14.9. Our longest trip this year took us 2.5 months. We have three irish setters. The room is OK but when it rains it is a real challenge with the dogs. I love the way the View drives and rides. You do have more expense on the service side. The Views and Navions do hold their value well and are in great demand. I would drive one for sure.
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

Gassers can tow a vehicle just fine. We tow a 2009 Mazda 5 (3,457lbs) on a dolly and average 7.5 MPG with our 09 Safari 35', 8.1 Work Horse.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:18 AM   #9

If you got a 25' rv, would you really need a car? I have been poking around that size for a while. A chevy suburban is 20' long, so I think that 25 feet would be small enough to take most places. I like the sprinter diesels, mid teens + for mileage, and a decent set up.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #10

We have a 2006 WGO View 23J (listed in Classifieds.) I love the 17MPG (our new 31ft gasser gets 8MPG.) I've towed a Geo Tracker (2700lbs) for the past two years, strictly for the 4WD capability. Towing drops MPG to about 15.5. It has a rear corner bed that can be curtained off and the dining table is in the slideout so two people can have their own space. If you have a good tow bar, it's easy to unhook when faced with 8%+ grades where the rig may struggle. I know some people who have full timed in one for several years. I've also heard of people who use one as their daily driver. It's all a matter of compromise and knowing what's important for your needs.

Lee
2006 WGO View 23J (for sale)
2010 WGO Vista 30W (new to us)
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoran1973 View Post
If you got a 25' rv, would you really need a car? I have been poking around that size for a while. A chevy suburban is 20' long, so I think that 25 feet would be small enough to take most places. I like the sprinter diesels, mid teens + for mileage, and a decent set up.
It really depends on personal preference and how you intend to travel/camp.

A rig this size certainly isn't "too big" to take to the supermarket... but I know I would get very tired of breaking down and setting up camp every time someone needed to run to the store.

If it's used mostly for "destination camping" on weekends/vacations... it probably would fine with no toad.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #12

Love our Thor ACE 29.2 (27.1 floor plan is nice also) V10, 362 HP-Towing Ford Focus 8.2 average MPG. Plenty of power and is designed pet friendly with pet window at navigators feet and built in food and water dishes at the base of the shower. Tons of storage is the bonus. Happy hunting,shopping around to find what is right for you.
Ted
Old 11-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #13

I was looking at 24 to 26 footers and am now going to look at and most likely purchase a 29 foot Coachmen Leprechaun tomorrow. I quickly realized 24 footers were too small and mostly did not have a rear bed. 26 footers opened up a lot more options but not always a walk around rear bed which is what the wife wanted and everthing is pretty tight and condensed still. So that got me looking at 28 footers. 1 or 2 feet in a mh makes a lot of difference.

I'm still a little leery on the 29 footer just didn't want to go quite that long. But I'm getting a very good price and figure if we don't like it after the first couple outings we can easily get the money back out in trade value.

Bottom line is everthing in rv's is a trade off. Be flexible in your approach and you will wind up with something more to your liking.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #14

I do not know of any diesel in the 20-24 ft range that will accommodate two people and pets in comfort and tow a towed. Too small and too under rated. The price and cost difference over a bit larger gasser will pay for a lot of fuel. The heavier chassis and gearing of a 350 or 450 Ford chassis will do a better job. The towed will give you a better overall trip. More comfort and lower cost makes the gassers a much more attractive choice.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags