Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #1

Newbie Questions About Winter Storage

My wife and I finished our first summer with our Class C 2022 Entegra Esteem. I already have the RV professionally winterized, which was nice because the tech allowed me to assist him so I could also learn how to do it myself. But I still have some questions about what folks do for winter storage.

Right now I am storing the RV on pavement, outdoors, on the east side of a large building, which will help protect it from the predominantly western snow storms we get in our area. Since the RV has a solar panel on the roof, I'm hesitant about storing it indoors or covering it. But since we are in Michigan, I don't know if leaving it outdoors or uncovered is best.

1) What are your thoughts about leaving a Class C outdoors in the winter? Is it OK to leave it uncovered since it has a solar panel, or is it better to cover it?

2) Since I want to avoid flat spots on the tires, my plan is to either drive the RV for a few miles every two weeks, or, at least, move it forward or backward a few feet. It is stored only a few miles from my home so I will be able to manage this. What are your thoughts about the tires during the winter?

3) I also plan on running the generator for 10 minutes each month during the winter. Is this sufficient or should I do something different?

4) My wife and I have removed all personal items from inside the RV and placed dryer sheets in cabinets, cupboards, drawers, blankets, rugs, etc. We also have a refrigerator that props the doors slightly ajar. Necessary items for camping, like electrical, water, and sewer items are all stowed in storage bays. Is there anything else we also need to think about when it comes to storage, especially for keeping any critters from wanting to camp in the RV during the winter?

Since this will be our first winter storing our new RV, we'd like to do what's best. Any ideas about what's best for winter storage are greatly appreciated.

--------------------
DJ in Michigan
2022 Entegra Esteem 27U
DJ in Mich. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 05:15 PM   #2

If storing indoors is an option, I wouldn’t hesitate. Indoors always better than outdoors
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Definitely indoors, we keep ours in our climate controlled building between trips and definitely winter. Only start it when we use it. That also means winter. Never had flat spots on tires. You will get different opinions, but this has always worked for us .
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewag View Post
Definitely indoors, we keep ours in our climate controlled building between trips and definitely winter. Only start it when we use it. That also means winter. Never had flat spots on tires. You will get different opinions, but this has always worked for us .
Same practice here at home, and am in total agreement. I disconnect the battery(s) and let everything sleep for many months, over a year at times. Indoor storage under climate control is "true preservation", just like a rarely driven classic car.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:27 PM   #5

If you do leave it outside, be cautious about leaving downwind right beside a building. The snow will drift off the roof and build up on the motorhome. I parked too close to my home a couple of times and ended up shoveling the roof off every time a major snow hit. I wasn't just being picky, I am talking 2-3 feet of snow.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:21 PM   #6

I’m in Minnesota and found a farmer with room in a big pole barn so I can store our rig indoors, but lots of people store outdoors as well.

I disconnect and bring home all my batteries so I can put them on the trickle charger as necessary. But if you plan on driving it monthly, you should be fine leaving the batteries connected. Just make sure you get the engine running for long enough. (You can search this forum and find a lot of advice as to how long you should run the engine and drive in the winter)

I also put 2x12 scrap wood pieces under the tires during storage, and we haven’t had any issues while the rig sits for 6-months.

If you’re going to run the generator, you should probably run it for about 30 minutes and make sure you’re running a load on it. I think just running the heater would suffice. I installed a fuel cutoff switch and just run it dry for the winter.

As far as critters, clean everything really well. We put Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant around the RV, but there’s no way of knowing how well it works. I saw a couple mouse droppings in my cabinet one year and nothing the next. I think cleaning every area and surface is the best deterrent.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #7

Thanks for all of your replies. Getting information from all of you will help me make decisions on how best I can store and maintain my motorhome during the winter. I appreciate it.
DJ in Mich. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #8

A comment on batteries...
According to the US Army Corp of Engineers. FULLY CHARGED batteries are best stored at a temp of freezing or lower. Self discharge slows as temperatures drop. A fully charged battery will not freeze until temps get somewhere near -60F degrees. A 50% charged battery is good to about -40F degrees.

Clean the top of the battery and keep it dry. Completely disconnect from any possible power use.

If you are moving a battery to a warm environment, closer to +50 degrees or higher, a maintainer will be required. For modern batteries, they may be set on concrete. The plastic case of the battery is more than enough to prevent the discharge that used to happen on batteries.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #9

Hi. If your going to start the gen or engine, definitely allow time to reach operating temp to burn off condensation in the exhaust. Otherwise to just asking for the exhaust system to rot from inside out. I personally start my rig on 40 plus degree days in winter and run it at a high idle for several minutes. Maybe around 2k rpm, nothing crazy. Best of luck!! You’ll be fine.
Jmckinstris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, storage, winter